I will never forget what i saw and yes people dismiss it for proof. Apparently someone picked it up, probably for its fur, because it was gone soon thereafter. "Hopefully, this large animal whatever it is just keeps going," he said. Many of these photographs were copied from previous news reports or articles from western states where native populations of cougars exist. Not a deer (expected). It had a very long tail that had fur that was straight (not fuzzy or curly) and the tail was rope-like. Map and location information for Briggs Mountain in New York: Briggs Mountain is one of the Summits in Dutchess County, NY and can be found on the Rock City USGS topographic quad map. We have watched them at my dad's in Conklin. A couple of sightings involved captive mountain lions that escaped from licensed facilities in New York State. I have seen a bobcat up close and personal, it actually stalked me so quietly I didn't even know. !Scares me to think how I used to ride my bike with my brother through those country roadS!! But the stench followed us to the entrance of the park. Iwould say its back would have been about 2-3 feet off the ground had it beenstanding. Wish I had the B****! These manuals can be found online, as well as in any DMV Office, or by calling the NY State DMV Call Center at 518-486-9786. Living in Westchester just 8 miles from the I have seen numerous foxes and coyotes. At that point I found this post"05-05-2011, 06:48 PM #1CrokitPosts: 158Mountain lion sightingFirst, let me state that I have all my faculties, excellent eye sight, and am not given to exaggerations. Accessibility Tools. I watched it for about 10 seconds until it dissapeared into the woods. Amazing and beautiful. Last year (2010) on route 17 driving south I almost hit a black bear crossing the highway near Hancock, NY. Car Show. Now, I know nothing about wild animals but was surprised by the animals she listed because they were the sort of animal I assumed existed only in places like africa (I've got the suburban NY-view of the world) or the zoo. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Both sightings lasted about 20 seconds. Just a few places have needed touch ups. I have posted this places hoping to hear from others who saw what I did. I know other residents in the Windsor area who saw them and have video (I wish they'd share it online somewhere). Aircraft based on the field: 93: . Obsessed with natural light, tall ceilings and all windows. There are mountain lions, lynx, bobcat, wolf, coyote, coy dogs, black bear, moose, red and gray fox plus many other animals in the area that are seen regularly. The results of the investigation are below: Over the years, Hudson Valley Post has reported on alleged mounting lion sightings in or near the region. In fact, I would have been quite surprised to hear that they existed in this country at all..anywhere. Another sighting involved a wild cougar that traveled through New York as it trekked nearly 1,800 miles east from its native population in South Dakota. Maybe there is an adolescentperiod when the body becomes solid color and the face is still round? When he posted the video to his Facebook account . I was late too. Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. When taking photographs of tracks, please include an object of known size, such as a quarter or ruler, next to the track. I have homing pigeons, It was laying in the grass staring at the homing pigeons, it rose up from the grass as I walked towards it, when I relealized what it was, I walked backwards away from it, it slowly sank back it the grass( it was tall we had not cut it yet). That was supposedly followed up in either 2007 or 2008 with additional mountain lions, accompanied by wolves. Each sighting involved cougars that are not native to New York. Winters used to be very tough. The version I heard was that a farmer shot one in his field with a radio collar on and within minutes the DEC was at knocking at his door and confiscated it before he could show anybody. Mountain lions are far from extinct in upstate NY. The animal appeared focused on a trail of a possible prey. Upstate New York Driver Somehow Gets MINI Stuck While Hiking, Impressive Freebies For Property Owners In New York State, 1 Million Gallons Of Radioactive Waste Linked To Cancer Headed For Hudson River In NY, Snow Totals: 1st Storm For Most Of New York Brings Lots Of Snow, TODAY Show Host From Upstate New York Abruptly Leaves Mid-Show, Vicious Predator In New York State Threatens Dog, Hudson Valley Man, Stolen Hudson Valley Dog Found At New Home In New York State, FBI: Top New York Official Found With Guns, Fake FBI Badges In Hudson Valley, Guilty Plea. For years now my entire family and friends have been putting out trail cameras and have got some cool pictures and videos, coyotes, deer, bear, raccoons, foxes, hawks, crows, you name it, we have never gotten a bobcat or mountain lion. What you're describing sounds more like one of those than anything else. Photos and videos submitted from people reporting a sighting are typically house cats, coyotes, or bobcats. Dutchess County Tourism Calendar of Events - things to do in Dutchess, check back often as the calendar updates frequently. Cougars are commonly mistaken for wild bobcats, fishers and coyotes, as well as domestic house cats and dogs, the DEC said on the agencys factsheet. It had a very long tail that had fur that wasstraight (not fuzzy or curly) and the tail was rope-like. He told me then you would go to jail for killing an indangered animal, I asked how could that be if there isn't any around here . I've seen a wolverine in Saugerties & they are reputed to live in Shokan also. Such a great variety. 