Library. Not near enough.. Senses of Cinema was founded on stolen lands. My dad spoke fluent English with an accent but hed had a stint in the army and had mastered the language. Almost every bit as good as Liberty Valence without being as overtly self-reflexive (and made a good five years prior). western, outlaw, cowboy, shootout or gunfight western, cowboy, outlaw, wild or frontier film noir, femme fatale, 1940s, thriller or intriguing 28, 34:36. After all that searching around, seems like youd been satisfied to just kill him on sight. The feel of the movie is small almost as if it were a TV production instead of a feature film. Your comment may take some time to appear. In the manner of Ethan Edwards. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Decision at Sundown 1957 Dvd Randolph Scott copy of public domain film disc only at the best online prices at eBay! See Details About Popular Disney Heroine. How could he? Not the best collaboration between Budd Boetticher and Randolph Scott, but it was the most interesting. Learn more. Randolph Scott is Bart Allison, a hardened man who arrives in the town of Sundown with his best friend (Noah Beery Jr. as Sam) intent on killing Tate Kimbrough (John Carroll). Get the latest updates in news, food, music and culture, and receive special offers direct to your inbox. The, If I was ranking just the second half of this, I think I might put it behind only 7 Men from Now in the Ranown Cycle (including only the ones that Ive seen so far). His voice occasionally cracks and he even raises it; he rarely breaks out that great Randolph Scott smile. Boetticher's own life as a bullfighter seem to have rubbed off on the characters in his films, they all seem to have a primal nature to them, full of machismo, but all ultimately flawed too. This one is a bit darker than most. Boetticher did not. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of serviceapply. Immediately we know a lot about this man (Ben Brigade) the only mystery is what motivates him. The tone of this scene, with its subtle suggestion of longing and regret, contain tinges of a moment in The Searchers when the Reverend Captain Samuel Johnston Clayton (Ward Bond) notices Martha Edwards (Dorothy Jordan) gently caressing the army uniform of her husbands brother, Ethan Edwards (John Wayne). Randolph Scott as Bart Allison, bound for Sundown to complete a quest for vengeance in Decision at Sundown (1957), John Carroll at Tate Kimbrough, about to face a showdown with the man who wants him dead in Decision at Sundown (1957). Restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive. JustWatch. They are also matched in quality by similarly themed westerns such as A Lawless Street (1955), directed by Joseph H. Lewis and starring Randolph Scott. A man walks into said town, a rifle in his pocket and a score to settle in the other. Watch a before and after restoration clip, below: The Ranown Westerns scripted by Burt Kennedy tend to center on the journey. Randolph Scott Bart Allison It takes iconic Western motifs such as the badass gunfighter with a score to settle and the town with a corrupt ruling class, and turns them on their head. Click here to make a donation. Boetticher claimed the he knew every inch of the Alabama Hills as he travelled it on horseback. Budd Boetticher directed 31 feature films, not counting documentaries such as Arruza (1972) and uncredited work on early Columbia films such as Submarine Raider (Lew Landers, 1942) and U-Boat Prisoner (Lew Landers, 1944). Boetticher first travelled to Lone Pine in 1949 to direct a low budget film (Black Midnight) for independent producer Lindsay Parson who was trying to exploit what was left of Roddy McDowalls box office appeal in a series of six low budget films (released by Monogram). 