". But the worst thing is your silly and smug arrogance. "you are going to need some rehab," she says, >> "I know.">. The (unnamed) woman in the mask who warns Doctor Cruise is the same woman who ends up dead in the morgue. >Bill was not yet sure it was Mandy from the bathroom, till he happened to >see the news story and saw the name "Amanda," then it started to come >together. I trhink Steven Lizberger is right. They're not 'big words', just words you are clearly unfamiliar with,apparently, words you'd therefore gleefully ridicule precisely becauseof your ignorance of them, it seems; but rather than gracefully admitthis, you instead attempt to denigrate the poster for having the gallto use words that challenge your smugonautic and myopic pomposity. As 1999 approached, what little was known about Eyes Wide Shut was almost indecently tantalising. Bill has not made any definitive connection at that stage between> Mandy and the masked woman, only - at most - between Mandy and the> Amanda from the news report, both of them having suffered drug> overdoses. I am ready Technology has caught up with his disguises andcovers. Deleuze probably realized how stupid he was before he jumped out that window. >>In a big crowd of masked people, Zeigler (his eyes give away who he is)>, > So why didn't Bill also recognise the identity of this masked figure> on the basis of his eyes?<<<<<<<<<<<<, > This is simple. <<<<<<<<<<. Before warning him, the Like much of the director's work like The Shining, movie fans love to debate the symbolism and meaning of Eyes Wide Shut. At what point do we decide whether Corpse Mandy's very. No comments. 1. Take another listen. Are you suggesting that the people running Somerton would let the> women there know that there was an interloper? WebEyes Wide Shut Mask Woman - Etsy Browse a wide selection of eyes wide shut mask woman and face coverings available in various fabrics and configurations, made by a My extra-fat dictionary yields the following: "rhi'zome, n. A rootlike stem under or along the ground,ordinarily in a horizontal position, which usually sends out roots fromfrom its lower surface and leafy shoots from its upper surface.". <<<<<<<<<<<<<. It's pronounced Paw-rick, not Pad-raig. WebDirected by Stanley Kubrick Writing Credits Cast (in credits order) verified as complete Produced by Music by Jocelyn Pook Cinematography by Larry Smith (lighting People were dancing, there was music wearing costumes, and although it was strange, calling it a "party," would not be unusual in the slightest. >In a big crowd of masked> people, Zeigler (his eyes give away who he is). Please either stop orshape up. - Ziegler> wasn't concerned about her health, just eager to get rid of her so as> to avoid any potential social embarrassment, "Bill, this is just> between us").>>> What is interesting is that the film's very ambiguity concerning the> identities of the three women (Mandy, masked woman, woman in morgue),> sets up a desire to 'fill in' all the film's narrative gaps and> deadlocks, a desire to shut down such uncertainty, to give - just like> Ziegler - an easy, 'commonsensical' black and white 'explanation' of> events. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<, > It's "clear," after studying the film after many viewing.>, > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Ziegle'sr story here once again, and then retrospectively> interpellating and internalising it, re-interpreting all the earlier> events of the film in strict accordance with his frankly deeply> suspect account? I mean hewas filmed only in england, but the photography behind him in thatglove clapping shot is projected or whatever and so that means that hedidn't care that mucha bout switching things around like actresses andstuff, it's about masks anyway the movie is. Given how upset she appeared following his confession, it's very unlikely she knew exactly what he was out doing, however. All of this could have been set up by Alice, who asks, Bill in the beginning, "why do you think Zeigler invites us to these? It iscertainly distinctly possible that the woman at the party is otherthan the woman at the Somerton ritual, though the former does appearto be the Mandy that ends up in the morgue (she never made it to'rehab', as Dr Bill had suggested but never bothered following up,just later shunted home by Ziegler's heavies); remember, we only haveZiegler's explanation/confirmation that they are the same 'Mandy',hardly a reliable witness given his contradictory assertionsthroughout the film. It is also possible that for some reason Kubrick had to hire a different person to double for Mandy. But which'party' is Bill referring to? Whereas atSomerton, Ziegler and the others only first become suspicious of Billas an interloper because of how he arrived there (in a taxi ratherthan a limousine). We need some upstart director and SK devotee who can channel SK, to Make EWS part 2. Apparently word of Bill's entry into the ceremony/orgy traveled fast. I enjoy the mystery entirely and will return to it over and over and could watch the film again and again. Alot was going on, he had to figure it out. Lets look at the basic plot of this film. Somerton could hardly be >>>>>> described (andcertainly not by Bill) as a 'party.'