"MR. SONG MAN" and "I MISS YOU". He said of that work, Aw, I stay in the studio from six-thirty or seven oclock in the mornin to about eight or nine at night, five days a week.. Yet, with that heavy work load in addition to his busy tour schedule of personal appearances and the occasional appearances with the Elvis Lives stage show (designated a Guinness World Record as the first tour that was top-billed by a non-living performer. He wiped me out.". The two formed a strong relationship. J.D. And I want them to understand that I did, in fact, work with Elvis. Sumner sang in five quartets and was a member of the Blackwood Brothers during their 1950s heyday. Thats pretty much my time. about what he thought when I left but he was certainly proud of me. Favorite Musician: Anthony Burger the Gospel that they have instilled in me because of the adoption that The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. and I have grand kids and two grand dogs. Were supposed to go together. Years later, Presley would try out for The Songfellows Quartet, a group associated with The Blackwood Brothers, though did not receive an invitation to join. Without a doubt, Sumner shared a couple of stories of some of the people his life has touched. There was no between Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville there was not one single charter service nor commercial flight available for a trip to Memphis. Played Himself - Band Member in "Elvis: Aloha from Sumner and the Sunshine Boys were infamous for their worldly lifestyles. probably In it (and if I remember correctly), when describing Elvis love of southern gospel music, Humbard used the story of King Saul who had vacated the calling of God and lived with a very troubled heart. John Daniel Sumner (November 19, 1924 - November 16, 1998) was an American gospel singer, songwriter, and music promoter noted for his bass voice, and his innovation in the Christian and Gospel music fields. He has affected my adulthood, my personality, Favorites. However, what is not debatable is the fact that, a) Elvis did sing a lot of gospel music while with friends and, b) that, among those friends was a gentleman by the name of Donnie Sumner who was one of Elvis back-up singers. Jennifer: What would you consider as the I made Elvis said on several occasions that Sumner was his favourite gospel singer and when they were together, it was Elvis who was in awe of him. Sumner wrote more than 700 songs including the following: (Under the Name "J.D. Donnie's Appearance Schedule Be sure to call to make sure no times and dates have changed before you travel a long distance. Since then, weve traveled more than a million and a half As can easily be imagined, the targeted niche for Sumners book is the very wide, diverse and, sometimes, strange demographic of Elvis fans as well as those who love southern Gospel music. Southern Gospel Music will blow them all off the stage. I was curious who, from his perspective, Donnie saw as the typical purchaser of In the Shadow of Kings. mini-revival, but for the most part I just work Sundays. Hes been going to do this for years and he finally did it. It was from such occasions that Elvis eventually came to record two of Donnie's country songs. He was raised the son of a minister and is no newcomer to the world . always be your best friend. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. They used to do Country, Western, Pop, Spirituals, It was during this time period that Donnie was seen on the Elvis, worldwide satellite television spectacular, "ALOHA FROM HAWAII ". Retrieved May 16, 2020, from Donnie Sumner website: http://www.donniesumner.com/about_donnie.asp. Most of the acts were male quartets featuring four- part harmonies. way. From time to time Elvis would request that Donnie sing one of his "own" original love songs. He was often seen in his latter years appearing as a guest artist on the Bill Gaither Homecoming videos. Having retired from what he refers to as "Show Business", for the next three years Donnie endeavored to create a secular music firm in Nashville , Tennessee under the banner of SPIRIT AND ASSOCIATES. it be? You dont have to put on a football helmet and run at the gates of Heaven. You can now see some of his choice work each month here on Boomerocity.com! Sumner has Can you imagine sitting in the dark, warming yourself by a fire, tuning your ear to the night sounds when an angel appears before you and the glory of God fills the night? If I can get to Heaven and hear well done, Im happy. It was funny. Southern Classics. Donnie: I just completed an album called He is also a great lead gospel vocalist in his own right, and his love for Nielsen is immediately evident. I was a scoundrel. I pulled that little gentleman right up. a week in churches. That story and many, many others are shared in In the Shadow of Kings (see the Boomerocity review of it here). Facebook gives people the power to. I tell you what, Randy, it dont take any courage. Donnie Sumner with Stamps Quartet, J.D. Donnie's Mother mad the best Chicken ans Dumplings! preacher and growing up with that lifestyle and probably the greatest example And, given enough time, no matter where you start from, at some point, if Jesus is the lord of your life, at some point, people will look at you and brag on you about what a saint you are and theyll never notice how many times you fell down in the process of getting to the top of that mountain. I guess it would have to be a toss up between my daddy and J.D. In 1972 Donnie resigned from the Stamps Quartet and organized his own group, which was to become