We should be arriving in Nice on the 26th of June. Our longest beach day was in. This 10-day French vacation takes you to Paris, Aix-en-Provence, and Nice to sample French food and wine and enjoy its cultural delights. Have dinner back in Avignon (sleep in Avignon), Day 8: Vaison-la-Romaine. . Take the train or bus to nearby Villefranche-sur-Mer, explore, and have lunch. Enjoy the views out to Cap Ferrat, your destination for later today. Theres no better place to close out your south of France itinerary than soaking up the sun along the French Riviera. Pick up your rental car as early as possible in Nice. Definitely stroll down Cours Mirabeau. Take a minivan tour of the wine road, bike to Sguret and Gigondas, or hike to Le Crestet for lunch (taxi back) (sleep in Vaison-la-Romaine), Day 10: Orange and Arles. We explored the most stunning villages, tasted the recipes of some of the finest restaurants, including ones topping the Michelin star list, perused the local markets for goods to bring back home, and took countless pictures of the brightly colored surroundings that inspired us. Another tip we wish we were aware of before traveling, is to bring along swimsuits, cover ups, and towels in your travel bag. Larger yachts will be anchored farther out in the deeper waters.For a scenic stroll, walk along the Promenade Maurice Rouvier to Beaulieu-sur-Mer. Avignon is a beautiful town and I think this would be a great home base for exploring Provence. From there, you can reach the southern coast (we highly recommend Cassis in the surrounding area) on a day trip, as well as the Valensole Plateau, Avignon, Aix en Provence, etc. Check rates & book your stay at La Maison dAix! Follow my guidebook's Avignon walks this afternoon and enjoy dinner on one of Avignon's many atmospheric squares (sleep in Avignon), Day 7: Day Trip to Nmes and Pont du Gard. Each season brings with it a reason to visit the south of France! Dont care. Make an account for full access to the products Julia owns and is most excited about. Hi Ellen! From here you can uber back to Nice. Free shipping for many products! My husband and I are fully vaxed and cant wait to start travelling overseas again! . Spend most of your day in Arles, then drive to Les Baux for late afternoon sightseeing and dinner (sleep in Arles), Day 12: Aix-en-Provence or Marseille. I loved discovering your site! Home to everything from sprawling lavender fields to hilltop towns to fishing villages to the sparkling Mediterranean Sea, its no wonder that traveling through Provence and the French Riviera is a dream trip for manyand this south of France itinerary makes it easy to enjoy the perfect trip. And sure, there isnt lavender, but you do get to enjoy wisteria, which is the next-best thing! The French Riviera gets insanely crowded in July and August so it is better to avoid traveling here during these months. Read all of our articles in our France Travel Guide. This is such a great guide! The hotel is known for its impeccable location, and you cant go wrong staying here on your south of France trip! . Why go to Arles? After you get your fill of snapping photos, head to the Verdon Gorge, home to cascading cliffs, turquoise water, the nearby Lake of Sainte-Croix, some incredible hiking, andagain for summer visitors specificallyexcellent kayaking and rafting. Provence & the French Riviera 8 days France Max 18 Passengers Overview Itinerary Inclusions URL Overview Glamour, picturesque villages and stunning mountain scenery: this tour through the French Riviera and Provence is sure to impress with its diversity and dramatic beauty! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Be prepared to give yourself a few hours here its a wonderful experience. Weve been thinking of perhaps hiring a van and driver. South of France Itinerary: 10 Days in the French Riviera & Provence South of France Itinerary: 10 Days in the French Riviera & Provence By: Woodrow Matthews Last updated: February 15, 2023 France As much as I love to travel around France and see the rest of Europe, there is nothing quite like coming back to my home on the French Riviera. From Vence, it is a two hour drive along highway A8 to Marseille. That being said, it certainly doesnt need to be your only destination along the French Riviera! We had the best time experiencing Provence this way and feeling like locals for a week at the rental house in St. Saturnin Les Apt. Im not sure if youre planning inland at all, but the Verdon Gorge is incredible and is a couple of hours from Cannes. Mint in the town of Arles there is another amphitheater. Eze is beautiful and we had a lot of fun wandering through this small town. Of course, if all you want to do with the final days of your south of France vacation is lay on Nices famous beach, we certainly cant blame you for that! That being said, we highly recommend basing yourselves at least once in a smaller village, Alternatively, check the prices of flights to Geneva (on one of our trips to France, we flew into Geneva, spent a few days in the delightful city of. Any input or advice would be so appreciated. Delicious!! Ah, the Luberon Valley: this is the area that tends to come to mind immediately when someone says the word Provence. While youre in and around Cassis, be sure to also check out to picture-perfect Port de Cassis, visit the (extremely accessible) Calanque de Port Miou, and admire the views from the Cap Canaille. End your day in Cassis and watch the sun set from the old port while you savor a bouillabaisse dinner (sleep in Cassis), Day 13: Cassis. Check rates & book your stay at Sjours & Affaires Aix-en-Provence Mirabeau! French Riviera has everything for a memorable summer escape: the turquoise water and exquisite beaches, the picturesque seaside towns, the endless lavender fields are only a few of the things . Spend your first day in Nice and then drive to Monaco to your hotel. Someone suggested Avignon, but wondered if outside the city would be better. Today, along with my husband Jeremy and dog Ranger, Im working toward my eventual goal of splitting my life between Europe and the USA. This was the place of the papal residency in the 14th century. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If so, can you recommend a particular town or inn? They are easy to drive and give travelers a much different perspective of the French Riviera than from the shoreline. Provence and the Cte d'Azur are made for explorers. By Rick Steves and Steve Smith So much to see, so little time. In theory, theres supposed to be more news from the EU on this front June 7, but well see! A Week in France: The Riviera, Provence & Paris 9 days | 12 days with Normandy & Paris extension Group size 15-38 travelers Reviews 113 See dates & prices Overview Itinerary Reviews Traveler photos Hotels, flights & FAQ Fully Refundable Booking Period Feel good about booking your tour today. Based in Nice for 4 nights and Luberon for 5night. We also have guides to the towns on the Alsace Wine Route and how to spend one perfect day in Colmar. Let us know in the comment section below! Enjoy market day this morning, then take a train to Avignon. Boutique Htel Neptune Nice This small hotel in central Nice is perfect for travelers hoping to stay (somewhatNice is pricey!) Anecdotally, borders just officially opened between all Spanish regions for Spanish residents and citizens this week, and France is experiencing a notoriously long and expansive list of restrictions. Maybe, but Id bank on a contingency plan or two. It is one of the toughest climbs in the race (and Europe), twelve miles of non-stop climbing to get to the top. If you have significantly more time than the south of France itinerary outlined here suggests, we would recommend doing one of two things. Unlike many other places, though, traveling during the high (read: summer) season here comes with enough advantages that unless youre entirely allergic to crowds and high prices, Id recommend planning your trip then. Though Ive noted you can see the major sites of the area in one day here, like in the Alpilles, photographers and/or outdoor enthusiasts will probably want to spend at least a couple of days here if at all possible. Its definitely one of my favorite and probably one of the most scenic spots in all of Provence. It also happens to be one of our favorite corners of France and one that we love to visit repeatedly! It is out first time in Cote d'azur. Le Dortoir Featuring near-perfect reviews and a crisp, bright interior, Le Dortoir is an excellent option for visitors to Nice who want to enjoy a spacious hotel room without Nices top-end luxury prices. Also, wear closed-toed shoes when exploring hilltops. We love the south of France in the spring, and would happily visit in the spring again. I am having a hard time deciding where to go. We can get another Airbnb or a hotel. If you also want to see Nice and the immediate surrounding area, youd want to move into different lodging for that. You can lounge on the beach, sip fancy drinks inside the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, or dine on one of several restaurants on docks perched over the ocean. We hope that our Provence and French Riviera Travel Itinerary serves as an inspirational guide to your own French road trip. , was near Nice (about a 30 min. The bulk of this recommended south of France itinerary takes place in what is colloquially known as Provence (the southern and western part of the region). We kept driving by these beautiful fields, and we eventually decided we couldnt pass up the. Hello Kate, Ive really enjoyed reading your blog posts about all your wonderful travels. in Bonnieux. Dijon is another great option, though I havent had a chance to visit yet. We also considered staying in Provence for a few days too. former home of Van Gogh and a bit of an artistic enclave. Stroll down picturesque, tree-lined boulevards in Aix before heading to the coast, where the Mediterranean traces your route from Cassis to Cinque Terre. Some links throughout this site are affiliate links. Alternatively, if you drive down, you could add a day in the Loire Valley (a bit out of the way but beautiful) or even a lesser-visited city like Dijon. . We have rented a car from Denise airport and our hotel is in Monte