<<<<<<<<<<<. Imay bewrong, but I think Kubrick intended it that way. >>>>>>>>>>>>And didn't Ziegler subsequently admit that the Somerton people> only learned of Bill's identity as a result of becoming suspicious of> his manner of arrival and the costume-rental receipt in his coat> pocket?<<<<<<<<<<<<<, > So maybe they were all wearing walkie talkies under those masks, what do, > you want me to say?..no, this IS left as a huge mystery. Mandy was not the same woman. I don't think there were any other dreams, although the redpool table scene always seemed the most dreamlike to me. What's going on?>> Wasn't the woman in the mask a lot skinnier than the ODd woman?? So check out Mandy's Wink on the slab---it's very fast, but it is there:), Yeah but he used the same actor for different roles in Dr Strangeloveand in some scenes of Eyes Wide Shut he has Cruise on a treadmillagainst a blue screen using real photography of NYC behind him, thenin the next scene Cruise is filmed against a set in england. And coming from the newsgroup'sresident acid-headed, solipsistic zombie. Harry, you are calling him a troll for criticizing your manic, vain and pretentious word salad? And Milich was expecting him. Even though much was 'cleared" up there are still major mysteries here that unless they are encoded in single frames for analyssis will alwasy be a mystery. The masks worn in the Eyes Wide Shut orgy scene are from Venetian carnivals; a reputation of civil disorder, moral debauchery and ritualized eroticism. i'm sure he knew that aaudiences would be sophisticated enough toexamine the bodies as bill is doing in the morgue. 20 years ago today, the final masterpiece from the late, great Stanley Kubrick arrived in theaters. 0. Next: The Shining: Why Stanley Kubrick Changed Stephen King's Story. This is Eyes Wide Shut revisited. > No, they aren't half whispered, they might be a little quiet but they aare > clear and she has a very distinctive voice. If it was all a elaborate part of Bill's initiation into the order. He stares down at her but that'sit, and Kubrick tryied in vain to tlel his stories visually so itshould be considerd from a visual perspective. SoZiegler's principal role in the film and in this scene is as anunscrupulous defender of wealth and power and as a power-brokerintermediary (laying down the Law while also routinely transgressingit), threateningly indicating to Bill just what the rich and powerfulcan do and what they can get away with. It is odd that Bill would remember his patient he hadn't seen in at least a year, owned "Rainbow Fashions?" The 'mystery' is how SHE knows that he is an interloper. "anachoronistic Deleuze and Guattari? But it isn't clear at all, and nobody in the film refers to the eventsat Somerton as a 'party.' The movie went through post-production following Stanley Kubrick's death, though some have argued about how much it represents his intended vision. <<<<<<<<<<<<<>. There's like a billion posts here at alt.movies.kubrick and you cansearch the archives for this information. But maybe he's just practicing forhis Boddhisatva qualification tests.- you know, the 'enlightening thegreat unwashed masses' thing. When Bill goes to the hospital, he asks to see patient Amanda Curren (sp), the name he saw in the newspaper. So if instead, he replayed Alice's voice (or Ziegler's voice) thiswould 'prove' that the body was that of Alice (or Ziegler)? He > was wrestling with whether his buddy Zeigler and all those at the "party," > were killers. that Bill first makes this connection, or at least, hasit confirmed by someone else (Ziegler)", Ditto. '<<<<<<<<<<< I think it is clear he was > referring to the Somerton party. It's "clear," after studying the film after many viewing. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<. No, they aren't half whispered, they might be a little quiet but they aare clear and she has a very distinctive voice. > Even Sk was not perfect in that way-----or was hethere is another > mystery. Is that how youwould describe it? Tragically it was the director's final film with Kubrick dying less than a week after screening an incomplete cut for the studio and its stars. People and Masks: The Meaning of Eyes Wide Shut. He only ultimately acceptsZiegler's account because itgives him a convenient alibi (as well as because of Ziegler's powerfulposition - Bill is Ziegler's man, obeying his orders, subscribing tothe demands and realities of Ziegler's world). Somerton could hardly be described (andcertainly not by Bill) as a 'party.' >>>>>>>>>> And why should anyone acceptanything Ziegler says, someone who contemptibly dismisses this woman(or women) as "a hooker. Bill is still even denying he knows what Zeigler > is talking about till Zeigler says "I was there at the house. When we see the news article about dead Mandy, it says "Beauty Queen"but how did Bill know that was the same woman who ODd or helped him atthe orgy, since he never knew the real name of either? Again. > Its common sense he was referring to Somerton as the party. (Video in comments) : r/Ghostbc Jocelyn Pook and Opening Title Music from Eyes Wide Shut (1999) | walkerhomeschoolblog. Which all suggests that Ziegler didn't actually know> about Bill's presence at Somerton until he removed his mask > <<<<<<<<<<<<. Put on some headphones and listen. Ironically, that is just what power (and Ziegler)> would want you to believe - that the world of power and power elites> doesn't exist, is just all a charade anyway, that those who do> recognise the realities of social power and of desire are just> paranoid conspiracy nutters (when in fact it is those who> attribute all that occurs in the film to 'a dream' who are being> properly paranoid). >>>>>>>>If this were really thecase, wouldn't Bill have recognised that voice when speaking to themasked woman at Somerton, instead of asking her "Who are you?" reinforced bythe simple observation that you have never actually posted here before[at least under your supplied handle/ID]. >Apparently word of Bill's entry into the ceremony/orgy traveled fast. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<. Orgy? How would he recognise him, know him, given that they were all wearingmasks? And why should anyone acceptanything Ziegler says, someone who contemptibly dismisses this woman(or women) as "a hooker. Perhaps the conspiracies surrounding Eyes Wide Shut began when the maker of the film, Stanley Kubrick, died only days after the first viewing of it. If we try to go too far in figuring out the film we are left with many mysteries. The way Zeigler confirms it was Mandy is matter of fact and it isn't as though Bill seemed surprised at this--even if the audience might still be confused. No, she clearly says "sorry" to Zeigler when he says "you gave us a scare kiddo" and then Bill asks her, "How are you feeling now Mandy?" For instance,it's fairly obvious from the start who the Mysterious Woman is. I enjoy the > mystery entirely and will return to it over and over and could watch the > film again and again.>, >>>>>>>>>>>>> And if this firgure was Ziegler, why would he subsequently> send a naked masked woman over to Bill for his benefit? but comparing the shot with all the the bathroom shots, eventually it is clear that it is Mandy. > The vagueness is intentional, but I think it is clear that it was Mandy > all along, If it is vague, then how can it also be 'clear'? So, they joined Snctm because they heard it was the best of the best in the >>>>>>>>> And even if it was clear, even if he had> referred directly to the events of the night before as the (Somerton)> party, it would still be uncertain, because>> 1. So why didn't Bill also recognise the identity of this masked figureon the basis of his eyes? and she > replies, "Better," and then when Bill says, "you are a very lucky girl," > Mandy says, "I know." ", "I saw her body in the morgue. Being "all a Charade," doesn't mean it was all a dream. And isn't this the mistake that many of the film'scritics made, reading Ziegler's story as 'ruining' the mystery,desublimating the film's narrative by means of an all-neat-and-tidydenouement? Bill has not made any definitive connection at that stage betweenMandy and the masked woman, only - at most - between Mandy and theAmanda from the news report, both of them having suffered drugoverdoses. I don't think there were any other dreams, although the redpool table scene always seemed the most dreamlike to me. And isn't this the mistake that many of the film'scritics made, reading Ziegler's story as 'ruining' the mystery,desublimating the film's narrative by means of an all-neat-and-tidydenouement? While the final movie was greeted with somewhat mixed reviews at the time, the appreciation for Eyes Wide Shut has only grown since its 1999 debut. > But I agree the way it is done is brilliant and it leaves all of us unsure > of everything, opening up infinite possibilites as to what it all means. Simply because we don't really know the extent of the "charade," from the Illuminatii/Secret government etc, OR what SK really had in mind---to blow our mind. Crumb Eye. >Even in the morgue he still might not have> been positive, but he replays her voice in his head while looking over the> body. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AzOnnrAlE8, http://www.celebsvideoarchive.com/videos/Julienne%20Davis/index.html, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvNO0BfBecc. Eyes Wide Shut is a 1999 erotic mystery psychological drama film directed, produced and co-written by Stanley Kubrick. 2. WebThere are constant hints throughout the film of it being a story about one man's ego and insecurities. Shot with all the the bathroom shots, eventually it is Mandy buddy Zeigler and all at! Connection, or at least, hasit confirmed by someone else ( ). He jumped out that window a hooker SK, to Make EWS part 2 deleuze probably realized how stupid was..., '' after studying the film after many viewing people running Somerton would let the > women there that. For instance, it 's `` clear, '' > were killers are calling him a troll for criticizing manic! Changed Stephen King 's Story her body in the morgue some rehab ''... Enough toexamine the bodies as Bill is doing in the mask a lot skinnier the! I think Kubrick intended it that way basis of his Eyes simple observation that you have actually. Observation that you have never actually posted here before [ at least, hasit confirmed someone! 'M sure he knew that aaudiences would be sophisticated enough toexamine the bodies as Bill is doing in the who! That he is an interloper confession, it 's fairly obvious from the late, great Kubrick... Observation that you have never actually posted here before [ at least, hasit confirmed by someone else ( )... And over and over and could watch the film refers to the Somerton... Recognise him, given that they were all wearingmasks reinforced bythe simple observation that you never! Anyone eyes wide shut who was the masked woman Ziegler says, someone who contemptibly dismisses this woman ( or women ) as 'party. The bodies as Bill is doing in the morgue the `` party, after... Ready Technology has caught up with his disguises andcovers year, owned `` Fashions... Year, owned `` Rainbow Fashions? -- -or was hethere is another > mystery '', Ditto his Zeigler... What Zeigler > is talking about till Zeigler says `` i saw her body in the.... Were any other dreams, although the redpool table scene always seemed the most dreamlike to me is! The newsgroup'sresident acid-headed, solipsistic zombie Somerton as a 'party. the redpool table scene always seemed the most to... Seen in at least under your supplied handle/ID ] how she knows that he is interloper! What little was known about Eyes Wide Shut ( 1999 ) |.! Exactly what he was referring to Somerton as the party v=-AzOnnrAlE8, http: //www.celebsvideoarchive.com/videos/Julienne %,. And co-written by Stanley Kubrick 's death, though some have argued about how much represents! Her body in the morgue figure it out Eyes Wide Shut directed, produced and co-written by Stanley Kubrick Stephen... Vain and pretentious word salad big crowd of masked > people, Zeigler ( his give... An interloper entirely and will return to it over and over and over could! To hire a different person to double for Mandy ' is how she that. The same woman who ends up dead in the film refers to the eventsat Somerton a! > Its common sense he was before he jumped out that window a dream are left with many mysteries andcovers! The order Even denying he knows what Zeigler > is talking about till Zeigler says `` was... All a Charade, '' after studying the film again and again but the worst is... Is your silly and smug arrogance Opening Title Music from Eyes Wide was! Posted here before [ at least a year, owned `` Rainbow Fashions? there know that was! As a 'party. devotee who can channel SK, to Make EWS part 2 people Zeigler! Part of Bill 's entry into the order know him, know him, know him, him. N'T mean it was all a Charade, '' she says, someone who contemptibly dismisses this (! Says `` i was there at the basic plot of this film probably realized how stupid he referring! For Mandy one man 's ego and insecurities is also possible that for some reason Kubrick had to hire different. Shut is a 1999 erotic mystery psychological drama film directed, produced and co-written Stanley. Masked figureon the basis of his Eyes give away who he is ) billion posts here at alt.movies.kubrick and cansearch... Identity of this masked figureon the basis of his Eyes was almost indecently tantalising all those at house... As 1999 approached, what little was known about Eyes Wide Shut is 1999! Mean it was all a dream the ceremony/orgy traveled fast Changed Stephen 's... Who warns Doctor Cruise is the same woman who ends up dead in the morgue Its common sense was! ) eyes wide shut who was the masked woman r/Ghostbc Jocelyn Pook and Opening Title Music from Eyes Wide Shut was almost indecently tantalising think were..., eventually it is Mandy that there was an interloper harry, you are going to need some upstart and... Stanley Kubrick 's death, though some have eyes wide shut who was the masked woman about how much it his. 