known as VOICE INC. With the new groups rising success came the opportunity for nearly a year to become resident members of Nashville 's famous "GRAND OLE OPRY". Gospel Music, we were doing Country and Western swing songs, love ballads, Jennifer: If you could send someone back Because he was tall (six foot five) and dignified, it was doubly funny to see him running around on stage, and he even released an album of his comedy routines. Spirit Ministries / Att. I relive where I came from to what I have become [citation needed] Presley lived in Memphis, Tennessee as a young boy and would attend the all night sings at The Ellis Auditorium. He was friendly with many gospel musicians and he worked for several years with J.D. developed his way of talking, not as deep as he does it, but for all practical It was Humbards contention that southern gospel music had the same effect on Elvis. Title. (During the years in which Sumner and the Stamps were backing Elvis, Sumners nephew, Donnie, who sang in the group, became a drug addict and was lured into the licentious pop music field.). Instead, you walk away from the King of Rock and Roll. Elvis would then get on the phone and say, I understand. with her mother, weve never spent a night apart since 1983. Aside from his incredibly low bass voice, Sumner's business acumen helped promote Southern Gospel and move it into the mainstream of American culture and music during the 1950s and 1960s. J.D. The book is called 'In The Shadow Of Kings". Already being aware of Donnie's musical abilities and stage personality, early in 1973 Donnie was asked by Elvis to again become a part of his entourage and personal "family". Celebrating the Life of Donnie Sumner - YouTube 0:00 / 12:14 Celebrating the Life of Donnie Sumner Ryan Sumner 60 subscribers Subscribe 107 Share 11K views 2 years ago This video. I got a great You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. When I called him up at his Hendersonville, Tennessee, recording studio, he was in the midst of mixing a new album for a southern gospel quartet. it, dont forget the Rock, the greatest foundation in the world, the foundation Donnie is the nephew of the late J. D. SUMNER, nationally acclaimed as the "world's lowest bass singer." I said, Uncle Jake, are you sure that Elvis is dead? He went through all these things. And if I cant do that no more, Ill be in Heaven.. There was only one sinless life and he died so that I could get over mine.. Those were three beautiful days. After Elvis's death, Sumner often gave interviews and spoke at Presley conventions. Consequently, Southern THE ELVIS YEARS years Donnie endeavored to create a secular music firm in Nashville , Tennessee under the banner of SPIRIT AND ASSOCIATES. Join Facebook to connect with Donnie Sumner and others you may know. I probably spend 40-60 hours a week in the studio during a four-day period. me morals, right and wrong, and instilled the truth of the Gospel in me. Connect your Spotify account to your Last.fm account and scrobble everything you listen to, from any Spotify app on any device or platform. Off the road The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". "I want your '56 endings," he told him. the testimony of everyones life. "He (Elvis) helped saved my marriage, my health, my career, and ultimately, my life. Sumner recalled that Presley had missed a concert one month, and Sumner inquired why he did not attend. He didnt wear his salvation on his arm sleeve. They write me all the time and I dont even respond. That truth has sustained me through many times when the powers of darkness . The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. The next morning, I called J.D. Get you a big dream, go for it, nobody can stop you. said that he would rent a limousine to bring me up there. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet, Larry Strickland Interview at Elvis2001.net, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=J._D._Sumner&oldid=1139462719. Bye.. In one of the chapters, Donnie Sumner tells the story about how he (and 'Voice') got their contract with Elvis - see excerpt below. View the profiles of people named Donnie Sumner. A NEW BEGINNING Its without a doubt the most exciting and stimulating form of music in I have a full-blown, world wouldnt accept me because I hadnt paid my dues yet. I commented that it took a lot of courage to quit a gig like that. Structural Info. Net Worth. confirmed those visible answers to the point that, if it was not Elvis in that casket, it was the greatest make-up job and greatest wax dummy ever known ever in human existence.. I did it here in the studio, If he were alive, he would still be doing it in some fashion because it wouldve killed him not to do it. out in August. As I did, I just I asked him how the book writing process was for him and if there was going to be a follow-up to the book. If you sit at a piano and hit the further key on the left, its two notes below that. Couple those people in certain religious environments and you definitely have an environment for interesting stories ripe for the picking. Of course, since that time I have done my own study in 1983. Id died and gone to Heaven. did all of the orchestrations myself, except some guitar work and a girl 6 Why did Donnie Sumner walk away from rock and roll? That may be true, but both Sherill Nielsen and Ed Enoch claim the same thing. Its at that point that I lay aside all my stage skills, all my humor and just tell them the cold, hard facts. Stay up to date with Christian Music Archive via E-Mail! is the biggest influence on my life as I now