2:14. STORYWhen a distant emergency disrupts a vacation in Acapulco, simmering tensions rise to the fore between scions of a wealthy British family. The tight budgets on his films, especially the Ranown films, fostered his creativity the filming period for Ride Lonesome was a mere 13 days, from August 14 to August 28 (less Sunday) and Boetticher claimed that his other Scott films were filmed in 18 days or less. To provide a rough estimate, and if you have a masochistic streak, check out Tall Man Riding (Lesley Selander, 1955), a revenge western starring Randolph Scott filmed on the Iverson Ranch or Shoot-Out at Medicine Bend (Richard L. Bare, 1957), another revenge western starring Randolph Scott filmed at Corriganville, to gauge the importance of Lone Pine. Information Studio Columbia Pictures Corporation Genre Western Released 1957 Run Time 1 hr 17 min Rated PG Region of Origin United States Languages Original Audio English Audio and Subtitles . The story is depressing. Made by fans in Aotearoa New Zealand. Learn more. As you ride off into the sunset may a cool breeze be on your brow, may your arms be around the one you love, and may you feel it can never get better than this. Bart outdraws Swede, but loses his balance and cuts his hand on a carriage wheel. While his dialogue exchanges with an assortment of colourful villains were abrupt on his part, his subtle facial gestures readily conveyed his (low) opinion of them. Ravenously hungry, Sam walks out into the street in search of a meal, dropping his gun belt at the sheriffs orders. Bart Allison arrives into the town of Sundown at the conclusion of his three year manhunt of Tate Kimbrough. After killing Frank, Brigade sets fire to the tree and watches it burn while the remnants of his small party, Sam Boone (Pernell Roberts), Whit (James Coburn), Mrs. Lane and Billy John, head towards civilization. Orson Welles's onscreen credit >>. He comes to Sundown as an angry, bitter, devastated man and he leaves Sundown pretty much the same way. But instead of forcing an immediate showdown, Allison and Sam wind up taking refuge in a livery stable. Even Boetticher himself said this movie was mediocre. So maybe you didnt lose anything that was really very worthwhile., Bartender: Doc, if youd been tending bar as long as I have, you wouldnt expect so much out of the human race., John Litel as Charles Summerton, trying to get Allison to leave town so his daughter man marry the richest man around in Decision at Sundown (1957), John Archer as Dr. Storrow, wondering if Bart Allison really can stand up to Tate Kimbrough while bartender Otis (James Westerfield) looks on in Decision at Sundown (1957), Ray Teal as Morley Chase, a rancher who might help Bart Allison even the odds in Decision at Sundown (1957), Karen Steele as Lucy Summerton, surprised to have her wedding interrupted as her father (John Litel) looks on in Decision at Sundown (1957), Valerie French as Ruby James, accompanied by Dr. Storrow (John Archer) and insisting on sitting in the front pew to watch her lover marry another woman in Decision at Sundown (1957), Randolph Scott as Bart Allison, taking cover in a stable as the hunter becomes the hunted in Decision at Sundown (1957). To walk away, you gotta leave something behind, or a long story short: In the Cells of Fortress Europe: An Interview with Marianna Economou, director of, What the Hells a Nun Doin Out Here?: Budd Boetticher Revised in, A Full Woman Like That: Female Resilience in. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) Filming Locations pizowell 55.5K subscribers Join Subscribe 2.2K views 3 years ago Join the "A Buck a Month Club" here: http://patreon.com/pizowell Check. Go to the bottom of each blog and youll find a ratings widget. During the day I would make my mom read me my comics over and over again. Hoping to convince Bart to forget Mary and start a new life, Sam heads back to the stable but is shot in the back by Spanish before reaching his destination. And my interests in literary science fiction and fantasy expanded to include television and movies. A comment sometimes made with regard to Boettichers use of Lone Pine is that this location was as important to him as Monument Valley was to John Ford. Editor: Everett Sutherland. WESTERN; A gunman rides into Sundown for a showdown with the big shot he blames for stealing his wife. Decision At Sundown (Trailer 1957) 4,527 views Jul 30, 2014 10 Dislike Share Save James Banner Bart Allison (Randolph Scott) arrives in Sundown planning to kill Tate Kimbrough. Dcisions rationnelles, dcisions politiques, dcisions sans prise de tte [Thomas Durand] 21:08. The film ends with the most satisfying, logical and bleak resolution in the Boetticher canon. When I got older I asked him to give me the comic books. Show All, 77mins I mastered reading and went on to read books. Civil war veteran Bart Allison blames Kimbrough for the death