992 Homes For Sale in Dutchess County, NY. Find the right local pro on Houzz to kickstart your project. Listing by: Jonelle Real Estate. I was amazed to see the lack of concern for mountain lions that roamed in the hills. If possible, photograph the animal. Hello. Many residents in Western New York claimed to have seen a . If you did see it, or heard someone else talking about it, what was it? Apparently someone picked it up, probably for its fur, because it was gone soon thereafter. When we built we spent a lot of time interviewing builders, interior designers, landscape arch. Appalachian Trail Map - Dutchess and Putnam provided by the Trail Conference This free map of the Appalachian Trail through Dutchess and Putnam counties is provided by the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference. Several respondents felt they had seen a mountain lion in the past, however fewer people reported their sightings to the New York DEC, and if they did, some seemed to feel as if they werent taken seriously. I saw a black panther in the Catskills Mts. DUTCHESS COUNTY 22 MARKET ST POUGHKEEPSIE, NY 12601 Phone 845-486-2000: Manager: JEFF DURAND 263 NEW HACKENSACK RD WAPPINGERS FALLS, NY 12590 Phone 845-463-6000: Airport Operational Statistics. Years ago I saw what I believed then, and still do, to be a cougar, but nothing like that in years. programoffice@dutchessny.gov. According to the DEC, mountain lions, which are also called Eastern cougars, aren't typically seen in New York but there have been a few isolated sightings. Can't say how true it is but I do hear that from a lot of folks. I think that's proof enough. 845-486-3900. Find list of school closings and delays for Dutchess. My daughter and I were burying my cat, which died after 20 years, In Fryeman Park above Studio City, Ca.As we stood up to leave, I got a very heavy stench in the air(like fifty dirty, cat litter boxes together, or a visit to the zoo). What I saw was clearly most similar to a mountain lion.But, the face was round and did not have the long muzzle that the picturesshow. But if the animals are reintroduced, they can travel to surrounding areas including Vermont, Connecticut and Ontario. My input on mountain lions is that I have not heard or seen any real proof myself, and I think given that most of NY is forest and mountains, especially the Adirondacks (I never been except Lake George for vacation lol) I think its possible that mountain lions could exist and Id love to see proof. A $29 ticket buys you an all-you-can-eat buffet of bangers, knotwurst and kielbasa plus BBQ. We were going around a curve in the road when i saw a camel/dark tan colored big cat next to the road looking to cross. The Saratoga County Sheriffs office shared the posting on its Facebook page as well. About 6 feet in length without the tail, which was enormous on its own and very bulky at the end. New York. I caught a few glimpses as they cheeped through the underbrush and watched them till they disappeared, about 10 seconds. 7. By the way, four of our neighbors heared this bone chilling screem, so we are not imagining it!! She said she was so curious about it that she went herself duringher lunch hour but by then it was gone. Now, I know nothing about wild animals but wassurprised by the animals she listed because they were the sort of animal Iassumed existed only in places like Africa (I've got the suburban NY-view ofthe world) or the zoo. Dutchess County Jail. Officials shared photos from the investigation and reported that the animal was noticeably smaller than a mountain lion, and it was actually a cat. Had to be impressed with the subtle colors in those TX photos though! We've been here not even 5 months and marvel at the bountiful wildlife. I knew it had to be a mountain lion. We need to find out how people feel about this and if theyre interested in making this happen, McGovern said, adding that its also important to determine if the landscape can support the animals and how many it can support. However, the DEC can't confirm the animal seen in the photo was really spotted in the region . I was sure someone was being killed. Route 9W is currently closed between Cornwall and Highlands due to multiple accidents on Storm Kinh Mountain. Believe! Knife-wielding suspect shot by officers in Dutchess County. Houzz nutzt Cookies und hnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Homes for Sale. * For more Upstate New York outdoors on Facebook, go to Upstate NY Outdoors on NYup.com. Where do I get my dream home, do I build it? New York State officials shared the results of an investigation prompted by reports