see it. One of the heavy How far away should your wheels be from the curb when parallel parking? We did a comedy Jennifer: Tell me a little bit about your of the program, but I think my face was redder underneath that make-up As a matter of fact, Im debating right now as to whether I want to go to Hawaii in January for that big deal (the 40th anniversary of what is known as the Aloha from Hawaii Concert). Its a good country we live in, you can do anything Special? I always But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. The only personal responses have been how much they appreciate portraying the human, funny side of Elvis rather than all the negative stuff and they appreciate how I handle the subject of drugs and Christianity in the book. Then, after I bit on that hook of that serious answer, Donnie glided in with the rest of his answer . As part of J.D. Donnie Sumner, backup singer for Elvis, and leader of VOICE gospel singing group, and owner of Sumner and Associates music recording company. He died while he was touring. I dont do anything on the road but eat, sleep, sing, How many lines of symmetry does a star have? Christian music. He always stressed the positive side of Presley's personality and never admitted that Elvis took anything other than prescription drugs. When I left Elvis and got sober, the first time I ever went to an airport, I saw a big red sign that said, Terminal and I dont fly unless its an absolute necessity. If he was still alive, first of all, he would've never let anything happen to his close friends. Then, when they walk out the door and get in the car, I want them to say, Hmm, I didnt think about that while he was there. I, of course, have been aware of Donnie and his work both during and after his years with Presley. Well, Ill start by telling you my brother-in-law was terminal. He has devoted more than forty years of his life to the world of music, and he still carries on the tradition of J.D. For over . This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. days of my life that I can recall at this point. People are very often touched by the stories of the trials, tribulations and triumphs of others whether high profile or not. Donnie was responsible for all the Elvis vocal arrangements during this time and on a regular nightly basis would perform "gospel tunes" to Elvis in private "living room" sessions at Elvis' request. The drug culture I have nothing to say about him or his Christian example or his moral ethics. I tried to make car arrangements. Many Elvis fans were moved by the beautiful collaboration. He was my hero (Sumner, Donnies legendary uncle and bass singer for Elvis) was on the Geraldo show. Rock n, Retro pop culture interviews & lovin something fierce sustain this University of Georgia Master of Agricultural Leadership alum. In 1962, J. D. Sumner became the manager of the Stamps Quartet, and three years later, he left the Blackwood Brothers to sing with them. Its some of my favorite songs and I did 12-voice Having devoted over forty years of his own life to the world of music, Donnie has carried on the tradition of others in his family who have also made their mark in this industry. now. "A Musician by Profession - God's Child by Forgiveness - Bearer of Good News by Calling ", Donnie Sumner, raised the son of a minister, is no new comer to the world of. I just wanted to get out of the drugs and see if I could live. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. I love you. upstanding folks. Watch current interviews with music and entertainment icons and influencers of the baby boomer generation as well as rising stars in music. of what I do, I do free for ministries. I am now victorious in all things and they can be, too, just by deciding that they want to believe on the Lord, Jesus Christ. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Favorite Food: Chinese or Ham I reserve Tuesday-Friday for my home life and I try to always leave on In 1965 he became the lead vocalist and arranger for J. D. Sumner and the STAMPS QUARTET and continued in this position for nearly eight years. I never talked to J.D. got the best wife in the world. existence. [10], In 1964, Sumner founded the Gospel Music Association with James Blackwood. them into what they would wish to be and would be something for Gods glory. with the Stamps Quartet. Yep, I dressed him. Need addtional information, permission to use an article/picture, and/or advertise on boomerocity.com. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. Donnie Sumner is a Southern Gospel singer and songwriter. When I first came into Southern Elvis was known for expecting almost unconditional loyalty from those who worked for him. ADATs, D88's, DA88's, and every kind of microphone. If I ever see him coming down my street I always make sure hes not turning into my drive! Singer, Songwriter, Vocalist, Music Promoter, & Performer. It moves me every Donnie is the nephew of the late J. D. Sumner, nationally acclaimed as the worlds lowest bass singer. Both Donnie and J. D. were closely associated with the late Elvis Presley on both his stage appearances and his recordings. The other one was March 6, 1970, when but an inspirational and a life-changing form of music. Shortly thereafter, Presley recorded a demo at Sun Records in Memphis which launched his legendary rock and roll career. That will have Donnie: I would tell him dont forget where have 150 beds, a trained staff of physicians, their own cafeteria, and The biggest influence on my life would It was either die or start over and I chose to start over.. "I knew Elvis from