Bob Pockrass has spent decades covering motorsports, including the past 30 Daytona 500s. Coliseum, Joey Logano was able to take the lead from Kyle Busch and pull away to win the Busch Light Clash at the Coliseum to open the 2022 season. We figured it would be less crowded, shorter and not a financial investment (50 bucks total) if he hated it. Its been a few years since I been to Kansas. As per a tweet by Bob Pockrass, the president Some of NASCARs initiatives have been quite visible, such as the hiring of NFL star and NASCAR fan Alvin Kamara to promote the sport. Masks are also required to be worn at all times regardless of vaccination status, except while eating and drinking. Logano, who hails from Middletown, Connecticut, went on to win again three weeks later at the 2022 NASCAR Cup Series Championship Race in Phoenix, capturing his second career title. If anyone has two tickets that they need to get rid off last minute then I would be interested! Hes been the fastest driver in the Cup series through two races. "I don't know if that will continue as the races and years go by with this car, but right now it's crazy.". Among them will be defending champion Kyle Larson leading the Hendrick Motorsports charge. These days aren't exactly like those, but they are a heckuva lot closer than anyone could have possibly believed. So has Brad Keselowski, who bought into now-Roush Fenway Keselowski Racing, a team that immediately won a Duel 150 qualifying race at Daytona but has yet to earn a top five points-paying finish. Overall, the sport is up in comparison to 2019 Looking into attending Kansas this September. There are plenty of short tracks though maybe not quarter-mile tracks that NASCAR could have raced. Are there certain opportunities to meet drivers that I should know about? The 30-year-old graduate from the University of Florida who dabbled as a racer in NASCARs development series has been charged with generating interest in a sport that has faced headwinds over the past decade. We're halfway to the playoffs. Thats what it says for Dover. Cup driver Denny Hamlin co-owns a team with Michael Jordan, and former driver Justin Marks co-owns a team with entertainer Pitbull. In the Las Vegas record books, only Jimmie Johnson sits above Logano with four career wins. Thats a near-unprecedented number of different winners over the course of one calendar year. "We all love racing so much and we want to win, whether we are driving or in the front office," explains Gordon, who showed us all the agony of defeat at Darlington when Logano's win came at the expense of the racer who now pilots Gordon's old ride, William Byron. More than half of the drivers in the field each week are twenty-somethings, simply the latest bar on a graph that has trended younger for the last half-decade. It was cool. NASCAR is no longer the biggest game in town; local attendance figures are one measure of its declining presence. driver Pierre Gasly and Moto2 rider Tony Arbolino. Definitely trying to bat the Sonoma heat. The event at the Coliseum certainly created more buzz. Your login session has expired. With the Next Gen car designed to be more nimble on road courses, NASCAR should test the boot to see if it could add to The Glen product. Top race day attendance 141,000 at Silverstone. A two-time NASCAR Cup series champion and 60-time Cup series race winner, 37-year-old Kyle Rowdy Busch is the most accomplished driver ever to hail from Las Vegas. Already a subscriber? The first starts Friday, March 3, with the Victorias Voice Foundation 200 Truck Series event, and ends Sunday, March 5, with the Pennzoil 400 Cup Series race. WebNo less) late September for $260 44 FMJoey325 Sebastian Vettel 4 mo. And so he thought bold, and this was his boldest idea yet. In past years, it might have been easy to narrow the potential list of Las Vegas winners down to five or six drivers, but thats no longer the case. Follow your favorite team and driver's progress with daily updates Using the boot would turn the course from a 2.454-mile course to a 3.4-mile course. "I don't lose sleep over anything, really other than just my kids waking up too early or something like that." "It's been a while since we've been here, so hopefully we put on a good show for you," Watkins Glen winner Kyle Larson told the fans after his win Sunday at a track that did not host a race last year. Welcome to this month's NASCAR 101 and Track Attendance Questions Thread! Fox's TV ratings are up nearly 20 percent over one year ago, including a giant number posted on a date that was long-considered NASCAR taboo, Easter evening. "Change the geometry, the suspension, shim the body a little bit, and then go race. NASCAR hoped that with the banning of the Confederate flag last season (at the urging of Bubba Wallace, the sports only full-time national series Black driver), as well as more outreach focusing on diversity, it could attract a younger, more diverse audience. Also, attendees under 35 are nearly twice as likely as the rest of NASCAR attendees to be Black or Hispanic. Speaking of those guys Those three first-time winners -- Chastain, Phoenix victor Chase Briscoe and Daytona 500 stunner Austin Cindric -- are all under 30, and they have a lot of company. NASCAR 101: A thread for new fans, returning fans, and even current fans to ask any questions they've always wanted to ask. The Speedways capacity has twice been That survey builds on a study done in February 2021, which indicated that fans who said they became NASCAR fans in the past three years were 22% Hispanic, 19% Black and 9% Asian, which is half of all new fans in that survey. Some observers "put it down to all the NCAA March Madness basketball to watch from home." The 2022 NASCAR Cup Series season has officially gotten underway, and in a way that only fans, sponsors and partners alike could have hoped for. Hamlin, Jones, Almirola and Truex next up. If Chastain thinks the quick turnaround on these smaller fleets is wild, then what must he think of the results it has created on the racetrack? 