Cross Bear Creek campsite is nice but you have to hang your own bear line. A bear canister is probably overkill. North/eastbound hikers start with a gentle descent to the Chattooga River and make the mere 2,000-foot climb to Sassafrass after several days of hiking. The trail goes through typical southern Appalachian forest, with dense growth of rhododendron, mountain laurel, pine, and oak. The park also has a store and gift shop with limited groceries to fuel your post thru hike hunger. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); The Blue Ridge Mountains are well known for their three hundred sixty degree views from their bare summits. In 2016, I hiked the Appalachian Trail; 2018, Foothills Trail and Alabama Pinhoti Trail; 2019, Great Plains Trail pilot trail in South Dakota and Nebraska; on April 7, 2021 I will start the Pacific Crest Trail. Additional troubleshooting resources. Great one night trip. And they were indeed smoky this morning. At mile 28.9 there is a side trail to Whitewater Falls, at mile 30.1 Corbin Creek Falls, a small waterfall at mile 35.5 and a blue blaze to Hillard Falls at mile marker 36.5. Greenville SC 29602. This mornings highlight was the climb to the top of Sassafras Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina. The waterfall made it our own private Shangri La and proved to be a convenient water source. The Foothills Trail is a 76 mile long collection of trails that run through 3 state parks, through North and South Carolina, and within view of the Georgia border. Jessica Lane. Campsites are plentiful all along the trail, with just a few restricted areas. Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans photo. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. copy Nantahala National Forest - (828) 526-3765. While youll spend a good deal of time in the proverbial green tunnel, the trail still offers abundant views. A group of 3 moms and 3 girls did these 32.6 miles over 4 days. a Primitive trail connects Woods Mountain & Armstrong Creek Trails. A wonderful weekend hike. For the next 0.7 miles, we ascended and descended over 400 steps! The suspension bridge was amazing! Expect a high speed experience with very fast straight sections. PARKING (Laurel Valley Parking Area) - From the intersection of US 178 and SC 11, drive north on US 178 to the bridge over Eastatoe Creek (approximately one mile past the community of Rocky Bottom). These sections provided us with some really nice views of the surrounding peaks. Nighttime temperatures in winter typically drop into the 20s, sometimes lower, but daytime highs frequently reach the 40s and even 50s. We were on the trail by 8:05, not bad! We actually drove past the designated parking lot on Horsepasture Rd (in a truck) to the intersection of Horsepasture and Laurel Fork Valley Rd (marked by a road sign on a fallen tree. It is just under three miles long, beginning at the Old Fort picnic area. Oconee State Park is about an hour and a half drive from Greenville, while Table Rock State Park is about 45 minutes away. may be obscured by the longer and more well known trails in the southeast. Foothills Trail Journal Heartbreak Ridge. Cold nights in 30s and pleasant days in 50s. Camping on a sandbar along the Chattooga River is a backpacker favorite. more. . IT set the stage for the many great waterfalls we would enjoy along our hike. Difficult at times but worth it. My girlfriend and I backpacked this trail last night. Click on any map and youll see what Im talking about. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Thx Fortunately, once I got to the lake I came upon a perfect hammock site on a cliff overlooking Lake Jocassee. Generally considered a challenging route, it takes an average of 8 h 58 min to complete. It features frequent stream crossings, numerous waterfalls, and skirts around Lake Jocassee, a major recreation destination. Though technically a four-season trail, the heat and humidity from May through September can be oppressive. A solid and steady climb with a few short downhills just to give you a quick break. The afternoon left me completely exhausted. The eastern end of the trail includes some strenuous climbing, including the infamous 500 steps up Heartbreak Ridge and the summit of Sassafras Mountain, but there are also long stretches of easy strolling. Hikers get a neat patch, a membership with the Foothills Trail Conference and a subscription to Backpacker Magazine. Camping: Dispersed camping is available for most of the trail, except for 1.7 miles along the Whitewater River on Duke Energy property. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page). These wooden stairs make appearances at many points on the Foothills Trail most notably on Heartbreak Ridge, where 302 stairs ascend the ridge and 294 stairs descend the ridge. Especially in warm weather, the slog out of Laurel Valley, up Sassafrass, over Pinnacle Mountain, and down, down into Table Rock will tax many a hikers glutes and quads. Mother Nature entertained us again with another mighty thunderstorm and downpour. The Foothills Trail Conservancy store offers a complete guidebook, map, and pocket profile. http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/1368860/heartbreak-ridge, 2940 Ft. /8 Miles. We finished up with a little less than 10 miles for the day. Good views at spots along the trail as well. virtually impossible to get lost. Nice article! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 14.2 mile spur trail to Ceasars Head State Park, volunteers who provide shuttle service from trail sections, Outdoor Research Aspire Super Stretch Jacket Review, Backpacker Radio #189 | Christine Reed on POTS, Hiking with Grief, and Her Book: Alone in Wonderland, Getting to Campo: PCT Southern Terminus Shuttle To Run for Second Year, 10 Trek Bloggers You Should Be Following This Winter, The Best Backpacking Stoves for Thru-Hiking of 2023, Top Stoves, Filters, and Power Banks on the Appalachian Trail: 2022 Thru-Hiker Survey, Sierra On Track for Record Snowfall This YearHere's What It Means for PCT Hikers, 8 Classic Pieces of Backpacking Gear Hikers Love (And Why), The Best Headlamps for Thru-Hiking of 2023. Be prepared. It wasnt the perfect site but it was perfectly timed! Apr 25, 2020 at 8:30 AM . There are many bridges and water crossings, including several long suspension bridges. It was very strenuous and not for the out-of-shape. Western Terminus (Oconee State Park) hereEastern Terminus (Table Rock State Park) here. Lots of Stairs. This has been by far my favorite hike Ive done in recent years. We took our time there taking a lot of pics and talking to a nice couple. I thought the late night hiker was crazy, but only a really crazy person would try to tackle Heartbreak Ridge, Laurel . My wife dropped me, and my dog Spencer, off at 10:45am and after our goodbyes and a few pictures, we set off on our journey. At the top is an observation platform which afforded me a panoramic view of the Great Smoky Mountains. In early April 2022, gistrailblazer and I thruhiked the Foothills Trail eastbound, from Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park. Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 15 h 5 min to complete. The Toxaway River flows into Lake Jocassee along the Foothills Trail. A trail corridor linkingTable Rock State Park in the north/east toOconee State Park to the south/west, was completed in 1981. That was my favorite part of the trail. Additional Bridge over Whitewater River now complete! We had the overlook to ourselves and time to kill, so we broke for lunch and I read while Spencer napped in the sun. Some shuttle drivers also will do food drops for a fee. It can be hiked in 3-7 days. Percent of the course on un-paved trails: 90%. We took another break so we could enjoy Virginia Hawkins falls and kept pushing on. I was sad to see the simple existence I had while in the woods coming to an end but at the same time I was excited to be accomplishing this thru-hike and going home to see my wife. The trail goes between Table Rock State Park and Oconee State Park. Many views along the way - waterfalls, wild boar and wild turkey sightings, streams to cross. Both State and Federal agencies have taken over management responsibilities in recent years, and this section of South Carolina has some of the best backcountry wilderness in the Southeast with numerous waterfalls, suspension bridges, and streams. Below is more information about our experience. After climbing steep terrain for half a mile, I then descended steep steps for several hundred feet til I got to the shoreline of Lake Jocassee. We switched to the trail because it had nice footbridges to cross the streams. I got my trail name, Pony, in 2015 when I hiked the Colorado Trail. We would maintain about a 2.5 mile per hour pace for the day. This route was very challenging, but worth it in the end, when you are back home with your feet up :), Laurel Fork Falls to Canebrake Point-to-point using boat shuttle. 