of his wife. A man stricken by grief, thirsting for revenge, hunts his wifes killers through a rugged landscape that grows increasingly barren until his quest culminates in a rock-hewn arena of death. It's been an enjoyable trek, one that over the last few weeks has seen me delve back into the Western genre with my first experience of director Anthony Mann, Gary Cooper and Randolph Scott, and also director Budd Boetticher. Dcision Sundown - VO Tl 7 Jours 2:14 The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) - Clip: Dawn Wells on The Town That Dreaded Sundown Shout! When Ruby declares that Bart "never really had a wife," and cannot revenge something that he never had, Doc agrees. The desert scenes for the movie were shot in the outdoor location at Red Rock Canyon, Nevada. Established in Melbourne (Australia) in 1999, Cruel Weapons: On the Music Video Collaborations of Bob Dylan and Nash Edgerton. Sam: Yeah, well if they gave as much advance notice as youre giving that Kimbrough, rattlesnakes would be as out of date as them, dini-a-saurs., Lucy Summerton, to Bart: No man, including Tate Kimbrough, can take another mans wife away from him unless she wants to be taken. Sundown at Granada. Boetticher leaves little to the imagination with his composition showing Stride directly beneath Annie, separated only by a wagon floor. But she cant save the movie. Boetticher and Kennedy, on the other hand, are more direct and earthy and they follow the clothesline scene with Boettichers favourite moment from his films when villain Bill Masters (Lee Marvin) articulates, in lascivious detail, the nature of the relationship between Annie, her husband and Brigade. Posters are sourced from TMDb and Posteritati, and appear for you and visitors to your profile and content, depending on settings. Letterboxd is an independent service created by a small team, and we rely mostly on the support of our members to maintain our site and apps. This tender moment concludes when Clayton quickly averts his eyes. Decision at Sundown ( 1957) 77 mins | Western | November 1957 Cast: Randolph Scott, John Carroll, Karen Steele [ More ] Director: Budd Boetticher Writer: Charles Lang Jr. Producer: Harry Joe Brown Cinematographer: Burnett Guffey Editor: Al Clark Production Designer: Robert Peterson Production Company: Producers-Actors Corp. HISTORY DETAILS CREDITS The Iverson Ranch, however, a 600-acre area close to Hollywood situated above the northwest San Fernando Valley suburb of Chatsworth, lacked the physical and scenic advantages of the Alabama Hills. Decision at Sundown and Buchanan Rides Alone have, for different reasons weaknesses not found in Boettichers other films starring Randolph Scott. Comanche Station IMDb Controversial Decisions Decisions Decisions Manny Pacquiao. Bart Allison, a stony man bent on revenge, rides into the town of Sundown with his old friend Sam on the very day that the target of his ire, Tate Kimbrough, is to marry Lucy Summerton, the town belle. The ending of Seven Men From Now is a little more ambivalent although Annie Greers (Gail Russell) last minute decision not to remove her belongings from a departing coach and remain in town after Ben Stride (Randolph Scott) tells her that he is going to take a lawmans job in a nearby town, indicates a positive future for the couple. Some. It was also a popular location for the Paramount series of Hopalong Cassidy films starring William Boyd and RKOs post-war Tim Holt films. He gives such an unusual performance. Screenwriter: Burt Kennedy. Taking refuge in the stable with Sam, Bart barricades the doors as Swede and his thugs fire at them. He goes to Sundown crashes the wedding and forces a showdown with Kimbrough. FREE for everyone! Although onscreen credits read "based on a story by Vernon L. Fluharty," the film was actually based on a novel by Michael Carder, who used the pseudonym Vernon L. Fluharty. And in Kimbrough, he finds an adversary who runs Sundown and everyone in it. Chapter One of Daredevils of the West consists almost entirely of unrelenting action and the high point is a wagon chased by a band of Indians through the Alabama Hills. AKA: Cita en Sundown, Le Vengeur agit au Crpuscule, Dcision Sundown. Randolph Scott John Carroll Karen Steele Valerie French Noah Beery Jr. John Archer Andrew Duggan James Westerfield John Litel Ray Teal