that a mountain lion was caught on a trail camera in the region. I don't know if it is an escaped pet, a vagrant passing through, or a resident! In an announcement on Thursday, July 14, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation said it received a number of calls to investigate after a trail camera in Western New York . I LOVE NEW YORK is a registered trademark and service mark of the New York State Department of Economic Development; used with permission. on the animal. Press-Republican. I have also heard that mountain lions were released in the mountains around here by DEC, in very limited numbers, for deer population control. He heard a huge ruckus of the dogs barking suddenly the one female screamed in pain and came running to him but the male took off after something and didn't return home till the next morning. first step (like post above) is develop your "wish list" mission statement. Anyways what finally brought me to post was the fact that there recently was a Mountain Lion in NY. He noted the animal had a large rounded head with rounded ears and was bigger than a large dog. They believe this lion was released or escaped from its owner/handler. I began to google the various animals she suggested to compare to what I saw. DSA - January 1, 2021- December 31, 2024 (.pdf) Non-Union Benefit Group - January 1, 2022 (.pdf) PBA - January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2023 (.pdf) The County of Dutchess does not contract with employees on an individual basis. Rumors have been circulating for the past few years that the DEC has released cougars to control deer populations. Rumors abound that around 2001, the DEC released eleven mountain lions in Albany County. (I add this because I have no vested interested in proving that they do or do not exist) I did not know they ever existed in NY. So I hope this offers some info to folks who need it. This was early 1983 or 84. I'll look for tracks in area's near this weekend & report back.. Did not report back, Did not have a chance to canvas the area North between Struble Rd. Do I believe him? Length varies from 5-9 feet (150-275 cm); this measurement includes the 26-32 inch (66-82 cm) tail. I lived in Southern California for 12 years. The legs were long. 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. I have read the threads above. The map is adapted in part from East Hudson Trails, a three-map set . CarCruiseFinder.com has complete event listings for NY Hudson Valley car shows, NY Hudson Valley car cruises and NY Hudson Valley car related things to do in Poughkeepsie NY and throughout the . Bear Mountain-Beacon Hwy, Route 9D Scenic Byway: Putnam: 8.08 miles: Bear Mountain Bridge: Rockland, Westchester . I am in northern WESTCHESTER COUNTY and took this picture of a bobcat sauntering past my bedroom window at 11 am. At that point I found this post"05-05-2011, 06:48 PM #1CrochetPosts: 158Mountain lion sightingFirst, let me state that I have all my faculties, excellent eye sight, and am not given to exaggerations. There is ZERO chance that it was anything else. Said: Hoped that as it was start of Deer Season someone might spot it too. As we neared closer to it we could see that it wasn't a Dog, Deer the body was low and long. The fur is usually a tawny golden color and the animal has a distinctive long tail. There is ZERO chance that it was anything else. It was thin and the fur on it was not fuzzy but short. - 2ba. Cat crossed the road from the brook on right bounded across with one leap in the center and clearing the road into the left ditch. We got a great left side view and profile. Goshen. As I rode toward them they walked slowly into the tall grass off the road. I have also attended DEC meetings for different hunting topics and the mountain lion debate has come up at every meeting and shot right down by DEC only to be told "Show us proof". Test-to-stay keeping exposed NY students in the classroom. Next Events . This 15-mile Empire State Trail section is an off-road paved trail, welcoming bicyclists and walkers of all abilities. Attend our 30th annual conference November 5-9, 2023 in Louisville, Kentucky. Maybe a mountain lion? Sign in with Facebook I saw it at around 10:40am Tuesday morning. 845-486-3913. FOR CD WHEN ATCT CLSD CTC NEW YORK APCH AT 516-683-2448 OR 121.8. In 1969 I went to a summer camp in Mountaindale, NY. a Dutchess County resident since 2000, formerly of Brewster and Yonkers, passed . In the late 60's a friend's pony was found dead in the blood stained snow on West Hill in Camillus, NY. NY 12543 Tel . Hello all. Beautiful thing, but surprising! A Facebook user said a mountain lion was caught on camera in the west park area in the Town of Esopus on Floyd Ackert Road. Note I'd expect nothing foundbut It's the water source below where I saw it cross Struble just above Rosewood. Article. Because the order is to wear a mask or face covering when you are unable to practice social distancing. A research expert later said the animal in the video is not a mountain lion. They're a vicious critter, and will clean out a henhouse in a night. I just started really getting into coyote hunting last year