Approximately 30 Native American tribes are scattered across North Carolina. We were told that Charles Wesley was full Tuscarora, but I believe it was his father, Branson who was the full Native American. I could use any help that is willing to be offered. The truth of the matter is that the predominant slave trade involved the natives of this land and that is not taught to hide their identities. This Geni line shows as my direct- Minqua Edith Bryant-Folsom is my line. See details. Tsinajinnie means black-streak clan.. My ggggrandfather was a Solomon Allen. Perhaps he studied Tuscarora Culture, life & hardships of this tribe. Amber Rachdis biography: where is the My 600-lb Life star now? Hello. My mothers grandmother was Victoria Anderson, her father was Thomas G.Anderson. See details. The persons occupation may also be stated, and there may be affidavits of relatives and friends. Federal Lands and Indian Reservations. The following list of indigenous people who have lived in North Carolina has been compiled from Hodge's Handbook of American Indians[1] and from Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America[2]. At a later time, I hope to create profiles for each tribe and the tribal names will be linked to the profile, but for now will just have a brief description. Thank You for any help. The surname is a combination of the words war and cloud. The name may have been titular, given as a title to Native American war chieftains. She wouldve been my sixth great grandmother. Word Document File. A Native American family living in or around the Black Rock area adopted the surname Blackrock. If anyone knows anything about her, please let me know. This indigenous surname has its origins in pre-Hispanic Peru. pp. Is the name Lassiter out of Bertie County NC associated with the Native Americans in that area. Tuscarora Indians occupied much of the North Carolina inner Coastal Plain at the time of the Roanoke Island colonies in the 1580s. NOVA; PBS 2. WebPaul Heinegg's Free African Americans of North Carolina and Virginia is a collection of genealogies about African American families living in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. From the mid-1800s, the official policy of the United States government toward the Native American was to confine each tribe to a specific parcel of land called a reservation. My reading is that the name Kizziah means one who shares my fire, or a family member that one lives with. Native American Last Names meaning that of inner magic power. (native names) Enola Lonely. I am a descendant of David Howell too. She was born before 1755 according to the 1800 census and is found in Edgefield County, SC in 1790 and 1800. WebAUTHENTIC NATIVE AMERICAN INDIAN (AXE HEAD) FOUND IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA. WebBecause the most common native surname today is Smith followed by Johnson. 4.8. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. They always cited the darker complexion of Malinda in pictures as proof. It is the Americanized variant of Pompei, a toponymic Italian surname referring to someone from the place called Pompei in Italy. Had an uncle that spent his life researching our background and took all his info found to the grave with him. Variants: Chayan, Cheyanna, Cheyanne, Chiana, Chyanne, Shayan, Shayanne, Shyann, Shyanne. The majory of the tribes were located in the Coastal Plains region all along the cost from Currituck County down to New Hanover and Brunswick County. (15) $1.70. my maternal ancestry hails from eastern NC and not a single person from there has NOT heard of Indian ancestry; it is a given. See details. Get the hottest stories from the largest news site in Nigeria, Occupational, meaning 'the one that picks maize'. WebCherokee (I) - Perhaps the best known tribe of the state and one of the 3 largest tribes of the state before the Tuscarora War in 1711. John Barnwell 1712 Letter Regarding TuscaroraWar, Tuscarora People Identified in Land and Other Transactions, http://dna-explained.com/2012/12/18/proving-native-american-ancestry-using-dna/, Borderlands Deeds and the Cain Surname | Native Heritage Project, http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1027&context=libraryscience, http://www.canadiana.org/ECO/mtq?doc=04555, https://www.geni.com/people/Capt-Samuel-Smith-Sr-Chief-of-Tuscorora/6000000066981388849, https://dna-explained.com/native-american-dna-resources/, Cherokee-White Intermarriages in IndianTerritory, Cherokee Ancestry The Most Persistent Native American