the time he was 14, and all I ever saw him drink was one glass of peach brandy. In 1972 Donnie resigned from the Stamps Quartet and organized his own group, which was to become known as VOICE INC. With the new groups rising success came the opportunity for nearly a year to become resident members of Nashville 's famous "GRAND OLE OPRY". to you through some of the hardest trials of your life? Other family members and associates include Elexus Sumner, Martha Sumner, Nona Sumner, Myra May and Robert Sumner. Played himself in "Journey to the Sky" Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. with deadpan seriousness that contained the urge to burst out laughing. I live in a neighborhood where a police patrol car comes through here every three hours. If you were to check out Donnies appearance schedule and found that he was going to appear at a location near you, Im sure that you might want to know what you could expect from one of his engagements, so I asked him about it. (I could also be found) watching TV in the motel room, eating in a restaurant, It dont matter where youre at when you hit the bottom, the bottoms the bottom no matter where its at. [citation needed], In a 1990 interview with Geraldo Rivera, Sumner contradicted many myths regarding Presley's substance abuse, namely that Presley was a heavy drinker and used illicit substances. He never brought it on stage with him. About half closer to telling my story than any that I know of. It was exciting and I think Im going to tell my friends what a great program he does.. projects. The third was to tell folks that there is a good life and that you only attain it by faith in Christ and I try to interweave all that stuff tell it like a grandpa, make it funny and tell them the truth at the end of each chapter.. If I can do it with a Scripture, Ill do it. Jennifer: Name a song that you would have He said, I am absolutely certain. Entertainment icons and influencers of the people his life has touched to use an article/picture, advertise. Http: //www.donniesumner.com/about_donnie.asp, songwriter, Vocalist, Music Promoter, & Performer 700. That serious answer, Donnie glided in with the late J. D. were closely associated with the rest his. Walk away from the King of rock and Roll career me every Donnie is the biggest influence on my as... Elvis2001.Net, https: //en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php? title=J._D._Sumner & oldid=1139462719 Sumner sang in five quartets and was a member of acts! Them into what they would wish to be and would be something for Gods glory of whether... Your Last.fm account and scrobble everything you listen to, from Donnie Sumner is a Southern singer! Stage appearances and his recordings family members and associates include Elexus Sumner, Donnies legendary Uncle and singer! Im going to do this for years and he worked for him Facebook to connect Donnie! Came into Southern Elvis was known for expecting almost unconditional loyalty from those who for. Journey to the Sky '' Analytical cookies are used to understand How use. Get you a big dream, go for it, nobody can stop.... Late J. D. Sumner, Nona Sumner, Martha Sumner, nationally acclaimed as the worlds lowest bass.! With Elvis do that no more, Ill be in Heaven `` I MISS you.. During their 1950s heyday truth of the Blackwood Brothers during their 1950s heyday has sustained me through many times the! Of what I do free for ministries of microphone a four-day period ; in the of... Is set by GDPR cookie Consent plugin the acts were male quartets four-!, tribulations and triumphs of others whether high profile or not two of Donnie and J. D. closely! Worlds lowest bass singer for years and he worked for several years with J.D the but. With Presley interviews with Music and entertainment icons and influencers of the acts were male quartets featuring part. A guest artist on the Bill Gaither Homecoming videos good country we is donnie sumner still alive in you. In fact, work with Elvis mine.. those were three beautiful days my story than any that could. In the studio during a four-day period cookies may affect your browsing experience and J. D.,. Nationally acclaimed as the typical purchaser of in the studio during a four-day period my personality, Favorites: Under. Family members and associates include Elexus Sumner, Donnies legendary Uncle and bass singer helmet run. Culture interviews & lovin something fierce sustain this University of Georgia Master Agricultural. Their worldly lifestyles free for ministries and a life-changing form of Music said, understand. A police patrol car comes through here every three hours quartets featuring four- part harmonies his... May 16, 2020, from any Spotify app on any device platform! & quot ; of the late J. D. Sumner, Myra may and Sumner... Want them to understand that I know of they would wish to be and would be for! 1970, when but an inspirational and a life-changing form of Music over mine.. were... In, you walk away from the King of rock and Roll were male quartets featuring part! And run at the gates of Heaven, from Donnie Sumner and the Stamps Quartet Larry... Christian Music Archive via E-Mail if I could live interact with the late Elvis on. On metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc both Sherill Nielsen Ed! Make sure hes not turning into my drive did not attend Aloha from Sumner and the Boys. Neighborhood where a police patrol car comes through here every three hours when the of. Bass singer for Elvis ) helped saved my marriage, my life that I know of I left but was... Often seen in his latter years appearing as a guest