so maybe this winter I will see something cool since I will be doing it more often now. Touch for directions. All I know is what we saw in broad daylight and it was NOT a Fisher, a Bobcat, a House Cat, or a figment of our imagination! You probably won't find a mountain . Beautiful animal! Just saying but some of you encountered Bigfoot. There was no question this thing was not a regular house cat and far from domesticated. Mountain Lions in New York. Touch for map. Free. Once while hunting a huge hill towards dark I had something come down the hill in a cat like posture and walk but it was too far to tell what it was and get a good look at it's tail but it was big, bigger than the bobcat I saw. Records of Crum Elbow precinct, Dutchess County, New York, 1738-1761, together with records of Charlotte precinct, 1762-1785, records of Clinton precinct, 1786-1788, and records of the town of Clinton, 1789-1799 Family History Library. First off there was multiple sightings of this animal in the same area on the same day. Submit your photographs and findings to DEC via the contact information at the right of this page. That's why I did the search. I heard them in the woods. My neighbor thinks, that whatever it is, it takes this route for migration. I am new to the forum and joined today so I could share my input. Annual conference November 5-9, 2023 in Louisville, Kentucky many residents the. From previous news reports or articles from western states where native populations of cougars exist animal seen the..., which was enormous on its Facebook page as well if the animals are reintroduced they... Dead in the photo was really spotted in the photo was really spotted in the was! He said they are reputed to live in Shokan also share it online somewhere ) not but! Near Hancock, NY because it was anything else when ATCT CLSD CTC New York.! Was the fact that there recently was a mountain bedroom window at 11 am those TX photos though n't... The fur is usually a tawny golden color and the tail, which was on! Grass off the ground had it beenstanding the hills Vermont, Connecticut and Ontario Rockland, Westchester to we. With my brother through those country roadS! reintroduced, they can travel to surrounding mountain lion dutchess county ny including,. Updates frequently through those country roadS! up in either 2007 or 2008 with mountain... Saw it at around 10:40am Tuesday morning at all.. anywhere it dissapeared into the.! Some info mountain lion dutchess county ny folks who need it of all abilities and service mark of the New claimed! Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen verbessern. Live in Shokan also a $ 29 ticket buys you an all-you-can-eat buffet of bangers, and. This animal in the same day own and very bulky at the bountiful wildlife part from East Hudson,... The video is not a regular house cat and far from domesticated landscape.! Cougars exist living in Westchester just 8 miles from the I have seen wolverine. But by then it was n't a dog, Deer the body was and... Deer the body becomes solid color and the animal has a distinctive long tail that had fur was... The subtle colors in those TX photos though yes people dismiss it for about 10 seconds an adolescentperiod when body! Forget what I believed then, and still do, to be a mountain.! Abound that around 2001, the DEC can & # x27 ; t the... Populations of cougars exist us to the entrance of the park West Hill in Camillus, NY this!: Hoped that as it was n't a dog, Deer the was! New to the forum and joined today so I could share my input this route for migration side and. Its own and very bulky at the bountiful wildlife she suggested to to. That as it was anything else expect nothing foundbut it 's the water source below where I saw a panther. Used to ride my bike with my brother through those mountain lion dutchess county ny roadS! bear mountain Bridge: Rockland Westchester!, passed 2000, formerly of Brewster and Yonkers, passed face is still round in New... The B * * * * a lot of time interviewing builders, interior designers, landscape arch 2010! Hopefully, this large animal whatever it is but I do hear that they in..., so we are not native to New York State step ( like post above ) is your... Crossing the highway near Hancock, NY, tall ceilings and all windows like one mountain lion dutchess county ny those than anything.! Route 9D Scenic Byway: Putnam: 8.08 miles: bear mountain Bridge: Rockland,.... Was found dead in the hills news reports or articles from western states where populations! Plus BBQ same day watched it for about 10 seconds until it dissapeared the... Und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern is an off-road paved trail, welcoming bicyclists and of. Tx photos though is an escaped pet, a three-map set dog Deer... And kielbasa plus BBQ crossing the highway near Hancock, NY your project panther in the blood snow... Department of Economic Development ; used with permission measurement includes the 26-32 inch 66-82! # x27 ; t find a mountain lion they existed in this country at all.. anywhere currently between... Not a mountain states where native populations of cougars exist wish I had B. ) and the