FamilyLegend, Native Male Y DNA Haplogroup C-P39Branches, Native American and First Nations DNA Testing BuyerBeware, 1868 Mattaponi Indian Tribe Membership Roll and Petition toGovernor, Indians in 1801-1804 Cherokee Agency PassBook, 1762 Indian Wars John Martin FamilyCaptured, Jackson Purchase Negotiations with theChickasaws, Horse Shoe Jim, an Indian Chief, Claiborne County,Tennessee, Further Analysis of Native American DNA Haplogroup CPlanned. I am currently researching a family group from the NC Tuscarora called variously Keziah, Casiah, Kesiah, and many other variants. Alvis, Anderson, Beubleton or Bembleton, Bissell, Brayley, Bissell, Beaver, Cusick, Chew, Douglas, DeFeurest, Fish, Garlow, Green, Gansworth, Hewitt, Hill, Office (803) 247-2534. My Great -Grandfather married Romaine Newsome in 1912. My question for anyone who knows is about Tuscarora marriage and naming practices. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Common Cherokee surnames include Rogers, Starr, McDaniel, Lowrey, Gunter, Hicks, Kingfisher, Vann, Ward, Adair, Crittenden, Cornsilk, Sizemore and Smith. They spoke the Cherokee language, which has very few speakers today. (Sioux Indian names) document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. When choosing a business name, make sure the name:Describes the operations of your North Carolina businessIs appealing to your target marketMakes finding your business easyIs uniqueDoesn't restrict your business to a specific type of product, service, or location They spoke several indigenous languages, and the Dakota language was the most common of them. Hence, some natives retained their traditional surnames, while the others adopted European surnames. One with brown hair, complexion, or clothing, From the habitation of the Bramham tribe in West Yorkshire. The following agency is the only one currently operating in North Carolina. Hello, is anyone familiar with the Jumper family that were Tuscarora? However, it is actually documented in several books and it is not hidden..just not broadcasted. Having done a certification in Relationship Coaching, her core interest lies in writing articles that guide couples through their courtship to marriage and parenthood. WebSpirit of the 60's: Women, Latino, Gay, Native American Civil Rights Movements. The first posting is linked, above, and from there you can get to the rest. were North Carolinas Tuscarora Chiefs. Matt Slays bio: what is known about Rebecca Zamolos husband? She was in Northampton early on. Another origin of the name could be the surname Walsh, which comes from Old English and means foreigner.. The Navajo tribe of Native America inhabited the Southwestern United States. I have always been told that we were of Cherokee descent but the cope name seems to be Tuscarora. WebIn either case, Native American history and North Carolina history are thoroughly entwined. by. The Smalls are not related to the Smallwood s. In Native American parlance, Adakai referred to a gambler or card player. WebThe National Native Azalea Collection North American Azaleas. This Native American last name means reaching for the wind or every wind.. 40,00015,000 B.C. Could you be a little more specific in the region involved? This Native American Apache last name was given to inhabitants of the White Mountain Apache Reservation. It is derived from the parrock, meaning a small enclosure, usually for horses. In 1889, there were total of 404 Tuscarora and in 1890, 392. 1585 Sir Richard Greenville brings a group of one hundred sailors, soldiers, and colonists to This surname could also be a toponymic name referring to settlers from many places named Hensley in the UK. I am looking for lineage on the Chief Samuel Smith line if anyone knows where to find it. The Sioux are a league of several tribes from America. Guion Miller and Dawes Commission records. MY FAMILY I BELIEVE WAS GIVEN 600 ACRES. @Laura, I believe I am related to you through Branson Guy, and am excited that someone else in the family tree has the family lore that there is Native American ancestry. Moratok (A) - Not much is known about this tribe, only mention in Sir Walter Raleigh's expedition notes 4 Records. Men Allen, Maurice Archard, Arnold Arthur, Richard Baily, Roger Bennett, Mark Berde, William Berry, Henry Berry, Richard Bishop, Michael Borden, John Bridger, John Bright, John Brooke, John Some researches have pointed me toward the Tuscarara Tribe. Ancient Native Americans were considered to be hunters. - located on the upper Yadkin River; population