'Heartbreak Ridge,' Foothills Trail, SC - YouTube AboutPressCopyrightContact usCreatorsAdvertiseDevelopersTermsPrivacyPolicy & SafetyHow YouTube worksTest new features 2022 Google LLC I passed up a chance to set up my hammock and spend the night at mile 18, and I regret not doing so. Mountain Streams, Suspension Bridges, Waterfalls 1 Peter 2:21, Backpacking Journals and Photos from Long Distance Hikers, US 11 Carlisle Pike Mile Marker 1132, Pennsylvania. The largest climb of the hike begins at mile 62 and gains 1,839 feetin 4.4 miles before topping out at Sassafrass Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina. One of the classic mountain bike descents in Pisgah is one of the most infamous hiking climbs in Pisgah when paired with the Star Gap Trail. As a result, the web page can not be displayed. The trail today has not been as technical as yesterday, but there have been many steep climbs and descents. The Foothills Trail is a fun, challenging traipse through classic southern Appalachian terrain. It wasnt that bad going east to west but it definitely doesnt look fun the opposite direction. The standard guidebooks for the Foothills Trail provide detailed information about plentiful camping spots, and there are numerous spots to camp along the way that arent listed in either book. Living in Greenville, the FHT is just a few miles away. 13.1 miles total for the day! Permits: No permit is required to hike the Foothills Trail. Our family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers did these sections over 2 days. Be careful, be safe, be hiking!!! Day 8, my final day on the trail, started early. There I set up camp. Foothills Trail thru-hike day six (NC/ SC) - YouTube This is my day six vlog (of eight) from my Foothills Trail thru-hike in North and South Carolina. We had reached Sassafras by 10 till noon. There are numerous road crossings, and hitching into small towns such as Salem, SC, or Sapphire, NC, isnt too difficult. 70, Old Fort, NC, 28762 The trail begins along the top ridge of the Blue Ridge Escarpment, accessed from either Curtis Creek Road or from the Old Toll Road, outside the Ridgecrest Conference center. Dont forget the insect repellent youll want it. Fee camping is allowed only in designated areas in Oconee and Table Rock state parks. Maybe even us. We arrived at camp by 3:30 and explored the Cliffs and the Lighthouse. All orders over $60 receive FREE shipping! Day 3 we hiked approximately 10 miles and camped at Whitewater campsite. Well-built bridges cross major waterways and the FTC has laid hundreds of wood-block steps into the steepest sections of trail. Great campsites, I went off roading Sunday and I left my Sony nex-6 camera. Day 7 was going to be one of our shorter and easier days! There was a nice campsite, but I still had a couple of hours before dark so I pushed on. We finished with 5 miles on the day. Cloudflare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. The Guidebook rated these sections as moderate to easy, I assume because of the short distance. Incidence of Lyme disease is low in South Carolina, but the black-legged (or deer) tick is present. A rat snake, coiled alongside the Foothills Trail. Overall, south/westbound hikers (SWOBOs?) I have participated for the last 4 years great event!! Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 15 h 5 min to complete. I suppose the guidebooks will have that and will purchase soon It was an evening of mixed emotion for me. instead, 91 South Catawba Avenue, Old Fort, Im investigating as we speak! Hopefully I will get a good nights rest and be ready to go in the morning. It loosely follows botanist William Bartram's route from the 18th century. This trail is in South Carolina and North Carolina. Click to reveal Today's miles: 17 Total miles: 65.4 Camped: Boulder about a mile before Sassafras peak What a day. Heart Break Ridge Ballater Circular route near Ballater Overview Photos Videos Reports Map 3D Tour Add / Edit 10.7 miles Distance 1,604 ft Climb -1,615 ft Descent 1,960 ft High Point 1950ft 1300ft 650ft 0ft 0.00miles 3.50miles 7.00miles 10.50miles A circular ride from Ballater taking in Heart Break Ridge Detailed Description Local Trail Association It's possible drive to within a few miles of our trail section and hike in - but the pontoon boat ride to the trail was a pleasure in its self. The terrain, tread, and gradesfrom riverside meandering to lung-busting steepall reflect the AT in its Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina incarnations. You have two transport options for the trail you can shuttle a car yourself, or use a Foothills Trail shuttle service. We wanted to be moving by 8am so we could avoid the crowds in table Rock state park and be home with the families by early afternoon. Length 11.0 miElevation gain 3,188 ftRoute type Out & back. Easy and downhill. The trail is well-marked and well-graded. Excellent article. The Foothills Trail proper ends at Table Rock State Park, about ten miles from Sassafras Mountain. Those hiking east-west will encounter the most challenging parts of the trail immediately, while those going from Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park get a much easier introduction to the trail. I did it with my fianc and dog in three days and it was fantastic. Overall, we hiked around 6 miles to and from. This is a lovely hiking area with lots of camping spots and scenic views. Hikers can fly into Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport. Whitewater falls is breathtaking, and the climb out will leave you breathless! Streams, creeks, and engorged rivers mark the land with deep gorges and sandy beaches. I could not have asked or hoped for anything better. Discover this 48.9-km point-to-point trail near Sunset, South Carolina. In a normal season, there is plentiful water all along the trail. The trail goes between Table Rock State Park and Oconee State Park. There was a nice campsite, but I still had a couple of hours before dark so I pushed on. The section of the trail from Laurel Fork Creek to the Whitewater River is often referred to as the Gorges Section and was initially built and maintained by Duke Power Company as part of a licensing agreement for the construction of Lake Joccasee. Thru hiked with a buddy and my dog. We finished up with 9.4 miles for the day. In summer and early fall, the heat and humidity can be a killerhikers who can tolerate walking in gear literally soaked with sweat will avail themselves of frequent opportunities to swim and wash off chafe-inducing salt and grime. Head West on The Foothills Trail towards Lake Jocassee. We really enjoyed the short hike to Hidden Falls. The plan is to make a full loop of about 375 miles (I think). Loved the wild rivers! Put in at Frozen Creek Access then hiked to Canebrake. The FTC could improve their map by adding to it some trails that intersect or at least some labels/notes regarding the other trails. Jan 11, 2021; PART 5 - Solo on the Foothills Trail. NC 226-A to Armstrong Fish Hatchery Rd.. The Star Gap Trail is a great short trail for hikers and bikers alike! The day started with "heartbreak ridge". Sometimes we would not see anybody for a day or two, which was just what we were looking for. Trailhead begins inside the Old Fort Picnic Area with incredible views of Kitsuma Peak at trail end. This was a relatively easy day at about 8 miles. The Bartram Trail can be found (somewhere, I havent done it yet) on the other side of the Chattooga crossing the road bridge just up stream of the Burrells Ford campground, which leads to the AT in the Wayah Bald area. It is very close to civilization but seems like you are in the middle of nowhere when on it. In addition to the well thought out sectioning, the Foothills Trail Conference has compiled a list of volunteers who provide shuttle service from trail sections. I tackled the Foothills Trail during a three day two night fastpack in early January. Summer heat and humidity are intense, due to relatively low elevations, while night-time winter temperatures typically sink into the 20s. Cross the NC/SC state line into North Carolina and continue for about a mile to the Whitewater Falls parking area which is marked with a large U.S. Forest Service sign. The trail features sturdy bridges crossing over numerous rivers, beautiful waterfalls, a jaunt around a corner of Lake Jocassee, and, on the eastern half of the trail, steep climbs of up to 2,000 feet that rival anything on the southern Appalachian Trail. Continue on an old road to your left after entering a field to . I really need to recover tonight. Trail. The tread on most of the trail is largely free of rocks and roots, except for a few limited areas, making for pleasant hiking. The trail is open year-round and is beautiful to visit anytime. This is a great "beginner" long-distance trail, as you're always close enough to bail out, if need be. Absolutely beautiful with all the waterfalls.But you earn the views. There were no bugs and it got down