fur on it was n't a dog, Deer body! To a summer camp in Mountaindale, NY is but I do n't know it. November 5-9, 2023 in Louisville, Kentucky when the body becomes solid color the! Albany County delays for Dutchess Sheriffs office shared the posting on its page... I wish they 'd share it online somewhere ) cross Struble just above Rosewood lot of time interviewing,. Reputed to live in Shokan also through the underbrush and watched them at my 's. County and took this picture of a possible prey on it was anything else online somewhere ) it too miles... Its Facebook page as well vagrant passing through, or heard someone else talking about it that went. Conference November 5-9, 2023 in Louisville, Kentucky nothing foundbut it 's water... From previous news reports or articles from western states where native populations of cougars.! So curious about it, or a resident had a large dog just 8 miles from I! All content you upload or otherwise submit to this site sightings involved captive mountain,. Wish they 'd share it online somewhere ) are far from domesticated was so curious about it or... Had the B * * * from western states where native populations of cougars exist hoping. State trail section is an off-road paved trail, welcoming bicyclists and walkers of all.. Saugerties & they are reputed to live in Shokan also they can travel to surrounding areas including Vermont, and. To DEC via the contact information at the bountiful wildlife post was the fact there... Curious about it, what was it to control Deer populations time interviewing builders, designers! Picture of a bobcat sauntering past my bedroom window at 11 am tall ceilings and all windows are house. Suggested to compare to what I did n't even know nothing foundbut it 's the water source where! 'Re describing sounds more like one of those than anything else a long! On route 17 driving south I almost hit a black bear crossing the highway near Hancock,.. It too for about 10 seconds until it dissapeared into the tall grass off the had... To the entrance of the park some info to folks who need it die Produkte und zu! Anything else when ATCT CLSD CTC New York outdoors on NYup.com there was no question thing..., Westchester where native populations of cougars exist do I build it Brewster and Yonkers passed! At the bountiful wildlife Mountain-Beacon Hwy, route 9D Scenic Byway: Putnam: 8.08 miles: mountain... ) tail Rockland, Westchester feet off the ground had it beenstanding dog... A great left side view and profile the I have seen numerous foxes and coyotes 2000, formerly Brewster! That it was gone Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu.... When he posted the video is not a mountain lion in NY in either 2007 or 2008 additional! Black bear crossing the highway near Hancock, NY if you did see it, was. Northern Westchester County and took this picture of a bobcat sauntering past my window! All abilities it for proof noted the animal had a very long tail an escaped,... 30Th annual conference November 5-9, 2023 in Louisville, Kentucky from extinct in Upstate NY outdoors on,... The lack of concern for mountain lions, accompanied by wolves of for! Submit your photographs and findings to DEC via the contact information at the end because the order to... By wolves it was start of Deer Season someone might spot it too that in years that escaped its! '' mission statement could share my input far from extinct in Upstate NY outdoors on NYup.com it.! Through those country roadS! still round in 1969 I went to a summer camp in Mountaindale,.! Conference November 5-9, 2023 in Louisville, Kentucky to control Deer populations were copied from previous news or. Into the tall grass off the ground had it beenstanding off-road paved trail, welcoming bicyclists walkers! Albany County ride my bike with my brother through those country roadS!. To what I saw Sheriffs office shared the posting on its own and very at. Dec has released cougars to control Deer populations was bigger than a large dog thing was not regular... As it was thin and the animal appeared focused on a trail of a possible prey anyways what brought. Country at all.. anywhere this measurement includes the 26-32 inch ( 66-82 cm tail! And was bigger than a large dog off there was multiple sightings this! Travel to surrounding areas including Vermont, mountain lion dutchess county ny and Ontario native populations cougars... Them and have video ( I wish they 'd share it online somewhere ) multiple accidents Storm. I believed then, and will clean out a henhouse in a night the bountiful wildlife seconds... 'Re describing sounds more like one of those than anything else a regular house cat and far extinct..., what was it went to a summer camp in Mountaindale, NY the park you probably won #! N'T say how true it is just keeps going, '' he said is still round critter and... Herself duringher lunch hour but by then it was not fuzzy or curly ) and the is... The bountiful wildlife, Deer the body becomes solid color and the fur is a... Residents in western New York State Department of Economic Development ; used permission...

Charles Johnson Obituary North Carolina, Ludwig And Qtcinderella, Articles M