42 car for the rebranded Legacy Motor Club (Chevrolet), majority-owned by Allegiant Air CEO Maury Gallagher and recently retired NASCAR legend Jimmie Johnson. The reduced number is due to some seats in the lower area of the stadium being blocked off for safety measures. Coliseum and the type of venue in general, too," Kennedy said. Atlanta Motor Speedway and Bristol Motor Speedway both confirmed their biggest spring crowds since 2014 and 2017, respectively. NASCAR doesn't release attendance numbers, but series track execs say that in-person crowds are also up by double-digits over 2021. Renewable Fuels Association (RFA) president and CEO Geoff Cooper is pleased with attendance at this year's National Ethanol Conference in Orlando. "Youve got young talent that is starting to build fandom. Because the drivers bought in to an extra trip on their schedule, with the idea to grow their brands as well as the sport. A bad week or the dark horse from F1 testing? Noah Gragson, who grew up in Las Vegas and began his career in local races at the speedway. Las Vegas Sun, 2023, All Rights Reserved, Vegas Vipers Home Opener Against DCDefenders, Durango Beats Liberty, 57-47, in Boys 5A BasketballChampionship. I am embarrassingly naive regarding what a race day looks like for a fan. Daily updates aggregating the stories and spin from more than 600 outlets across the globe. "You give us a new car and limited practice each weekend and it definitely opens the door of opportunity for a lot of guys to figure some stuff out, and some not to," said Ryan Blaney, who is second in the championship standings but winless this year. Loganos previous NASCAR victory came at NASCARs latest experiment: putting dirt on Bristol Motor Speedway for a regular-season event. At its tracks this year, its database shows that 30% of attendees are new, and new attendees are twice as likely as returning fans to be under age 35. He joined FOX Sports in 2019 following stints at ESPN, Sporting News, NASCAR Scene magazine and The (Daytona Beach) News-Journal. Despite COVID-19, there are no restrictions on how many people will be allowed to attend. Churchill Downs has been home to some of the most incredible moments in sports history. Thanks. NASCAR sometimes seems to get lost in the shuffle, even though the nations largest auto racing organization was perhaps the first top-tier pro sport to embrace our Valley. When NASCAR rolled out the Next Gen car that debuted this season, they promised a super-durable, one-size-fits-all-tracks machine that could take a licking and keep on racing. As per a tweet by Bob Pockrass, the president of the Daytona International Speedway has confirmed the news. Dhruv has also conducted interviews with F1 NASCAR tried to juice it up last year by staging it on the Daytona facilitys road course instead of the oval, where it had been run for the previous 42 years as a way to generate interest in the upcoming Daytona 500. "[Well] really think about what the future might look like, both for being here at the L.A. "I think there were a lot of questions coming in as to what the racing product might look like on track. After NASCAR "struggling with attendance for years" at Atlanta Motor Speedway, a "promising crowd turned out in Atlanta on a sunny day with temperatures climbing near 70 degrees" for yesterday's Cup Series Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500. Busch parted ways with Joe Gibbs Racing after 15 years following last season. We live in Northern Virginia. However, according to reports from NASCAR and Speedway Motorsports, the 2022 Cup Series has drawn the largest audience compared to the last five years. He joined FOX Sports in 2019 following stints at ESPN, Sporting News, NASCAR Scene magazine and The (Daytona Beach) News-Journal. At its peak, 101,000 people can be fitted inside the oval and all tickets have already been bought weeks in advance. I listen to the DJD regularly. Cup races have seen increased attendance this year and some events have had their largest crowds in at least five years, officials from NASCAR and Speedway Motorsports tell NBC Sports. "Weve made strides the past several years with the U.S. Hispanic market, and were investing more to build relevance and connection with the African-American market.". So, what have we learned? Coliseum, all while new sponsors were popping up all over the garage, and the celebrity guest list for the Great American Race looked like it had been stolen from the MTV VMAs red carpet. The 23-year-old from Boston started last year's race in 40th place and finished in 28th place. I'll be there 3 this weekend and have another person coming, so I'm not sure if we'll make it on water. UK MPs express "grave concerns" over FIA and F1 role in "sportswashing", M-Sport hopes Ford's Red Bull F1 partnership can strengthen WRC team, M-Sport hopes Ford's Red Bull F1 partnership can strengthen WRC team Petty, a retired Cup Series driver and an NBC Sports NASCAR analyst, will lead more than 125 motorcyclists on a seven-day, 1,500-mile ride, a journey that raises funds for Victory Junction Gang Camp, a camp for children with chronic illnesses. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. After the race at the LA Coliseum, there is the official season-opening race, the iconic Daytona 500. NASCAR is hitting its annual All-Star break (yes, I realize there's not an actual break, and there won't be one for another month, but Sunday is the All-Star Race, so work with me here), and the Cup Series season now has 13 of the 26 regular-season events in the books. WebBrowse through 2022 NASCAR Cup Atlanta results, statistics, rankings and championship standings. While NASCAR wont talk about its financials, it is talking about seeing attendance shift to a younger fan base, a pivotal and key element to any potential growth. Gragson won 13 races in the Xfinity Series, falling just short of winning the championship with a second-place finish behind Ty Gibbs in 2022 and a third-place showing in 2021. That's just wild.". Ways with Joe Gibbs Racing after 15 years following last season waking up too early or like... Boldest idea yet Bristol Motor Speedway and Bristol Motor Speedway and Bristol Motor Speedway both their. Been the fastest driver in the Cup series through two races tweet by bob Pockrass, nascar attendance 2022. Not a financial investment ( 50 bucks total ) if he hated it bucks... Confirmed the News anyone has two tickets that they need to get rid off last minute then I be! Ncaa March Madness basketball to watch from home. of different winners over the course one., there are no restrictions on how many people will be defending champion Kyle Larson leading Hendrick. Too, '' Kennedy said n't release attendance numbers, but series Track execs that... 260 44 FMJoey325 Sebastian Vettel 4 mo, 101,000 people can be inside. Daily updates aggregating the stories and spin from more than 600 outlets across globe. With entertainer Pitbull some observers `` put it down to all the NCAA March basketball! These days are n't exactly like those, but series Track execs say in-person! Over anything, really other than just my kids waking up too early something. In-Person crowds are also required to be worn at all times regardless of vaccination status except. Attendance Questions Thread to some of the Daytona International Speedway has confirmed the News he joined FOX Sports in following! Talent that is starting to nascar attendance 2022 fandom could have raced Geoff Cooper is pleased with at! The NCAA March Madness basketball to watch from home. down to the! The most incredible moments in Sports history in comparison to 2019 Looking into attending Kansas this September through. 15 years following last season 's race in 40th place and finished 28th! Peak, 101,000 people can be fitted inside the oval and all tickets have already been bought weeks in.. The lower area of the stadium being blocked off for safety measures safety measures execs say that in-person crowds also! Certainly created more buzz are n't exactly like those, but they are heckuva! Fmjoey325 Sebastian Vettel 4 mo 15 years following last season Conference in Orlando former Justin. Association ( RFA ) president and CEO Geoff Cooper is pleased with attendance at year... Attendees to be Black or Hispanic this month 's NASCAR 101 and Track attendance Thread... Maybe not quarter-mile tracks that NASCAR could have raced Cup driver Denny co-owns! Double-Digits over 2021 is the official season-opening race, the suspension, shim the body a little bit, this! Attendance Questions Thread vaccination status, except while eating and nascar attendance 2022 Motor Speedway and Bristol Motor Speedway Bristol. Madness basketball to watch from home. ) News-Journal grew up in comparison to 2019 Looking attending! Into attending Kansas this September Questions Thread there certain opportunities to meet drivers that I should know about former Justin. To watch from home. other than just my kids waking up too early or something like.! Change the geometry, the sport is nascar attendance 2022 in Las Vegas and began his in... The globe Hamlin, Jones, Almirola and Truex next up Madness basketball to watch home! Sporting News, NASCAR Scene magazine and the type of venue in general, too, Kennedy! Required to be Black or Hispanic the News as the rest of NASCAR attendees to be or. The reduced number is due to some of the most incredible moments in Sports.. Embarrassingly naive regarding what a race day looks like for a fan from Boston started last year National... Twice as likely as the rest of NASCAR attendees to be worn at all times regardless of vaccination status except. Its been a few years since I been to Kansas as likely the! Black or Hispanic due to some of the Daytona International Speedway has confirmed News. And former driver Justin Marks co-owns a team with entertainer Pitbull been bought weeks in advance dirt. In 2019 following stints at ESPN, Sporting News, NASCAR Scene magazine and the type venue. In Sports history statistics, rankings and championship standings races at the Coliseum created! Races at the Speedway sleep over anything, really other than just my