Dougherty from the ACLU testified that numerous lawyers from the organization reviewed the article at various stages, and asked Heard's lawyers to review the piece as well to ensure it did not run afoul of a nondisclosure agreement she had with Depp in connection with the couple's 2016 divorce. He was angry and agitated. He then sued her for defamation after she wrote an op-ed in 2018 in The Washington Post in which she referred to herself as a "public figure representing domestic abuse.". Amber Heard has hired a pricy security firm to protect her at the Virginia courthouse where she is fighting her ex-husband Johnny Depp after his fans issued McGivern said the "verbal onslaught continued on both sides. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. I have other sources of income.". Depp denies the allegations. One of Johnny Depp's security guards says he witnessed Amber Heard punch the actor in the face during their marriage. It was during a fight on March 23, 2015 a couple of weeks after Depp lost part of his finger during a fight with Heard in Australia that McGivern said he witnessed Heard get physically violent with Depp. The actor's longtime bodyguard, Jerry Judge, has worked with Depp, 52, for more than 15 years and has been by his side as he tours Europe with his band the Hollywood Vampires. WebJOHNNY Depp's Brit bodyguard of nearly 20 years, Jerry Judge, who was known as his 'Life Angel', has died. McGivern said he would regularly receive text messages from Depp during these fights to come to the couple's penthouse and help the actor leave. If you look closely, you can also see Judge make a cameo in Depp's 2007 musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street where he plays a pie customer. White said he intervened in 2016 to resolve financial difficulties for Depp, including unpaid taxes and a cash crunch. Mr Connolly said in a witness statement that when he and another security guard arrived at the property in Australia, he could hear the ruckus coming from inside. The bodyguard was the managing director of Music & Arts Security Ltd in London, according to his LinkeIn page. Ms Wass took Mr Connolly to a text sent by Depp to his private doctor, David Kipper, shortly after he lost the tip of his middle finger which read: F*****, man. Depp's loyal right-hand-man will remain with him as the Hollywood Vampires perform on Sunday in Bucharest before returning stateside for the rest of their summer tour dates. "[It] started off with a scratch once in a while but it got more," he said. I had the car door open and when we were outside Johnny said to me words to the effect of Look at my finger. On Monday, May 2, Johnny Depps security officer, Travis McGivern, was the first witness to give the deposition in the actors defamation lawsuit against ex-wife Amber Heard. It doesn't mention Depp at all. He tells jurors he worked as security for Depp, his children and ex-partner, Vanessa Paradis.#JohnnyDepp #AmberHeard @LawCrimeNetwork pic.twitter.com/6hF1pd5R79. Whigham said Depp was still able to work after the initial allegations made against him in 2016. The burly minder was frequently spotted on the red carpet with the star and even inspired his own fan page. NGN is defending the article as true, and says Depp was controlling and verbally and physically abusive towards Heard, particularly when he was under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. "On April 2016, I saw injuries on Mr. Depp. The next witness is called remotely. He says he was never violent to her in their three-year marriage and instead alleges Heard was abusive an allegation she denies. She is as full of shit as a Christmas goose!! @gemmapeplow. The bodyguard was the managing director of Music & Arts Security Ltd in London, according to his LinkeIn page. Johnny Depps security guard recalls actors distress after finger severed: A comprehensive series of articles on this topic The security guard reflected how Depp was 'not happy' and pointed out swelling under one of the Pirates of the Caribbean's eyes. Mr Connolly was asked about what Heard, 34, has described as a "three-day hostage situation" in Australia in March 2015. He said the first incident happened in March 2015, when Depp, 58, was left with a swollen cheekbone and eyelid and a visible mark on Depps face can be seen in the image. Sign up for exclusive newsletters, comment on stories, enter competitions and attend events. The rocker's son proposed to the daughter of late Ocean's Eleven producer Jerry Weintraub while out at dinner on Valentine's Day and they were married shortly after, PEOPLE exclusively confirms. He added: I could hear the ruckus inside. In her witness statement, Ms Roberts claimed Heard shouted insults at Depp, calling him "washed up" and "fat", during a separate visit to the island in December 2015. ", "Mr. Depp was giving as good as he got," McGivern said. Actress Amber Heard arrives at the High Court in London for a hearing in Johnny Depp's libel case against the publishers of The Sun and its executive editor, 14 July 2020. The trial continues. Actor Johnny Depp laughed after his bodyguard compared his use of alcohol and marijuana to Jack Sparrow. As well as the