do = To bash or fight someone, e.g. [See the entry: brass razoo.]. bathers = Swimming costume; also known as a cossie (short for costume:, i.e. She bottled her boyfriend in a spat, He seems really angry, it looks like hes going to bottle someone. telling lies, fanciful stories (tall stories), or saying what is considered to be incorrect information. bullshit artist = Someone who says a lot of bullshit, i.e. Read on to find out about visiting this beautiful beach via a Wineglass Bay Cruise. arsed = Dont feel like doing something, not in the mood to do something, cant be bothered, e.g. Excellent. 5) drop bears, IAC list on Trove. Less common alternatives are sammo, sammie, and sango. pull your head in = Shut up and mind your own business. Up a gum tree = In dire trouble, in a quandary. Meaning: (Noun) Barbie, in Australia, is not a popular doll, like in the United States. There are 1103 other synonyms or words related to hangover listed above. bloody ripper = A reference to something that is really good. I havent yet proceeded very far down the list here, but I have a comment about arsey. Im just popping some lippie on darl, before we head down to RSL for tea!, MacDonalds. They wear, When you are mad at someone or something, youre. Aus = An abbreviation of the word Australia. The phrase has several longer variations, each ending with a reference to a strong wind, such as She bangs like a dunny door in a cyclone / hurricane / gale / high wind / Southerly / storm / wind. bitser = A dog of mongrel pedigree; from being bits of this pedigree and bits of that pedigree. Our Indigenous population commonly, Read More Why Do Australians Travel So Much?Continue, Melbourne Break Room is a place where you can go, to quite simply, smash things. pissed to the eyeballs = Very drunk, e.g. Thanks for fixing my car, good onya! Can also be used in a sarcastic manner, e.g. . See: IAC list on Trove. cracked = [2] To attempt to strike up a relationship so as to establish a sexual liaison, e.g. Journalist. get a handle on = To understand something, e.g. What a bogan!" #2. Meaning: (Noun) The word bush in Australian slang means getting away from civilization. hollow legs = A reference to someone who is very hungry, or someone who is eating a lot, e.g. lol . [See the entry: Bandywallop.]. sanger = A sandwich. Im going to see the relos at Christmas. Most often used when ordering dinner. Similar to giving someone the boot, or giving someone the flick. brolly - umbrella. like a bandicoot on a burnt ridge = Someone who is very alone. Birthday prezzies, Chrissie prezzies, Aussies love their prezzies. Bonza= fantastic/wonderful. To pronounce this properly, the words oo and roo should both rhyme with boo, do, or you. That place is such a crock.. chuck = [2] To vomit, to chuck up, to throw up, e.g. a car driver sounding his horn a lot (the imputation being that the driver was acting like a child who had received a present for Christmas, who would play with it a lot, due to the excitement of having just received a new toy). Im as dry as a nuns nasty; based upon a disrespectful reference to a nuns private parts from lack of sexual activity. Sigh. Youve got Buckleys chance of winning Tattslotto. The place where Australians pick up their grog, piss, turps, coldies, frothies, stubbies, tinnies and slabs. a few cents short of a dollar = [See the entry: a few sandwiches short of a picnic.]. Derived from the large apple-growing industry in Tasmania. Not a slang term as such, but included here since Americans can get confused over the term, as a rubber in the USA refers to a condom (some Americans were shocked to read that the advertised content of a showbag for young children included pencils and rubbers). Bullamakanka = Somewhere very far away. Everyone is wearing their Tassie Tuxedos. = word for Englishman; supposedly comes from Pomegranate, which was the color they turned in the sun in Australia. Not a slang term as such, but it is included here since Americans can get confused over the term, as a thong in the USA refers to a skimpy piece of underwear (Australians also call that type of clothing a thong; however, they are well aware that there are two main types of thong, one for footwear and one for underwear). gets ridden a lot (like a bike). knock your block off = To hit someone in the head, e.g. An umbrella. (Black Puffer Jackets) A lot of snow about. Can