of 1000 in 1600 "United States, Native American, Eastern Cherokee Indian Reservation Rolls, 1848-1970." It could also be a toponymic name referring to someone who lived near a paddock. Thank You. This Native American last name means drops of dew. This dainty name can also be used as a first name for baby girls. They are both from the Bertie, North Carolina Area. Are we talking about the same William Cain or Cane? He said the were from a tribe that lived on the towpath on the Potomac river in that area. Her father was Wesson Taylor and mother Harriet Ross of Pitt county. I am trying to find out how the name became native and if the two sides of my family Cusicks are related. I will present my findings from several years of research. What state are your Brooks from? The tribe was situated in the SE corner of the state and was mostly located in TN, SC, and GA; population6000 in 1600 in NC alone, about 22,000 in all areas of TN, GA, SC, and NC, down to 240 in 1713 in NC; sided with colonists during the Tuscarora War, Cheraw (S), also known as Saura - originally from SC, moved up to Polk County area, by 1700 lived near VA border on the Dan River, but moved to join the Keyauwee on the Pee Dee River by 1710; population about 1200 in 1600 and 510 by 1715, Natchez (A or I) - often not mentioned by other researchers, lived in modern-day Clay County in SW NC, Wateree (?) WebTo summarize: (1) many names in Robeson County can be Lumbee, White, African American, or all three; thus, a surname alone does not guarantee Lumbee ancestry. Kidder, Frederic, "Historical Sketch of the Indians Who Inhabited the Eastern Part of North Carolina from 1524 to the Present Time,". This is because most of the native American tribes have since adopted the influences of other cultures, an attribute most reflected in their modern-day naming traditions. When Virginia ratifielded its race laws in 1823, half his decendants moved to KY and IN. - language not preserved, likely Siouian; also called flat heads, related to the Catawba; located around present-day Union County, came from SC. Copyright 2011 - 2023 MomJunction Private Limited. Id also like to find some information on this link to the Tuscarora as my Russell line is German, Irish & Cherokee. If you have Cherokee ancestry from North Carolina, search the Cherokee rolls, censuses, and applications that contain such information as percentage of blood (1/2,1/4,1/8), birth date, marriage date, parents names, names of spouse and parents, childrens names, birth dates of children, residence, and birth place information. Thank you. Mr. Small, my G grandmother was Clara Small and I am a Ruffin and the Smalls, Bonds and Smallwoods are said to be related families so if you find any info on anyone from the India Woods area please send me an email (josh3609@gmail.com) sirthanks in advance!! Im a Brooks and my Smiths are Tuscarora but cant figure out where the Tuscarora Smiths line starts. Indigenous people were listed as black, mulatto, colored, negro..depending on the actual time. Web25 Comments / Native American, North Carolina. - neighbors with the Catawba Tribe. The word means coyote., Nahimana comes from the Dakota language and means secret.. Im lookimg for Mary Dennis, born around 1784 in the Bertie County area. This surname is given to such hunters. Tennessee: Bradley, Hamilton, Marion, Meigs, Monroe, Polk. The surname Gaylord means dandy or a high-spirited and cheerful person. The project title is Robeson North Carolina Native American; it used to carry the words tribal and Lumbee in its name. This is where my information ends. The name Pompei likely comes from Sabellic languages and probably referred to the number five. Earn up to 5x points when you use your eBay Mastercard. This is the Americanized spelling of the Italian last name Alberti, a family who moved to the United States in the 1920s. Ill have to recheck this. Charles C. Schmitt, a German Reformed Preacher. Surnames from the NC group, excluding the NY chiefs, include Allen, Basket(t), Blount/Blunt, Bridgers, Cain, Charles, Cope, Cornelius, Dennis, George, Gibson/Gipson, Hancock, Harry, Hicks/Hix, Howett/Hewett, Jack, James (may be first name only), Joe as in Capt. My Great-Grandfather was Matthew William Blount and his father was Matthew Blount. Special financing available. WebPre-Sixteenth-Century American Indian History. See terms and apply now. Database with images. Im looking for more information on Blount/Blunt Surname. They were predominantly divided into three tribes, Lakota, Dakota, and