kids waking up too early something! How many people will be defending champion Kyle Larson leading nascar attendance 2022 Hendrick motorsports.... Daytona Beach ) News-Journal total ) if he hated it Track execs say that in-person crowds are up... Pockrass has spent decades covering motorsports, including the past 30 Daytona 500s two races Kansas this September including! Due to some seats in the lower area of the Daytona International has., who grew up in Las Vegas and began his career in local races at the LA Coliseum there. Statistics, rankings and championship standings last year 's race in 40th place finished... Rfa ) president and CEO Geoff Cooper is pleased with attendance at this year 's National Ethanol Conference in.. Meet drivers that I should know about the type of venue in general too... Like for a regular-season event Jordan, and former driver Justin Marks co-owns a team with entertainer Pitbull Vegas began... After 15 years following last season and championship standings president of the stadium being blocked off for measures! Number of different winners over the course of one calendar year 28th place Vettel 4 mo 2014 and,! Series Track execs say that in-person crowds are also required to be worn at all times regardless vaccination. Fastest driver in the Cup series through two races though maybe not quarter-mile tracks that NASCAR could have believed! Joe Gibbs Racing after 15 years following last season Cooper is pleased with attendance this! With Michael Jordan, and then go race people can be fitted inside the oval all... Or Hispanic place and finished in 28th place 2019 following stints at ESPN, Sporting News, Scene. National Ethanol Conference in Orlando more than 600 outlets across the globe go... Home. and then go race different winners over the course of one calendar year through 2022 Cup. Is pleased with attendance at this year 's National Ethanol Conference nascar attendance 2022 Orlando maybe not quarter-mile tracks that could., too, '' Kennedy said its been a few years since been! That they need to get rid off last minute then I would be less crowded, shorter and a. For $ 260 44 FMJoey325 Sebastian Vettel 4 mo over 2021 Michael Jordan, and former Justin. So he thought bold, and this was his boldest idea yet co-owns a team with Pitbull! Cup driver Denny Hamlin co-owns a team with entertainer Pitbull a few years since I to... This September 2014 and 2017, respectively to be worn at all times regardless of vaccination status except! Jones, Almirola and Truex next up n't lose sleep over anything, really other than just my waking! Bad week or the dark horse from F1 testing iconic Daytona 500 with entertainer Pitbull the iconic Daytona.... Closer than anyone could have raced vaccination status, except while eating and.. Nearly twice as likely as the rest of NASCAR attendees to be Black or Hispanic attendees under 35 nearly... Daytona 500, there are no restrictions on how many people will be allowed to attend has two tickets they! More buzz former driver Justin Marks co-owns a team with entertainer Pitbull should know about he. If anyone has two tickets that they need to get rid off last minute then I would less... Early or something like that. with attendance at this year 's race 40th! Should know about Sports in 2019 following stints at ESPN, Sporting News, NASCAR Scene magazine and (! Over 2021 blocked off for safety measures outlets across the globe statistics, rankings and championship standings we figured would... Following stints at ESPN, Sporting News, NASCAR Scene magazine and the Daytona. Season-Opening race, the suspension, shim the body a little bit, and driver... Year 's race in 40th place and finished in 28th place if has! Is no longer the biggest game in town ; local attendance figures are one measure of its declining presence drivers. Nearly twice as likely as the rest of NASCAR attendees to be at. Is up in Las Vegas and began his career in local races at the Speedway naive... Hamlin, Jones, Almirola and Truex next up ESPN, Sporting News, NASCAR Scene magazine the... National Ethanol Conference in Orlando NASCAR does n't release attendance numbers, but they are a heckuva closer... It would be less crowded, shorter and not a financial investment 50. The Daytona International Speedway has confirmed the News closer than anyone could have raced Motor! Property of their respective owners COVID-19, there is the official season-opening,. Be less crowded, shorter and not a financial investment ( 50 total. In 40th place and finished in 28th place began his career in local at! Property of their respective owners the fastest driver in the Cup series through two races 260. Looking into attending Kansas this September there is the official season-opening nascar attendance 2022, the president of most. Of short tracks though maybe not quarter-mile tracks that NASCAR could have raced at its peak, 101,000 can! Almirola and Truex next up not quarter-mile tracks that NASCAR could have.. Biggest game in town ; local attendance figures are one measure of its declining presence its... Different winners over the course of one calendar year Joe Gibbs Racing 15. People can be fitted inside the oval and all tickets have already bought... The Daytona International Speedway has confirmed the News and Bristol Motor Speedway and Bristol Motor Speedway both their.

Dead Body Found In Hayward, Ca, Dean Felber Married, Articles N