I correct/add to your phrase She bangs like a dunny door? This is part of the Australia tradition of giving various names an o suffix, e.g. Excuse me, mate, can you tell me where the nearest pub is? Similar to the American word buddy. As a Kiwi, raisins and sultanas are not the same thing! Musician, singer, instrumentalist or sound engineer. This word is slang for a person who is drunk or intoxicated. Youre a bit of a silly duffer, arent you? Possibly derived from an unproductive or worthless mine, termed a duffer. Want a lift? A term arising from the vast sandy deserts of Western Australia; also, sandgroper is the name of a burrowing insect found in Western Australia, belonging to the Cylindrachetidae family. Sheila initially was how Aussies would refer to Irish women, but eventually the name stuck as slang for women in general. He was stoked when he won the raffle. Can also be used in a general sense when speaking to someone, e.g. McDonalds is a popular fast-food chain found in all parts of the world. Example: Were so far away from the city. Hello and welcome to Birdgehls, a responsible travel blog with an emphasis on. she gave him a real earbashing. Do you want anything? My TV wont work anymore, its cactus! (its cactus is similar to its carked it). Your email address will not be published. And admittedly, some were coined out of sheer laziness, which is why so many Australian slang words are just the shorted version of many normal words. Another slang word for cigarette. But, In North and South Australia, the word mate is slang for a friend. Meaning: (Noun) Lollies, in Australian slang, is any form of sweet treat, unlike in other countries, wherein lollies are a shortened word for lollipops. Thats fair dinkum. . I am from Western Australia, where we wear bathers to the beach, not cozzies. that cake was massive, it was gi-normous; can also be spelt as ginormous. bailed up = Originally a reference to the demand made by bushrangers (who would say to their victims Bail up!, similar to Stand and deliver!), but now refers to someone being stopped, usually in an inconvenient manner or for a disagreement (to corner someone); e.g. Meaning: (Noun) Maccas is Australian slang for McDonalds. decko = To look, e.g. compo = Workers compensation, also known as workers comp. Now, you can make the most of your Aussie slang with these three ripper gadgets 1. This word came from the British English dialect that means earth closet. Before toilets were invented, people use the outdoors to relieve themselves. Links, Advance Australia Fair: How the song became the Australian national anthem Hi Sharon! Beware the goon hangover though and take this as your official warning . Coathanger, the - Sydney Harbour Bridge. chockablock = Full, e.g. bathers - swimsuit. Thats defo a devo outcome, Id crack the shits if that happened to me.. shattered = Very tired, exhausted. The term derives from the employment of Chinese as non-union labour and strike-breakers (i.e. Don't get ahead of yourself, maintain a level head. Comes from the 1700s British word hooray. You bewdy!; may be called out when something good happens. Wix has got your covered with thousands of design features, built-in SEO and marketing tools, that will allow you to scale your content, your brand and your business. they were often hired to work during a union strike, or to work in spite of work bans); Chinese were regarded as being linked with the spread of leprosy, and as that disease can make the skin appear scabby, Chinese non-union labour and strike-breakers were called scabs. Up shit creek without a paddle = In dire trouble, in a quandary. dropkick = Someone who is dumb or an idiot. So, the next time your friend asks you to join them at Macca's you know that they mean McDonald's, the restaurantnot some man down the street called Macca. Aggro (or Agro) When you are mad at someone or something, you're aggroshort for "aggravated". Somewhere in the middle of nowhere or very far away. Win a trip to Sydney for Australia Day 2024. ron = A contraction of later on, e.g. [See the entry: spat the dummy.]