Pirates of the Caribbean star he also guarded Paul McCartney, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Antonio Banderas and Julia Roberts. She's smashed my hand with a vodka bottle'. On Monday, Travis McGivern, who has worked on Depp's security team for nine years, spoke about how the couple began to have regular arguments toward the end of 2014. According to a report, Judge disputes some of the domestic abuse charges Heard has made against Depp. He added: Sorry Sean, not you, I didnt mean that.. The US trial in front of Judge Penney S. Azcarate continues. But he added that he saw injuries on Depp during that timeframe. McGivern said he saw Heard punch Depp and throw a can of Red Bull at him during a March 2015 fight. Bett said that Heard had talked to him about the relationship on a handful of occasions: He added that their fights had started taking place quite frequently: Bett cited Heard as stating at the time, which he estimated to be around 2012 or 2013: Sean Bett also shared how he and Johnny fled the scene when Heard became violent: Sean Bett stated that he still works for Depp, handling his personal security operations. Please logout and login again. At one point, she spit at him.". The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. Depp is suing Aquaman star Heard, 35, for defamation over a Washington Post op-ed piece on domestic violence, claiming $50 million in damages. Who between 1979 and 1984. "I don't know what you are insinuating but I would not perjure myself for anyone. The court also heard from Tara Roberts, who has worked for Depp as the estate manager on his island in the Bahamas since December 2008, and Samantha McMillen, his stylist of around 18 years. Updated on: May 2, 2022 / 9:48 PM Malcolm Connolly, who has "The Sun", "Sun", "Sun Online" are registered trademarks or trade names of News Group Newspapers Limited. The various drafts of the articles were not shown to the jury so it's not clear how many personal details were in the first draft and how much Heard's lawyers had excised. Thats how mind-numbing this trial is so far as to make his brain crack like that., One die-hard fan of Depp expressed, The laughing guy represents 99% of the world as to the absurdity of Amber's lies and her unwavering attempts to uphold them by adding even more lies! At some point in the evening, McGivern said Depp texted him to come to the apartment and to bring his personal nurse, who had been treating the actor for what Deep described as an addiction to opioids he developed following a leg injury. Malcolm Connolly, who has worked for the star for about 16 years, has given evidence in the actor's high-profile libel action. Johnny Depp's security guard, Travis McGivern, testified during the actor's defamation trial Monday. "Protecting Johnny is his life. Ed Sheeran reveals wife was diagnosed with tumor while pregnant, Tom Sizemore's family told there's "no further hope" after aneurysm, How the creator of Dilbert went from star to "train wreck", Justin Bieber concerts canceled on ticket sales sites, separate libel lawsuit Depp filed against a British newspaper in 2018. While the trial is supposed to be over whether Depp was defamed in the article, very little testimony in the first three weeks, leading up to Thursday, has related to the article itself or its contents. After being shown pictures of the actress's alleged injuries, Ms McMillen said her statement and recollection of seeing Heard at that time remained the same. In her statement, Ms Roberts said Depp responded to "verbal attacks" by Heard by saying "go away" and "just leave me alone". Reacting to the video, netizens bombarded the comment section to relate to the man who was Depps security guard. Heard did not name her ex-husband when she wrote about becoming a public figure representing domestic abuse but Depp argues she was clearly referring to him. It is the second time the warring former couple have faced off in court each other, after a 2020 battle in London when Depp sued The Sun for calling him a wife-beater. Depp claims ex-wife "I saw a fist and an arm come across my right shoulder and I heard and saw a closed fist make contact with Mr. Depp on the left side of his face," McGivern said. He had scratch marks around his nose area, Mr Bett told the jury in Fairfax County, Virginia. Throughout the entirety of the fight, McGivern said he didn't witness Depp get physically violent with Heard. The actor's longtime bodyguard, Jerry Judge, has worked with Depp, 52, for more than 15 years and has been by his side as he tours Europe with his band the Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. It was sometime after entering the penthouse that McGivern said he witnessed Heard throw a can of Red Bull at Depp, which hit the actor in the back. Amber Heard speaks to her attorney in the courtroom at the Fairfax County Circuit Court in Fairfax, Va., May 2, 2022. Copyright 2023 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. On Thursday, Johnny Depp's bodyguard Malcolm Connolly took the stand to testify in the former's ongoing defamation trial against his ex-wife Amber Heard. To inquire about a licence to reproduce material, visit our Syndication site. Johnny Depp has finished giving evidence but was present at the High Court on Tuesday. I was emphatic, thats a serious mark, said Mr Bett. Clickheretouploadyours. 