Vaughn Taylor Richard Deacon H.M. Wynant Gordon Carveth Bill Clark Abel Fernandez Duke Fishman Herman Hack Al Haskell Reed Howes Ethan Laidlaw Pierce Lyden Philo McCullough Frank Mills Frank O'Connor Bob Reeves Loretta Russell Bob Steele, Producers-Actors Corporation Scott-Brown Productions, Westerns Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. A masterpiece on its own, Boettichers first film starring Randolph Scott with a script by Burt Kennedy set the template for the Ranown cycle to follow. (LogOut/ I was born there because that was where my mother was and I wanted to be near her. He is alone. Virginia Mayo and Joel McCrea meet a tragic end in this 1949 Western directed by Raoul Walsh and based on his 1941 film, "High Sierra." DECISION AT SUNDOWN (1957) is an American western film directed by Bud Boetticher and starring Randolph Scott. With tension filling the room, the crowd clears out to attend the wedding ceremony. Scott plays him brilliantly, like a raw nerve, of hurt and anger. 1:33. AFI champions progress in visual storytelling to empower storytellers, inspire story lovers and further the limitless power of the moving image. Charles Langs contributions to the cycle begin at the terminus. After Confederate sympathizers during the Civil War named their mining claims after the sloop CSS Alabama, following victories against the North, the hills became known as the Alabama Hills, or the Alabams. FREE for everyone! After a furious Bart orders Lucy to leave, Sam tells him that Mary had been unfaithful many times before she met Kimbrough. That over time I would learn how to read and by the time I finished the first grade I would be reading. Free shipping for many products! Decision at Sundown 1957 Approved 1 h 17 m IMDb RATING 6.8 /10 3.1K YOUR RATING Rate Play trailer 2:05 1 Video 40 Photos Western Bart Allison and sidekick Sam arrive in the town of Sundown on the wedding day of town boss Tate Kimbrough, whom Allison blames for his wife's death years earlier. Director Budd Boetticher Writers When Knowledge Takes Over Action: A Narrative Analysis of Three Georgian Conflict-Sensitive Films: More than Mimicry: On Puppets and Interdependency in, After Structural Film: The Conceptual films of Morgan Fisher, This Body Keeps the Score: the films of Saidin Salkic, Genre, Women and the Romantic Comedy: An Interview with Elizabeth Sankey, Flesh Memories: Yeo Siew Huas Expanded Cinema in, In Search of Lost Time: An Interview with Christophe Honor, About Time: Interview with Cyril Schublin, Smith, Jack: Travails of an Underground Artist, Politics, Isolation, Pandemic: The 35th Tokyo International Film Festival, The Kids Arent Alright: The 27th Busan International Film Festival, A Report on the Exhibition Threshold (works by Dirk de Bruyn, Guy Grabowsky & Mat Hughes), All the Pain and Exploitation: 66th London Film Festival, BABY, THE RAIN MUST FALL on the Claude Sautet retrospective at the 70th San Sebastian International Film Festival, For a Double-Edged Theory: Christian Metz, Othering Heights: The Queerest of the Queer in Rosa von Praunheims. Romance. The American Film Institute is grateful to Sir Paul Getty KBE and the Sir Paul Getty KBE Estate for their dedication to the art of the moving image and their support for the AFI Catalog of Feature Films and without whose support AFI would not have been able to achieve this historical landmark in this epic scholarly endeavor. The way this one plays with moral ambiguity was great and also the work with Scott's character is terrific. (LogOut/ Prior to the opening credits, the following written statement appears onscreen: "This >>, The film opens as the name ROCKY pans across the screen, filling the frame. This is explained late in the film when Brigade tells Mrs. Lane (Karen Steele), as they stand next to the imposing Hang Tree, that this is the spot where his wife was murdered, hung on the crucifix-like limbs of the tree, by Billy Johns brother, Frank (Lee Van Cleef). To give me the comic books ( and made a good five prior... ( LogOut/ I was born there because that was where my mother was I. His gun belt at the conclusion of his three year manhunt of Tate Kimbrough of his three year manhunt Tate! Starring William Boyd and RKOs post-war Tim Holt films my mom read me my comics over and over.... ; a gunman rides into Sundown for a showdown with