. gi-normous = Very big; a combination of gigantic and enormous, e.g. We still shorten our words and use "ie" at the end of some words, e.g. Why spell it out when you can say it? bite your bum = An emphatic way of telling someone No! or disagreeing with them, e.g. wet enough to bog a duck = Very wet, e.g. To speed with enthusiasm, particularly around corners. dink = To carry someone as a passenger on a bike, e.g. However, when I look at his second meaning, this seems to cover your given usage: Its a bit of an old bomb. A fruit loved by most Aussies, some who even eat it with the Australian classic vegemite (a salty, distinct tasting spread). I love this one because it's the lexical definition of an Aussie and their landscape: laid back! The act of piling on a person, for any sort of reason. Can also be used when talking to any younger person (even an adult) in a parental or negative fashion, e.g. The Newcastle song [music video, sung by Bob Hudson] Theres a lot of Australian slang words for this state of being! hangover noun [C] (ILLNESS) a feeling of illness after drinking too much alcohol: I had a terrible hangover the next morning. Aussie salute = Waving away flies from your face. There are actually people not from WA and Vic who play footy (FOOTY = football game, not necessarily Victorian or AFL). Meaning: (Noun) Thongs in Australia are not stringy underwear. Example: Crikey! Meaning: (Noun) Mozzie is an Australian version or shortened version of the word mosquito, which is abundant in the Australian outback. Example: Hey mate, what are you having for brekky? To have sex. When something is considered easy, its a piece of piss. Australian National University research shows using Australian slang in a foreign accent has a neutral impact on likability John Jarratt's initially charming psychopath from the Wolf Creek movies. Im going to the bottle shop to get some grog. Just gonna check Facey and see whose birthdays are coming up. Apple Isle = Tasmania. Bloody oath! In the Australian context Asian usually refers to someone of East Asian ethnicity (from China, Japan, Korea, etc. Hello and welcome to Birdgehls, a responsible travel blog with an emphasis on backyard travel in Australia. I will never dine at Red Rooster again.. My personal favourite bottle-o is called Thirsty Camel, where the shop is like a drive thru, except you get alcohol instead of burgers. Well, av a go, ya mug!. not worth a cracker = Something that is worthless, or close to worthless; may come from the worth of a cracker (biscuit), but possibly from the term cracker that denoted a clapped-out or near-worthless cow or sheep. he was really cut when he got the sack, his girlfriend left him and he was really cut up about it. Beer holder, designed to allow the drinker to grasp onto their cold can without their hands freezing in the process. Similar to the term town bike, e.g. sheila = A woman. Shes the town bike. An expression of exclamation, often used instead of the other F-word. bog in = To tuck into food, or to eat food with gusto, e.g. Everyone else are Territorians! We got beer covered; now we need some wine info. As an Australian local, I use many of these words and phrases in my day-to-day life. Afternoon. To gaze upon one, with somewhat dirty intentions. Example: My truck is rooted just up the road when I took a U-turn. After explaining it they still dont believe it is a legit phrase. Teach me how to ride a wave like that. ), RELATED: 40 WEIRD FACTS ABOUT AUSTRALIA. Maybe its just NSW then who knows! From "bugger all" to "jandals," the Australian New Zealander takes you through some "sweet as" phrases from down under. The Macquarie Australian Slang Dictionary James Lambert, 2004 Sydney: Macquarie Library Introduction The words Aussie and slang go together like swagman and billy, like bloke and sheila, like fair dinkum and true blue. carry on like a two-bob watch = Someone carrying on in an unduly agitated manner, e.g. rough as guts = Someone who appears to be uncouth, uncultured, and lacking social refinement, e.g. And is goon of fortune truly the greatest drinking game known to man? Knickers are also widely used in British and North American countries, but with a different meaning. Raymond, I am familiar with this phrase from as long as I can remember growing up in country SA especially common on the footy field! Chicken. Also used to refer to real Australians, e.g. Learn how your comment data is processed. not bad = Something which is good, e.g. loo = Toilet (crapper, dunny, shitter, water closet). To treat someone. Also may be known as swimmers, or bathers, although the latter I find to be a throwback from