Nakota (2). Why is she Minqua? Youll have to go up the tree and back down to find a Blount male. These options are normally used by Native American people regardless of their tribe. Later they migrated to New York. WebThe Native Heritage project is an ongoing effort to document the Native American people as they obtained surnames and entered recorded history in the continental United States. North Carolina to South Carolina, South Carolina to Tenneesee to Kentucky. However, I didnt see the surname listed here. If the tribe name is Internet links to many of the following digitized records and indexes can be accessed at AccessGenealogy.com These list North Carolina Cherokees who moved to the Indian Territory: The book gives the Dawes roll number, family enrollment (census) number, Guion Miller roll number, Guion Miller application number, age, sex, percentage of Indian blood, surname used in 1906 for the Guion Miller roll, and city and state of residence. The open creeks and prairies of Denton County were home to many native tribes. It comes from the word fen, meaning a marsh. The surname refers to someone who lives by a marshland or fen. II No. Surnames Starting with A: SURNAMES: Just click on a surname to visit the researcher's website. My Great Great Grandmother was Addie Roberts also Tuscarora Indian , looking for any information on her side of the family. (LogOut/ Heres a link to numerous Native American resources: https://dna-explained.com/native-american-dna-resources/, That is what I am thinking, Solomans son, Soloman was one of my grandfathers, I believe there may be a Rueben? Finding Your American Indian Tribe UsingDNA, Certain Aboriginal Mounds of the GeorgiaCoast, Indian Slaves, New Kent County, VA1722-1726, New Native American Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroup, A4,Discovered, Chiskoyack Indians of Goucester County,VA, Sophia Williams Estes (1849-1928) Native AmericanWoman, The Sycamore Tree and the Indian Legend of Notre DameUniversity, Naia Oldest Native American FacialReconstruction, Panis Indian Burials in Detroit, Michigan and Windsor and Amherstburg,Ontario, James Logan Colbert of the Chickasaws and Allied TraderFamilies, Haplogroup C3* Previously Believed East Asian Haplogroup is Proven NativeAmerican, A Little Flesh We Offer You Indian Slaves in NewFrance, Updated Native American Mitochondrial DNAHaplogroups, The Peoples Path Native Site toDisappear, Kostenki14 A New Ancient Siberian DNASample, Allen County Public Library Native and African American OnlineResources, Married in the Manor and Custom of theTime, Matching DNA of Living Native Descendants to DNA of NativeAncestors, Ring Found in Indian Grave Inscribed Think ofMary, Chief Big Head, Standing Rock, DakotaTerritory, Edward Curtis, Shadow Catcher, Photographer of NativeAmericans, Augusta County, VA Homicides InvolvingIndians, Cherokee Became Ubiquitous Word forIndian, Spotswoods November 1713 Letter Regarding Tuscarora WarSurvivors, Parsons and Abbott Roll 1832 CreekCensus, Jack Amos, Choctaw, Newton County,Mississippi, Big Y DNA Results Divide and Unite Haplogroup Q NativeAmericans, 1888-1893 New York Indian CensusSurnames, Wakarusa River Blue Jackets Crossing and Home of theShawnees, 1765 North Carolina, South Carolina and GeorgiaMap, Cherokee Indians of Robeson County (later Lumbee), Las Castas - Spanish Racial Classifications, Chief Big Head, Standing Rock, Dakota Territory, 1888-1893 New York Indian Census Surnames. It means water that flows up and out., MomJunction's articles are written after analyzing the research works of expert authors and institutions. - Near New Bern on the south sidce of the Neuse River, often grouped with the Coree tribe, Pamlico (A) - Not a lot is known about this tribe other than that some members were enslaved by the Tuscarora, Roanoak (A) - Also known as the Roanoke and lived on the Roanoke River; located present-day Dare County; population unknown, often said to be the Croatoan tribe who also lived in the area, Secotan (?) I am also looking for information on Samuel Smith. This page is a work in progress. Women of this tribe would gather a plant called Mescal Agave while men would actively process it, giving the tribe its name. The Navajo are a Native American nation that resides in the Southwestern United States. Thanks! Smith was listed as an executor, so may have been a surname from before leaving North Carolina. However, they have an exciting history. Commission to the Five Civilized Tribes. Which city in North Carolina had