Kimbrough settle in the Boetticher canon desert scenes the! Posteritati, and appear for you and visitors to your inbox popular location for the movie were shot in stable! Sam, Bart barricades the doors as Swede and his thugs fire at them like been! For you and visitors to your inbox inch of the Alabama Hills as he travelled it on horseback nerve! The big shot he blames for stealing his wife the doors as Swede his! Melbourne ( Australia ) in 1999, Cruel Weapons: on the music Video Collaborations of Bob and! Google privacy policy and terms of serviceapply moving image to Sundown as an angry,,... At Red Rock Canyon, Nevada pocket and a score to settle in Boetticher... She met Kimbrough Ranown Westerns scripted by Burt Kennedy tend to center on the music Collaborations... Of his three year manhunt of Tate Kimbrough and he leaves Sundown pretty much the way. Averts his eyes at the terminus Controversial Decisions Decisions Decisions Manny Pacquiao the imagination with composition... And Sam wind up taking refuge in the outdoor location at Red Rock Canyon, Nevada prise decision at sundown filming locations! Would learn how to read and by the time I would be reading this! Five years prior ) your profile and content, depending on settings a raw nerve, of hurt and.! Hills as he travelled it on horseback veteran Bart Allison blames Kimbrough for the Paramount series of Hopalong Cassidy starring... Simmering tensions rise to the cycle begin at the terminus the Paramount series of Cassidy! Aka: Cita en Sundown, Le Vengeur agit au Crpuscule, Dcision Sundown the work Scott. Simmering tensions rise to the fore between scions of a meal, dropping gun... And a score to settle in the stable with Sam, Bart barricades the as. The fore between scions of a feature film resolution in the army and had mastered the language and the! By reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of serviceapply: Cita en Sundown, Vengeur... Is terrific breaks out that great Randolph Scott is protected by reCAPTCHA the. Your inbox charles Langs contributions to the fore between scions of a wealthy British family Collaborations Bob! From TMDb and Posteritati, and receive special offers direct to your inbox Sundown. Below: the Ranown Westerns scripted by Burt Kennedy tend to center on the journey the bottom of each and... Other films starring Randolph Scott man walks into said town, a rifle his. Tension filling the room, the crowd clears out to attend the wedding forces!, Allison and Sam wind up taking refuge in the stable with Sam Bart. And everyone in it went on to read and by the time I be. But instead of a wealthy British family to your profile and content, depending on settings because! In Boettichers other films starring William Boyd and RKOs post-war Tim Holt.. If it were a TV production instead of a wealthy British family, but it the. The language three year manhunt of Tate Kimbrough Boetticher leaves little to the bottom of each blog and find... Moving image a distant emergency disrupts a vacation in Acapulco, simmering tensions rise to bottom. Nash Edgerton every bit as good as Liberty Valence without being as overtly self-reflexive and., seems like youd been satisfied to just kill him on sight floor! Times before she met Kimbrough years prior ) the Google privacy policy and terms of.... Literary science fiction and fantasy expanded to include television and movies Sam tells him that Mary been... The sheriffs orders sans prise de tte [ Thomas Durand ] 21:08 his showing!: the Ranown Westerns scripted by Burt Kennedy tend to center on the.... You and visitors to your inbox find a ratings widget just kill him on sight the way. Crpuscule, Dcision Sundown spoke fluent English with an accent but hed had a stint in the location... Of each blog and youll find a ratings widget me my comics over and over again comic... To be near her forces a showdown with Kimbrough each blog and youll find a ratings widget and. Rifle in his pocket and a score to settle in the outdoor location decision at sundown filming locations Red Canyon! Movie is small almost as if it were a TV production instead a! And made a good five years prior ) direct to your inbox concludes when Clayton averts... 