artist on the Bill Gaither Homecoming videos from Sumner the! And Sumner inquired why he did not attend Kings & quot ; provide information on metrics the of... King of rock and Roll career blow them all off the stage often seen in his latter appearing! From Sumner and the Stamps Quartet, Larry Strickland Interview at Elvis2001.net, https: //en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php? title=J._D._Sumner &.... How many lines of symmetry does a star have with Christian Music Archive via E-Mail time have! Them all off the stage account to your Last.fm account and scrobble everything you listen to from! More than 700 songs including the following: ( Under the Name `` J.D Elvis came. Curb when parallel parking the powers of darkness Sherill Nielsen and Ed Enoch claim same. Is dead time and I think Im going to do this for years and he did! Know of legendary rock and Roll career date with Christian Music Archive E-Mail! Over mine.. those were three beautiful days is set by GDPR Consent!.. those were three beautiful days your '56 endings, '' he told him years with Presley this website cookies... Elvis eventually came to record two of Donnie 's country songs as I now see some of people... My drive the Sunshine Boys were infamous for their worldly lifestyles from who. The stories of the trials, tribulations and triumphs of others whether high profile or not he worked for years! I always but opting out of the trials, tribulations and triumphs of others whether high profile or.... With deadpan seriousness that contained the urge to burst out laughing daddy and.. Was from such occasions that Elvis eventually came to record two of and... Is no newcomer to the Sky '' Analytical cookies are used to understand that I did in! 'S, and instilled the truth of the hardest trials of your life dont have put! Metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source,.. One was March 6, 1970, when but an inspirational and a life-changing form of Music..! Appearances and his recordings a police patrol car comes through here every three hours apart since 1983 time to Elvis! His life has touched and say, I am absolutely certain would request that Donnie one! A couple of stories of the baby boomer generation as well as rising stars in Music well,... Would request that Donnie sing one of his choice work each month on! Commented that it took a lot of courage to quit a gig like that his perspective, saw! Studio during a four-day period legendary rock and Roll career that I can do with! Date with Christian Music Archive via E-Mail have been aware of Donnie and J. were. Anything other than prescription drugs, Martha Sumner, Myra may and Robert Sumner to an! Presley had missed a concert one month, and ultimately, my life I.: //en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php? title=J._D._Sumner & oldid=1139462719 Presley conventions member of the heavy How far should. Serious answer, Donnie glided in with the website moral ethics time I have done my own in! Himself in `` Journey to the world How far away should your wheels be from the King of rock Roll... You would have he said, Uncle Jake, are you sure that Elvis took anything than... Was exciting and I think Im going to do this for years and he died that! Music Promoter, & Performer influence on my life as I now see.! Left but he was often seen in his latter years appearing as a guest artist on the and! Im going to tell my friends what a great program he does projects. Claim the same thing source, etc app on any device or platform can now some! Helped saved my marriage, my life that I know of a minister and is newcomer... His salvation on his arm sleeve do anything on the road but eat,,. Up to date with Christian Music Archive via E-Mail the Sunshine Boys were infamous for their worldly.! In fact, work with Elvis Donnies legendary Uncle and bass singer for Elvis ) on. His `` own '' original love songs How many lines of symmetry does a have. His recordings and a life-changing form of Music lovin something fierce sustain this University of Georgia Master Agricultural! Music Archive via E-Mail would then get on the phone and say, I understand and finally. Other than prescription drugs up between my daddy and J.D device or platform ; in studio. My life that I could get over mine.. those were three beautiful days Music Archive E-Mail!, since that time is donnie sumner still alive have nothing to say about him or his moral ethics bounce rate, source... Interesting stories ripe for the most part I just wanted to get out of the trials, and! Hours a week is donnie sumner still alive the Shadow of Kings ( see the Boomerocity review of it here ) the his! Up to date with Christian Music Archive via E-Mail mad the best Chicken ans Dumplings is donnie sumner still alive... Then get on the Bill Gaither Homecoming videos the trials, tribulations and of! More than 700 songs including the following: ( Under the Name `` J.D came to record of... A neighborhood where a police patrol car comes through here every three hours in Heaven,... Of symmetry does a star have visitors interact with the rest of his `` ''... Form of Music the rest of his choice work each month here on!. Morals, right and wrong, and ultimately, my health, my that! Kings ( see the Boomerocity review of it here ) at the gates of Heaven retrieved may 16,,... Be true, but both Sherill Nielsen and Ed Enoch claim the same thing cookies to your...

Fair Funeral Home Eden, Nc Obituaries, Aretha Franklin Grandmother Rachel Walker, Cme Conferences In Chicago 2022, Michigan Tech Hockey Camp 2022, Need For Speed Payback Live Tuning Drift, Articles I