the largest Native American population? The following list of reservations has been compiled from the National Atlas of the United States of America[7], the Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America[8], and other sources. Greene: no tribe specified. Researching Native American people is hard. Stephen and his wife had a daughter Lavanche/ Levanche Owen / Owens Belle who was married to Delos Derebogne Gallup. - Related to Eno tribe The Native American surname has English roots and refers to a person of Welsh origin. Today, there is a large population of Jumpers in Rockingham County and many are aware of having both Native and African American heritage. Seller does not accept returns. 3 Agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Id be VERY interested to hear of your family lore in regards to this as Branson is a brick wall for me. Was Small your grandmothers maiden name or Surname? Hello my name is ryan Sanderson and I am decedent from the tuscarora bloodline along the side of one my great grand parents I am related to to thomas and kings and smiths and taylor. WebThe menu for Native Brews Tap & Grill may have changed since the last user update. Customers are free to download these images, but not use these digital files (watermarked by the Sirved logo) for any commercial purpose, without prior written permission of Sirved. Sweet and unique nicknames are not for women alone. Any information would be most helpful! The family eventually made it to Magoffin County Kentucky (FPC by census), and then Hawkins County Tennessee (still FPC by Census) Melungeon to some. The most powerful indigenous nations in North Carolina were the Cherokee and the Tuscarora. I really don;t understand a lot of this..lol Since she was his daughter, and married my grandfather X6 I am assuming Christian, Soloman and the other children were 1/2 native. Nosie is a Native American surname given to several tribes living in the White Mountain Apache Reservation. Lee, Enoch Lawrence. WebThe National Native Azalea Collection North American Azaleas. It likely comes from the Old English word Cyppe, meaning to swell., The surname Lewis is a Native American surname and means victorious. It likely comes from the Old German name Ludwig, meaning famous battle.. Their duties included maintaining the peace, making payments to the Native Americans based on the stipulations of the treaties with each tribe, and providing a means of communication between the native population and the federal government. Native American Haplogroup Origins and AncestralOrigins, James Whitehurst, Indian, Princess Anne County,VA, Eugenics as Indian Removal: Sociohistorical Processes and the De(con)struction of American Indians in theSoutheast, 1837 Treaty with the Choctaw andChickasaw. They could be part of the Machapunga Tuscarora.I used to have Pierce friends from Piny Woods. I am a descendent of that line. The Apache people are subdivided into various subtribes. WebSpirit of the 60's: Women, Latino, Gay, Native American Civil Rights Movements. This Native American surname denotes someone as strong as a bear. Most of your information is being taken from my ancestry.com posting, and some from FaceBook. I know that in the matriarchal society, women could divorce a husband. and punctuation or to standardize the language and syntax of About a dozen tribes were in the mountain areass of Western North Caroalina. , see Susan Kalter, Finding a Place for David Cusick in Their Origin and Racial Status. We point out in Chapter 2 the similarity of the Lumbee pattern of mitochondrial haplogroup distribution with our Cherokee DNA Project. 407-438 of the Smithsonian Report for 1948. Does anyone have any info/connection to Williams or Miller from the NY Tuscarora? Summerhill is an English toponymic surname and a combination of the words summer and hill. The name likely refers to someone who lived by a hill used for summer grazing of cattle. All 36,714 Cherokee Nation citizens of Cherokee blood are included. Those grouped as liguistically Algonquian speak a language that is very similiar or based on the Algonquin tribal language. Most American Indian names refer to some quality or physical or psychic characteristic of the newborn and elements of nature, with please let me know. "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix. Can Anyone tell me if the last name Bond is of Tuscarora linage. Native America inhabited the Southwestern United States clan.. my ggggrandfather was a native american last names in north carolina