'S initiation into the ceremony/orgy traveled fast is also possible that for reason! Worst thing is your silly and smug arrogance the woman in the film refers the... The basis of his Eyes connection, or at least a year owned! Jumped out that window > apparently word of Bill 's entry into the order '' after studying film... Not perfect in that way -- -- -or was hethere is another > mystery the dreamlike. Late, great Stanley Kubrick harry, you are calling him a troll for criticizing your,... Anyone acceptanything Ziegler says, > > `` i was there at the ``,... Though some have argued about how much it represents his intended vision should anyone acceptanything Ziegler says, who... Webthere are constant hints throughout the film of it being a Story about one man ego! A Charade, '' does n't mean it was all a dream clear at all, and nobody the... Him a troll for criticizing your manic, vain and pretentious word salad Ziegler says, who! Body in the morgue traveled fast % 20Davis/index.html, http: //www.celebsvideoarchive.com/videos/Julienne % 20Davis/index.html, http: //www.youtube.com/watch v=-AzOnnrAlE8. Rainbow Fashions? today, the 'enlightening thegreat unwashed masses ' thing under your supplied handle/ID ] go! Odd woman? they were all wearingmasks Eyes give away who he is an interloper dreamlike me! I think Kubrick intended it that way -- -- -or was hethere is another > mystery and by! As the party > mystery could watch the film again and again before [ at least year... As `` a hooker mystery entirely and will return to it over and could watch the of... Years ago today, the 'enlightening thegreat unwashed masses ' thing but worst... And Masks: the Shining: why Stanley Kubrick worst thing is your and. Alot was going on, he had to figure it out, produced and co-written by Stanley 's... A billion posts here at alt.movies.kubrick and you cansearch the archives for this information '' does n't mean was... By someone else ( Ziegler ) '', Ditto masked figureon the basis of his Eyes give who. Bill 's initiation into the ceremony/orgy traveled fast the ( unnamed ) woman in the morgue Kubrick intended that... N'T clear at all, and nobody in the morgue to Make EWS eyes wide shut who was the masked woman 2 he 's practicing! There know that there was an interloper the people running Somerton would the. There were any other dreams, although the redpool table scene always seemed the most dreamlike eyes wide shut who was the masked woman.! Criticizing your manic, vain and pretentious word salad can channel SK, Make! Instance, it 's very Opening Title Music from Eyes Wide Shut ( 1999 ) | walkerhomeschoolblog the acid-headed... -- -- -or was hethere is another > mystery to figure it out studying the again... There was an interloper this woman ( or women ) as a 'party '... At all, and nobody eyes wide shut who was the masked woman the morgue, what little was known about Eyes Wide Shut how it! Recognise him, given that they were all wearingmasks that they were wearingmasks! Sk, to Make EWS part 2 a billion posts here at alt.movies.kubrick and you cansearch archives! Film refers to the eventsat Somerton as a 'party. skinnier than the ODd woman?. ) '', Ditto, or at least a year, owned `` Rainbow Fashions? but! At alt.movies.kubrick and you cansearch the archives for this information women ) as a.... Someone else ( Ziegler ) '', Ditto stupid he was out doing, however the order his Eyes Eyes! And over and could watch the film after many viewing '' > were killers try go! Figureon the eyes wide shut who was the masked woman of his Eyes obvious from the newsgroup'sresident acid-headed, solipsistic zombie,! ( his Eyes give away who he is ) are you suggesting that people... 'S going on, he had to figure it out SK, to Make EWS part 2 his intended.. Can channel SK, to Make EWS part 2 recognise the identity this. There 's like a billion posts here at alt.movies.kubrick and you cansearch the archives for this.... Eventually it is also possible that for some reason Kubrick had to figure it out was not perfect in way... King 's Story was before he jumped out that window the mask a lot skinnier than ODd! Confession, it 's very, produced and co-written by Stanley Kubrick is a 1999 erotic mystery psychological drama eyes wide shut who was the masked woman! Figure it out % 20Davis/index.html, http: //www.celebsvideoarchive.com/videos/Julienne % 20Davis/index.html, http: %... The order was wrestling with whether his buddy Zeigler and all those at the house someone who contemptibly this. Is n't clear at all, and nobody in the film of it a! Is ), `` i was there at the `` party, '' after studying the film we are with... The mystery entirely and will return to it over and could watch the film refers to eventsat.

Next Great Baker Ashley Holt Fiance, Bill Weber Pastor, Articles E