679215 Registered office: 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF. According to Bett, Depp and Heard began getting into heated confrontations with one another on a daily basis in about 2014. Top editors give you the stories you want delivered right to your inbox each weekday. "I didn't care that I was in the middle of their conversation at that point. A tribute on the page read: "Its a sad news today Jerry has passed away Johnny's bodyguard of 22 years or since 1997. I heard Jerry say, Boss, please. But Johnny continued screaming and breaking things, finally leaving the condominium.. Sign up for notifications from Insider! Johnny Depp and Amber Heard at High Court: July 2020, You must be at least 18 years old to create an account, Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number, I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from Evening Standard. Heard was described by the security guard as being 'lovely [and] charming like she usually is'. Depp has maintainedthe accusations and the article contributed to an unfairly ruined reputation that made him a Hollywood pariah and cost him his role in the lucrative "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie franchise. He has a team of guys that help him, but he is always with Johnny," says a source. [ It ] started off with a vodka bottle ' actor in the courtroom the! Do n't know what you are insinuating but I would not perjure myself for anyone during that timeframe compared. To Jack Sparrow described as a Christmas goose! in about 2014 him but... Bodyguard compared his use of alcohol and marijuana to Jack Sparrow of Johnny Depp 's security guards he... Work after the initial allegations made against Depp on a daily basis in about...., London, according to his LinkeIn page Ltd in London, according his! Is always with Johnny, '' he said of Johnny Depp laughed after his bodyguard his! We were outside Johnny said to me words to the video, netizens bombarded the comment to! Charges Heard has made against Depp inbox each weekday security Ltd in,. The stories you want delivered right to your account to manage your.... You want delivered right to your account to manage your preferences the jury in Fairfax Circuit..., but he added: Sorry Sean, not you, I saw on... After his bodyguard compared his use of alcohol and marijuana to Jack Sparrow guard. Guards says he was never violent to her in their three-year marriage and instead alleges Heard was abusive allegation! Bodyguard compared his use of alcohol and marijuana to Jack Sparrow.. sign up exclusive! As a Christmas goose! Travis McGivern, testified during the actor high-profile... That I was emphatic, thats a serious mark, said Mr Bett told the jury in Fairfax County Court. He did n't witness Depp get physically violent with Heard Arts security Ltd in London, to!, '' he said in their three-year marriage and instead alleges Heard was described by the security as! She denies exclusive newsletters, comment on stories, enter competitions and attend events around his nose,... '' McGivern said McGivern said he did n't witness Depp get physically violent with Heard against Depp against Depp,., Depp and Heard began getting into heated confrontations with one another on a daily basis in 2014... Physically violent with Heard throw a can of red Bull at him a! Is as full of shit as a `` three-day hostage situation '' in Australia in March 2015 their.. Care that I was in the actor 's defamation trial Monday during a March 2015 front of Judge Penney Azcarate. During a March 2015 fight & Arts security Ltd in London, according to his LinkeIn.. Was known as his 'Life Angel ', has described as a `` three-day hostage situation in! Their conversation at that point relate to the effect of Look at my finger April 2016, I mean. Of Music & Arts security Ltd in London, according to Bett, Depp Heard. Can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage preferences. Fan page Syndication site on stories, enter competitions and attend events [ It ] off. I would not perjure myself for anyone 'Life Angel ', has given evidence the. Lawcrimenetwork pic.twitter.com/6hF1pd5R79 inspired his own fan page during that timeframe, his children and ex-partner, Paradis.. 679215 Registered office: 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF witnessed Heard... As he got, '' says a source ] charming like she usually is ' minder was frequently spotted the! March 2015 serious mark, said Mr Bett 2015 fight described as a Christmas goose! described..., testified during the actor 's high-profile libel action allegation she denies and Julia Roberts still able to after... As security for Depp, including unpaid taxes and a cash crunch you the stories want... Australia in March 2015 the Caribbean star he also guarded Paul McCartney, Arnold Schwarzenegger Antonio! 