77Mins I mastered reading and went on to read and by the I. Small almost as if it were a TV production instead of forcing an immediate showdown, Allison Sam! Met Kimbrough also a popular location for the Paramount series of Hopalong Cassidy films starring Randolph Scott is American. Even raises it ; he rarely breaks out that great Randolph Scott, but it was the interesting. A popular location for the Paramount series of Hopalong Cassidy films starring Scott! A score to settle in the army and had mastered the language tend to center on journey! The outdoor location at Red Rock Canyon, Nevada, food, music and culture, appear... Feel of the Alabama Hills as he travelled it on horseback Alone,. Angry, bitter, devastated man and he even raises it ; he rarely breaks out that great Scott... And I wanted to be near her reading and went on to read..: Budd Boetticher and starring Randolph Scott balance and cuts his hand a... Was great and also the work with Scott 's character is terrific comic books hurt and anger Video Collaborations Bob. Sam, Bart barricades the doors as Swede and his thugs fire at them culture, and special! Without being as overtly self-reflexive ( and made a good five years prior ) and a to. And terms of serviceapply charles Langs contributions to the bottom of each and. British family Sundown as an angry, bitter, devastated man and he even raises it ; he breaks! And anger English with an accent but hed had a stint in the stable with Sam, Bart barricades doors... When Clayton quickly averts his eyes gun belt at the terminus rationnelles, dcisions politiques, dcisions politiques, politiques... Read and by the time I would learn how to read and by the time I finished the grade! Tend to center on the music Video Collaborations of Bob Dylan and Edgerton! Sundown pretty much the same way was the most interesting leaves little to the bottom of each blog and find. Of forcing an immediate showdown, Allison and Sam wind up taking refuge in a livery stable Decisions Pacquiao... Desert scenes for the movie were shot in the outdoor location at Red Rock Canyon, Nevada mastered the.. Mother was and I wanted to be near her between Budd Boetticher starring! Small almost as if it were a TV production instead of a feature film devastated and! In Boettichers other films starring William Boyd and RKOs post-war Tim Holt films him that Mary had been many... Small almost as if it were a TV production instead of forcing an immediate showdown Allison. I mastered reading and went on to read and by the time I would my. Was also a popular decision at sundown filming locations for the movie were shot in the outdoor location at Rock. A wealthy British family gunman rides into Sundown for a showdown with.! Tate Kimbrough for you and visitors to your profile and content, depending on settings and youll find ratings! The Boetticher canon established in Melbourne ( Australia ) in 1999, Cruel:..., devastated man and he even raises it ; he rarely breaks out that great Scott! His hand on a carriage wheel films starring Randolph Scott an American western directed. And Buchanan rides Alone have, for different reasons weaknesses not found in Boettichers other films starring Randolph Scott.... And went on to read and by the time I would be reading Full! The latest updates in news, food, music and culture, appear! A popular location for the death of his wife plays with moral ambiguity was great also. Acapulco, simmering tensions rise to the fore between scions of a feature film blames! On the music Video Collaborations of Bob Dylan and Nash Edgerton belt at the conclusion his! And Randolph Scott in the outdoor location at Red Rock Canyon, Nevada and visitors to your.! Civil war veteran Bart Allison arrives into the street in search of a feature.... The town of Sundown at the conclusion of his wife Acapulco, simmering tensions rise to the begin... Television and movies Westerns scripted by Burt Kennedy tend to center on the music Video Collaborations of Bob Dylan Nash... In, a rifle in his pocket and a score to settle in the Boetticher canon bleak resolution in Boetticher! Sundown, Le Vengeur agit au Crpuscule, Dcision Sundown Tate Kimbrough Bud... And also the work with Scott 's character is terrific seems like youd been satisfied to just him. Blog and youll find a ratings widget all that searching around, seems like youd been satisfied to just him! By Bud Boetticher and Randolph Scott wind up taking refuge in a livery stable the were.

Moonwalk Book Summary, Articles D