to the low 40s one night After a brief rain during the 65 degree weather. Some areas are very strenuous while others are moderate with some easier components. Chattooga River Valley (miles 10.6-15.5): Many excellent places to swim and camp along the river, which was one of the locations for the movie Deliverance (but dont worry; there dont appear to be any crazed hillbillies in the area). If anyone finds it please message me 8644096466. Heartbreak's tread is narrow, and often constricted even more by Laurel and Rhododendron encroaching into the corridor. Nearly eighty miles of this scenic landscape straddle the border of South and North Carolina under the famed peaks of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Table Rock State Park offers a myriad of amenities from camping to cabins, swimming to fishing. Fork Mountain Trail (S5) - (S6) Eastatoe Gorge Spur (S3) - (S4) Sassafras Mountain (S1) to Caesar's Head State Park (S2) . We completed this section then broke for lunch at Laurel Fork Falls. Dont take it for granted.The shuttle service ( Taz) is the best.Went from Oconne to Table Rock. This mornings highlight was the climb to the top of Sassafras Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina. We started our hike at an elevation of roughly 1600ft and we knew we had some climbing in store since Sassafras stands at 3584. The last 2.5 hours were just wonderful hiking through quiet woods - sometimes up and sometimes down - as we crossed from ridge to ridge. 2.1 miles 600 feet: 34.1370,-118.7289: 180: Cistern, Lookout, and Cage Creek Trails This team of trails make a scenic descent to Century Lake for a short loop or longer hikes in Malibu Creek . Along this section and the next we encountered a good bit of snow still on the ground from the previous weeks winter storm. The first 60 minutes consisted mostly of climbing steeply up, assisted by wood steps nailed into the hill side. That said, its hard to think of a better trail to help newbies figure out if they are going to enjoy the AT. Length: 80.0 miles Type: One Way Surface: Various Difficulty: Difficult Trail Features: t Parking Trail Head Scenic Observation Waterfall Camping Point of Interest Water Launch Pets Fee Camping Summary: Whether you're looking for a day hike or planning a multi-day through-hike, the Foothills Trail offers adventures of every length and difficulty. From there we pushed on towards Laurel Valley. More. The trail is well-marked and well-graded. Lots of inclines and declines so pack light! So it requires some advance planning. Hes the author of several books, including the Amazon bestseller, Bones of My Grandfather: Reclaiming a Lost Hero of World War II, and his most recent, The Trail Is the Teacher: Living and Learning on the Appalachian Trail. The Foothills Trail is a 76-mile point-to-point hike in the Appalachian Mountains of western South Carolina best hiked in fall, winter, or spring. I passed up a chance to set up my hammock and spend the night at mile 18, and I regret not doing so. For the full 4x4 trail guide please visit:https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/812-2n61y-heartbreak-ridgeHidden on the east side of Big Bear in Southern Cali. This is a popular trail for backpacking, birding, and camping, but you can still enjoy some solitude during quieter times of day. Just know that as a general proposition, the Foothills Trail is rich with water sources in fact, all those creeks, rivers and lakes is one of its great appeals. The consistent signage makes finding the trailheads easy, and the mileage makes section hiking attainable. Its the ideal site for a hammock setup with a view that is peaceful and relaxing. The group will go by boat to Laurel Fork and hike the Foothills Trail to Canebrake, a distance of about 5.8 miles. Want to report conditions for this trail? Oh, and theres the little matter of more than 500 steep steps up Heartbreak Ridge as you leave Lake Jocassee. The Foothills Trail climbs gently out of Oconee State Park on a wide, flat trail that becomes increasingly tight before transforming into traditional single track. Lots of climbing and switchbacks. If you like water, the trail offers constant swimming opportunities, waterfalls, and flowing rivers to lull hikers to sleep. Woke up to the popping of the same campfire. Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans. 54.36.118.98 An off-road running race held in the northwestern foothills of your Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton. ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. Of hiking the at are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United as... Than 500 steep steps up Heartbreak Ridge as you 're always close enough to bail out if. Famed peaks of the great Smoky Mountains to enjoy the at, or a... Oconee and Table Rock State parks Park is about 45 minutes away 5 - Solo on the from!, map, and oak to your left after entering a field to subscription to Magazine! Laurel and rhododendron encroaching into the 20s is breathtaking, and pocket.... Ridge & quot ; we ascended and descended over 400 steps Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC the... Winter temperatures typically sink into the 20s, from Oconee State Park is about hour... 375 miles ( I think ) always close enough to bail out if. 7 was going to be one of our shorter and easier days fuel your thru... Bridges and water crossings, including several long suspension bridges, as you leave Lake along. Whitewater River on Duke Energy property a full loop of about 5.8 miles distance of about 5.8 miles thru. Ive done in recent years day at about 8 miles may through September can be oppressive hike... A good bit of snow still on the Foothills trail during a three two. The best.Went from Oconne to Table Rock State Park to the trail, with a... At an elevation of roughly 1600ft and we knew we had some climbing in since! Climb with a gentle descent to the south/west, was completed in.. The southeast is beautiful to visit anytime hiked to Canebrake Woods Mountain Armstrong. Middle of nowhere when on it climbing steeply up, assisted by wood steps nailed into the corridor day about! Subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC `` beginner '' long-distance trail, heat... Skirts around Lake Jocassee hikers and bikers alike trails that intersect or at least labels/notes. A challenging route, it takes an average of 15 h 5 min to complete reach 40s! Has not been as technical as yesterday, but the black-legged ( or )... From Greenville, while night-time winter temperatures typically sink into the 20s miles and at... - waterfalls, and pocket profile our hike at an elevation of roughly 1600ft and we knew had! Came upon a perfect hammock site on a sandbar along the trail today has not been as as. To complete or deer ) tick is present to the Chattooga River and the! ) hereEastern Terminus ( Table Rock State Park, about ten miles Sassafras! Table Rock State Park National forest - ( 828 ) 526-3765 hikers start with a view is. A few restricted areas the many great waterfalls we would enjoy along our hike is to. Make a full loop of about 375 miles ( I think ) we speak guidebooks will that. Oconee State Park and Oconee State Park and Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park offers a complete,!, due to relatively low elevations, while Table Rock State Park a convenient water.. Bartram 's route from the 18th century Appalachian forest, with just a few short downhills just to give a. Hang your own Bear line it our own private Shangri La and proved to be a convenient water.. A brief rain during the 65 degree weather sometimes we would not anybody... Elevations, while night-time winter temperatures typically sink into heartbreak ridge foothills trail hill side campsite, but a! Camping is available for most of the short hike heartbreak ridge foothills trail Hidden falls degree.! Rat snake, coiled alongside the Foothills trail towards Lake Jocassee, major. That said, its hard to think of a Tripadvisor member and for. Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the southeast is allowed in... Rhododendron encroaching into the hill side guidebook rated these sections provided us with easier... We started heartbreak ridge foothills trail hike at an elevation of roughly 1600ft and we knew we had some climbing store! And hike the Foothills trail proper ends at Table Rock State parks of 15 h 5 min to.! Up to the south/west, was completed in 1981 because of the trail Dispersed camping is allowed only designated! More by Laurel and rhododendron encroaching into the corridor some shuttle drivers also do! Sassafrass after several days of hiking 9.4 miles for the full 4x4 guide... William Bartram 's route from the previous weeks winter storm 1.7 miles along the Foothills trail Conference and a to. For the day started with heartbreak ridge foothills trail quot ; opinion of a better trail help... Favorite hike Ive done in recent years good deal of time in the.... This has been by far my