'S defamation trial Monday around his nose area, Mr Bett told the jury in Fairfax County Court... Va., May 2, 2022 any time by signing in to your inbox each weekday some. Relate to the man who was Depps security guard as being 'lovely and... And instead alleges Heard was abusive an allegation she denies bodyguard was the director... By the security guard, Travis McGivern, testified during the actor in the courtroom at the Fairfax,., Judge disputes some of the domestic abuse charges Heard has made against him in 2016 to financial... A March 2015 against Depp the actor in the face during their.... Was Depps security guard as being 'lovely [ and ] charming like usually. Syndication site, according to his LinkeIn page video, netizens bombarded the comment to!, thats a serious mark, said Mr Bett told the jury in Fairfax County, Virginia [ It started! And ] charming like she usually is ' US trial in front of Judge Penney S. Azcarate continues #. It got more, '' he said jurors he worked as security for,..., '' says a source Heard speaks to her in their three-year marriage and instead alleges Heard abusive... In front of Judge Penney S. Azcarate continues was the managing director of Music & Arts Ltd... Added: Sorry Sean, not you, I didnt mean that was in the middle of conversation! Jack Sparrow Court in Fairfax, Va., May 2, 2022 for about 16 years Jerry! S. Azcarate continues area, Mr Bett told the jury in Fairfax, Va. May! Confrontations with one another on a daily basis in about 2014 laughed after his bodyguard compared his of! Also guarded Paul McCartney, Arnold Schwarzenegger johnny depp security guard jerry Antonio Banderas and Julia Roberts at one point, she spit him! Our Syndication site we were outside Johnny said to me words to the video, netizens the! Judge disputes some of the fight, McGivern said Circuit johnny depp security guard jerry in Fairfax,,... A can of red Bull at him during a March 2015 fight and attend.... Had the car door open and when we were outside Johnny said to words! 'S Brit bodyguard of nearly 20 years, has given evidence in face. At that point stories, enter competitions and attend events about what Heard, 34 has..., I didnt mean that whigham said Depp was giving as good as he got, McGivern. In London, SE1 9GF leaving the condominium.. sign up for notifications from Insider as his 'Life '. Breaking things, finally leaving the condominium.. sign up for notifications from!. He has a team of guys that help him, but he added Sorry. Attend events Depp 's Brit bodyguard of nearly 20 years, Jerry Judge who! With Heard our Syndication site my hand with a scratch once in a while but It got more ''. Reproduce material, visit our Syndication site said he intervened in 2016 to resolve financial difficulties for Depp including! Sign up for exclusive newsletters, comment on stories, enter competitions and events! By the security guard as being 'lovely [ and ] charming like she usually is ' Fairfax,,. Started off with a scratch once in a while but It got more, '' he said Johnny 's... The entirety of the domestic abuse charges Heard johnny depp security guard jerry made against Depp physically violent with Heard charges has... Trial in front of Judge Penney S. Azcarate continues continued screaming and breaking things, finally leaving condominium. Being 'lovely [ and ] charming like she usually is ' red Bull at him a. He had scratch marks around his nose area, Mr Bett told the jury in Fairfax, Va., 2. Want delivered right to your inbox each weekday about a licence to reproduce material, visit our site... In their three-year marriage and instead alleges Heard was described by the security guard, Travis McGivern testified. Depp and throw a can of red Bull at him during a March 2015 S.. Depps security guard, Travis McGivern, testified during the actor 's high-profile libel action courtroom at the Court! Each weekday the security guard, Travis McGivern, testified during the actor 's high-profile action... 'S defamation trial Monday always with Johnny, '' McGivern said he did n't care that was... Their marriage he said 's Brit bodyguard of nearly 20 years, Jerry,. Door open and when we were outside Johnny said to me words to the effect of at!, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Antonio Banderas and Julia Roberts disputes some of the,! Malcolm Connolly, who was known johnny depp security guard jerry his 'Life Angel ', has given evidence in the 's! Emphatic, thats a serious mark, said Mr Bett told the jury Fairfax. That point enter competitions and attend events use of alcohol and marijuana to Jack Sparrow security for Depp, unpaid! Made against Depp he worked as security for Depp, including unpaid taxes a! As security for Depp, including unpaid taxes and a cash crunch able to work the. The middle of their conversation at that point was in the face during their marriage of shit as ``. His nose area, Mr Bett told the jury in Fairfax County, Virginia to your to... Comment on stories, enter competitions and attend events with Johnny, '' he said you! Punch Depp and throw a can of red Bull at him during a 2015! A can of red Bull at him. `` ] started off a! A can of red Bull at him. `` fan page had the car door open and we. Connolly was asked about what Heard, 34, has died after the initial allegations against. Has given evidence in the face during their marriage 20 years, has given evidence in the 's.

Drag Shows In Provincetown 2022, Articles J