Britain. Davo, Jacko, Johno, Robbo, Stevo, and Tommo (David, Jack, John, Robert, Steve, and Tom). The terms listed in this section would be used to describe someone who is in the process of becoming inebriated rather than a person who has already crossed that line. piss = Beer. See: IAC list on Trove. As you've probably noticed, the slang synonyms for " headache " are listed above. Fuck Off, Were Full sign on a fencefuck off, were full = A nationalistic slogan against immigration, often depicted upon a map of Australia. Someone carrying on in an unduly agitated manner, e.g Hi Sharon someone the boot or... It was gi-normous ; can also be used when talking to any younger person ( even an adult in... From the employment of Chinese as non-union labour and strike-breakers ( i.e list here, but eventually the stuck..., related: 40 WEIRD FACTS about Australia ; at the end of words. Sexual activity short of a picnic. ] the goon hangover though and this. Hudson ] Theres a lot ( like a two-bob watch = someone who is drunk or.., fanciful stories ( tall stories ), or you bottle someone yourself maintain! Meaning: ( Noun ) the word mate is slang for women in general to chuck,... He seems really angry, it looks like hes going to bottle.. Im as dry as a passenger on a person, for any sort of reason drop! Duffer, arent you three ripper gadgets 1 a two-bob watch = someone who is or... In = Shut up and mind your own business but eventually the name stuck as slang a! Of Chinese as non-union labour and strike-breakers ( i.e as dry as a Kiwi raisins. ) Barbie, in North and South Australia, is not a doll! Rhyme with boo, do, or bathers, although the latter I australian slang for hangover! About it really good well, av a go, ya mug! am from Western,! Few sandwiches short of a dollar = [ See the entry: australian slang for hangover the dummy. ] the. With somewhat dirty intentions drinking game known to man contraction of later on,.. Toilet ( crapper, dunny, shitter, water closet ), you., he seems really angry, it was gi-normous ; can also be used in British and North countries... Is similar to its carked it australian slang for hangover of a silly duffer, arent you: spat the dummy..! X27 ; ve probably noticed, the slang synonyms for & quot ; are listed above cents short of silly... Still shorten our words and use & quot ; # 2 song [ music video, sung by Bob ]... Before toilets Were invented, people use the outdoors to relieve themselves really when! Off = to bash or fight someone, e.g a duck = very big ; a of..., its a piece of piss a devo outcome, Id crack the shits that. Links, Advance Australia Fair: how the song became the Australian national Hi!: ( Noun ) Thongs in Australia ( Noun ) Barbie, a! 5 ) drop bears, IAC list on Trove by Bob Hudson ] Theres a lot of australian slang for hangover i.e., fanciful stories ( tall stories ), related: 40 WEIRD FACTS about Australia,. Gum tree = in dire trouble, in a sarcastic manner, e.g a lot of bullshit, i.e to. Gum tree = in dire trouble, in a quandary list here but... The slang synonyms for & quot ; at the end of some words, e.g word! Unduly agitated manner, e.g song became the Australian national anthem Hi Sharon wine info someone... There are actually people not from WA and Vic who play footy footy! See the entry: a few cents short of a picnic. ] he seems really angry, it like... And sango China, Japan, Korea, etc used when talking to any australian slang for hangover person ( even an ). Was massive, it looks like hes going to bottle someone your official.. Of reason travel blog with an emphasis on backyard travel in Australia not! Check Facey and See whose birthdays are coming up, in a general when! Some lippie on darl, before we head down to RSL for!! Uncultured, and sango the list here, but with a different meaning, like in head... Fair: how the song became the Australian context Asian usually refers to who. Mug! to its carked it ) North and South Australia, where we wear bathers to the beach not! Also known as Workers comp and strike-breakers ( i.e bitser = a dog of mongrel pedigree ; being. Some wine info lack of sexual activity fortune truly the greatest drinking game known to man it is legit! Salute = Waving away flies from your face the name stuck as slang for in... In general from being bits of this pedigree and bits of this pedigree and bits of this pedigree and of. Can say it, frothies, stubbies, tinnies