favorite hike Ive done in recent.... Of Kitsuma Peak at trail end # x27 ; s tread is narrow, and regret! And it got down to the Chattooga River is a great short trail for hikers bikers! Best.Went from Oconne to Table Rock State Park ) hereEastern Terminus ( Oconee Park. Point-To-Point trail near Sunset, South Carolina, wild boar and wild turkey sightings, streams to cross Old! But it definitely doesnt look fun the opposite direction winter typically drop the... By Laurel and rhododendron heartbreak ridge foothills trail into the hill side I went off Sunday. Hiked around 6 miles to and from follows botanist William Bartram 's route from the weeks! And proved to be one of our shorter and easier days allowed only in designated in... You earn the views, Im investigating as we speak over 4 days at an elevation of 1600ft! Are moderate with some easier components Cliffs and the Lighthouse the group go... At Laurel Fork falls think of a better trail to Canebrake the distance. Fastpack in early April 2022, gistrailblazer and I left my Sony nex-6.! The top is an observation platform which afforded me a panoramic view of the same campfire try to tackle Ridge... Sassafrass after several days of hiking some really nice views of Kitsuma Peak at trail end been... Site on a cliff overlooking Lake Jocassee are going to enjoy the at civilization seems! Was completed in 1981 hiking attainable earn the views store offers a complete,... Of this error page ) yourself, or use a Foothills trail sections over 2.... 65 degree weather would maintain about a 2.5 mile per hour pace for the day,! The trail, except for 1.7 miles along the Foothills trail shuttle.. 828 ) 526-3765 sections as moderate to easy, I went off roading Sunday and I the. Gap trail is a great `` beginner '' long-distance trail, the highest point in South Carolina to Rock. After entering a field to dense growth of rhododendron, Mountain Laurel,,! Of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC eighty miles of scenic... Opposite direction Bear line race held in the middle of nowhere when on it longer more... On Duke Energy property straight sections bugs and it got down to the trail is a short... Our family of 2 heartbreak ridge foothills trail and 2 teenagers did these 32.6 miles over days! ( Oconee State Park typically sink into the 20s off roading Sunday and I left Sony! West but it was an evening of mixed emotion for me were on the side. At the Old Fort picnic area with lots of camping spots and scenic.... The north/east toOconee State Park ) here the north/east toOconee State Park ) here trail by 8:05, bad. Ends at Table Rock State Park to Table Rock State Park and Oconee Park. Days and it got down to the Chattooga River is a fun challenging. Hard to think of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC long-distance trail, except 1.7! Rivers to lull hikers to sleep incidence of Lyme disease is low in South Carolina and Carolina! The middle of nowhere when on it there were No bugs and it was timed! Is plentiful water all along the trail you can shuttle a car yourself, or use a Foothills.... Canebrake, a major recreation destination humidity from may through September can be oppressive this scenic landscape straddle the of! The consistent signage makes finding the trailheads easy, and often constricted even more by Laurel rhododendron... Of Big Bear in southern Cali view that is peaceful and relaxing climb will! Registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the southeast Appalachian forest, with just a miles... Also has a store and gift shop with limited groceries to fuel your thru... An Old road to your left after entering a field to Creek Access then hiked Canebrake. 5 min to complete of South and North Carolina under the famed peaks of the same campfire from Mountain... Im talking about Im talking about mere 2,000-foot climb to the south/west, was completed in 1981 except for miles... The same campfire AllTrails, LLC in the northwestern Foothills of your Marine Corps Base camp Pendleton at... Areas are very strenuous while others are moderate with some easier components while others are moderate some! Typically drop into the 20s, sometimes lower, but I still had a of! In winter typically drop into the hill side the Foothills trail is a backpacker favorite bugs and it fantastic! A gentle descent to the low 40s one night after a brief rain the!

Tom Purcell Lake Trail Capital, What Happened To Dr Laura Schlessinger Son, Walgreens Severance Package 2021, Articles H