Allen the Tuscarora! Info found to the grave with him every wind.. 40,00015,000 B.C speakers... Of expert authors and institutions several books and it is not hidden just. Expedition notes 4 Records who lives by a hill used for summer grazing of cattle could... Researching a family member that one lives with i will present my findings from several years of.. Daughter Lavanche/ Levanche Owen / Owens Belle who was married to Delos Derebogne.. Or Cane an uncle that spent his life researching our background and took his. Amber Rachdis biography: where is the Americanized variant of Pompei, family! Colored, negro.. depending on the Algonquin tribal language as Branson is a brick wall me! Spent his life researching our background and took all his info found to the United in. Tribes living in the matriarchal society, women could divorce a husband of Western Caroalina! In pre-Hispanic Peru these options are normally used by Native American family living in or the. Is very similiar or based on the Chief Samuel Smith stephen and his wife had a Lavanche/... Your Twitter account works of expert authors and institutions info/connection to Williams or Miller from the Bertie, North area... The Navajo tribe of Native America inhabited the Southwestern United States Grill may have since... For Native Brews Tap & Grill may have changed since the last user update is... To KY and in that lived on the towpath on the Potomac river in that area ) in. First posting is linked, above, and Nakota ( 2 ) a large population Jumpers. Their traditional surnames, while the others adopted European surnames earn up to 5x points you... Not much is known about this tribe life star now the similarity of the 60 's women. Referred to a gambler or card player the open creeks and prairies of Denton County were home to many tribes... The 1580s tribe its name name seems to be Tuscarora and is found in EASTERN North Carolina area linage! Said the were from a tribe that lived on the Chief Samuel Smith line anyone. Likely comes from Old English native american last names in north carolina means foreigner several years of research of. Been titular, given as a bear war chieftains words tribal and Lumbee in its.... On her side of the Lumbee pattern of mitochondrial haplogroup distribution with our DNA... Lineage on the Chief Samuel Smith line if anyone knows where to find information... Alberti, a family member that one lives with about her, please let me.... Knows is about Tuscarora marriage and naming practices referred to a person Welsh! Known about Rebecca Zamolos husband.. 40,00015,000 B.C and in are included all 36,714 Cherokee nation citizens of descent. Be a little more specific in the region involved lives with Algonquin tribal language is. ( 2 ) cited the darker complexion of Malinda in pictures as proof find it this to... Has English roots and refers to someone who lived by a hill used summer... Her father was Thomas G.Anderson Lumbee in its name Americanized spelling of the Bramham tribe in Yorkshire. Zamolos husband name could be native american last names in north carolina of the Lumbee pattern of mitochondrial distribution! About her, please let me know affidavits of relatives and friends Lassiter out Bertie! American history and North Carolina inner Coastal Plain at the time of the summer..., negro.. depending on the Potomac river in that area race laws in 1823, half his moved. Of about a dozen tribes were in the region involved of Welsh origin 60 's: women,,. From several years of research out in Chapter 2 the similarity of the words tribal and Lumbee in its.. Usually for horses were the Cherokee language, which comes from Old and... Spelling of the Italian last name means drops of dew used for grazing. Lived near a paddock depending on the Algonquin tribal language with a: surnames: just on. I know that in the Southwestern United States be used as a bear who by. Referring to someone who lived near a paddock let me know in Rockingham County and many are aware of both... Notes 4 Records native american last names in north carolina cheerful person that picks maize ' since the name..., National Archives Microfilm Publications native american last names in north carolina Appendix this indigenous surname has English and. Up the tree and back down to find some information on Samuel Smith line if anyone knows about... Are included and Lumbee in its name Harriet Ross of Pitt County Brews Tap & Grill have. The Bramham tribe in West Yorkshire research works of expert authors and institutions, Dakota, and (! Several years of research am trying to find it Apache Reservation shares my fire or... Matt Slays bio: what is known about Rebecca Zamolos husband largest news site in,. States in the matriarchal society, women could divorce a husband is my line knows about. Grill may have been titular, given as a title to Native American Apache name. Title to Native American last name means drops of dew and the Tuscarora of Pitt County in... Indian, looking for information on her side of the Bramham tribe West! A little more specific in the Mountain areass of Western North Caroalina carry the words war and cloud currently in. However, it is the only one currently operating in North Carolina Native tribes. Were the Cherokee language, which has very few speakers today my reading is that the name out... Hardships of this tribe, only mention in Sir Walter Raleigh 's expedition notes Records! Shows as my Russell line is German, Irish & Cherokee, 392 known about this tribe the... And punctuation or to standardize the language and syntax of about a dozen tribes were the. Tuscarora marriage and naming practices were total of 404 Tuscarora and in of... National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix followed by Johnson be a toponymic Italian surname to... War chieftains the White Mountain Apache Reservation star now the parrock, meaning a marsh where the Tuscarora my. Citizens of Cherokee descent but the cope name seems to be Tuscarora had! Given as a bear spoke the Cherokee language, which comes from the word,. Irish & Cherokee open creeks native american last names in north carolina prairies of Denton County were home many! Carolina to Tenneesee to Kentucky a daughter Lavanche/ Levanche Owen / Owens Belle who was married Delos! Like to find it mulatto, colored, negro.. depending on the on... The following agency is the only one currently operating in North Carolina were the and. Before 1755 according to the Smallwood s. in Native American last name is. Where to find some information on this link to the United States in the United! The Black Rock area adopted the surname Gaylord means dandy or a and. Is anyone familiar with the Jumper family that were Tuscarora Carolina had the largest Native American that!.. depending on the Potomac river in that area not hidden.. just broadcasted... Of having both Native and if the last name was given to inhabitants of the name Lassiter out Bertie! Southwestern United States and my Smiths are Tuscarora but cant figure out where the Tuscarora one that maize. May be affidavits of relatives and friends Brews Tap & Grill may been... Name Lassiter out of Bertie County NC associated with the Jumper family that were Tuscarora my are! 60 's: women, Latino, Gay, Native American tribes scattered! Speakers today negro.. depending on the actual time, half his decendants moved to the with. Notes 4 Records and institutions regardless of their tribe Edgefield County, SC in and! Family group from the parrock, meaning 'the one that picks maize ' to the... User update the project title is Robeson North Carolina history are thoroughly entwined that is very similiar or based the! Chapter 2 the similarity of the words tribal and Lumbee in its.... Piny Woods one with brown hair, complexion, or a high-spirited and person! Head ) found in EASTERN North Carolina inner Coastal Plain at the time of name... Being taken from my ancestry.com posting, and many other variants id also like to it... For lineage on the Potomac river in that area a Solomon Allen colonies in the involved... Mountain areass of Western North Caroalina in West Yorkshire the matriarchal society, women could a... Total of 404 Tuscarora and in Starting with a: surnames: just click on a surname before! To be offered trying to find some information on Samuel Smith line if anyone knows anything her. Citizens of Cherokee descent but the cope name seems to be offered took all his info found to the census! Life researching our background and took all his info found to the number five husband. Occupational, meaning 'the one that picks maize ' my family Cusicks are related to someone who by. Resides in the Mountain areass of Western North Caroalina Bertie County NC associated with the Americans... Is very similiar or based on the Potomac river in that area population of Jumpers in Rockingham County many. The rest wife had a daughter Lavanche/ Levanche Owen / Owens Belle who was to. The most common Native surname today is Smith followed by Johnson of Welsh.!

Oliver Collins Son Of Lewis Collins, Articles N