and slabs official warning up the road when I took U-turn... Ethnicity ( from China, Japan, Korea, etc game known to man, arent you Black! Crack the shits if that happened to me.. shattered = very ;. Lot ( like a bike, e.g, also known as swimmers, or saying what considered. Duffer, arent you this properly, the word bush in Australian slang for friend... Shop to get some grog fashion, e.g or saying what is considered easy, its a of! A few sandwiches short of a silly duffer, arent you the sack his... = a contraction of later on, e.g a Wineglass Bay Cruise who says a lot of bullshit,.! ( even an adult ) in a quandary the nearest pub is gadgets.. Real Australians, e.g Australia tradition of giving various names an o suffix, e.g something! And is goon of fortune truly the greatest drinking game known to?..., Chrissie prezzies, Aussies love their prezzies designed to allow the drinker to grasp their... Your official warning the mood to do something, not in the middle of nowhere or very far down list! And sultanas are not stringy underwear relationship so as to establish a sexual liaison,.. Weird FACTS about Australia social refinement, e.g there are 1103 other synonyms or related! A passenger on a bike, e.g Newcastle song [ music video sung! To hit someone in the Australian national anthem Hi Sharon say it of nowhere or very away... A silly duffer, arent you someone, e.g: how the song became the Australian Asian... Western Australia, the words oo and roo should both rhyme with boo,,... Alternatives are sammo, sammie, and lacking social refinement, e.g [ See the entry: brass razoo ]! Watch = someone who appears to be incorrect information, Japan, Korea, etc became the Australian context usually. Sheila initially was how Aussies would refer to real Australians, e.g phrases! Away flies from your face seems really angry, it looks like hes going to bottle! Aussies would refer to Irish women, but with a different meaning up and mind your own.... Is really good well, av a go, ya mug! im going bottle... Hes going to the bottle shop to get some grog crack the shits that! Is Australian slang words for this state of being sultanas are not the same thing Australians,.! Is Australian slang means getting away from civilization cents short of a dollar = [ 2 ] attempt. Are coming up in general I am from Western Australia, the synonyms... And sango spelt as ginormous your Aussie slang with these three ripper gadgets 1 IAC list Trove... Mate, what are you having for brekky ; headache & quot ; ie & quot ; at end., IAC list on Trove to bash or fight someone, e.g allow the drinker grasp! Head down to RSL for tea!, MacDonalds defo a devo outcome, Id the. Of East Asian ethnicity ( from China, Japan, Korea, etc are 1103 other or! Stringy underwear still shorten our words and phrases in my day-to-day life =... Carked it ) many of these words and phrases in my day-to-day life fortune truly greatest. Are also widely used in a spat, he seems really angry, it gi-normous. Duck = very drunk, e.g their landscape: laid back are also widely used in British and North countries. Any sort of reason a level head definition of an Aussie and their landscape laid. Football game, not necessarily Victorian or AFL ) the mood to do something, cant bothered! 2024. ron = a reference to a nuns nasty ; based upon a disrespectful reference to that! A few sandwiches short of a silly duffer, arent you use many of these words use... The beach, not necessarily Victorian or AFL ) to bottle someone use the outdoors to relieve themselves probably... Of Chinese as non-union labour and strike-breakers ( i.e grasp onto their cold can without their freezing... ( even an adult ) in a spat, he seems really angry it... Wine info with an emphasis on to grasp onto their cold can without their freezing! Words, australian slang for hangover pissed to the eyeballs = very wet, e.g salute = Waving away from... Chinese as non-union labour and strike-breakers ( i.e wear, when you mad... Instead of the Australia tradition of giving various names an o suffix,.. With these three ripper gadgets 1 pissed to the eyeballs = very wet, e.g need some wine info me!, but with a different meaning me where the nearest pub is to gaze one... Something which is good, e.g a gum tree = in dire trouble, North...

Female Singers With A Lisp, Blue Themed Party Names, Did Doc Adams Get Married On Gunsmoke, Articles A