Carlo. Day 1: Arrive in Nice Day 2: Villefranche-sur-Mer and Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Day 3: Monaco Day 4: Antibes and Cannes Day 5: Drive to Marseille Day 6: Marseille, Aix-en-Provence, Avignon Day 7: Mont Ventoux, Rhone wine region Day 8: Explore Provence Your journey continues along the coast of the French Riviera. I am meeting my daughter in Paris and plan to travel via train to Nice and hit some of your highlighted spots in reverse. , a wonderful Michelin star restaurant located near Lourmarin. Arrive early to explore this medieval village and its evocative ruins, as large groups of tourists can soon overrun the place. We just dont want to do a river cruise or a tour group really. From Les Baux it is a very short and very scenic drive north to Saint-Remy-de-Provence. I know it is not the best time of year, but excited to go anyway. We were in the French Riviera and Provence in May, had great weather, and were able to visit the Cannes Film Festival and drive the Monaco Grand Prix race course. Love your travels. Sample some of France's best-known wine appellations at Chteauneuf-du-Pape. I am wondering if you have a 1 week dont miss version and anyway to print your itineraries. Hotel Negresco If youve seen photos of the French Riviera, theres a good chance youve seen photos of the iconic Hotel Negresco, with its tiled dome and bright white facade. We had never witnessed such incredible hydrangeas and bougainvillea. My husband and I are looking at going to southern France for six days in June 2023. In Nice, we stayed at Hotel Suisse. Best French Riviera Itinerary in 5 Days To get the best of the French Riviera let's dive into the perfect itinerary! Despite our early arrival (we were probably 3 weeks early from peak bloom and vibrancy), some of the fields we found were already impressive spectacles and the scents of lavender and buzzing of bees were just as impressive. If the weather's good, bring your swimsuit and float on your back for views of the 2,000-year-old aqueduct (sleep in Avignon), Day 10: The Camargue. To read about how to rent bikes and cycle up Mont Ventoux, read our post Cycling Mont Ventoux. How to choose? I went to Cannes as a child with my family but obviously this trip will be different. As an Amazon Associate, Our Escape Clause earns from qualifying purchases. Called Rgion Sud or PACA, Southern France includes Provence, French Alps and Cte d'Azur. Unfortunately, I dont, but off the top of my head, Id consider maybe Paris Luberon Valley Paris. Mainly wanted to see cute small towns & pretty scenery, not into the big cities for this trip. ), etc, we cant recommend the Luberon Valley more highly. From Avignon, drive one hour east to the beautiful town of Roussillon in the Luberon Valley. If you have time, also consider ducking into one of the other beautiful art museums in the city. Make your way from the seaside in Provence to the rolling hills of Tuscany, taking in some of France and Italy's most striking vistas as you go. Take the train or bus to nearby Villefranche-sur-Mer, explore, and have lunch. For dinner, go to Old Nice (Vieux Nice), a scenic part of town with narrow streets, colorful buildings, and lots of cafes to choose from. Hope you guys have a fantastic trip! Antibes is another great option for a base in the area, and of course trips to places like Menton, Eze, and Monaco are all fabulous ways to spend a day. Stroll along the coastline of Antibes, visit the Picasso Museum, and, if you are interested, visit the Absinthe Museum. Both towns are absolutely lovely, but in our biased opinion, we do think that Saint-Rmy-de-Provence is, e do recognize that the views from Les Baux-de-Provence themselves are top-notch, hether you want to go for a hike or simply take a boat tour past the beautiful calanques, visiting this stunning part of the French coastline is a must, he Valensole Plateau is the iconic home to those never-ending lavender fields pictured on tourism brochures around the world, Though Ive noted you can see the major sites of the area in one day here, like in the Alpilles, photographers and/or outdoor enthusiasts will probably want to spend at least a couple of days here if at all possible, I cant resist adding a day here to this suggested, Come here for a delightful combination of all the things that makes the south of France so charming. Highlights like Saint-Tropez, Cannes, and Antibes would be a great place to start, but there are endless gorgeous small towns and rural beaches to choose from in the region. LEARN MORE: A Brief Tour through the Provencal Wine Region, Pont du Gard, Les Baux, St. Remy, and more. Youll then be able to find it under the Maps tab of your Google Maps account! was one of our favorite from the entire trip. Take the train from Nice to Antibes, a journey that takes about 20 minutes (visit the Trainline Europe website). From the sparkling skyline of Paris to the fabulous landscapes of the French Riviera, your 11-day tour through France will allow you to create unforgettable memories within breathtaking sceneries. I wish we knew! Check your email for a confirmation message. The Pont du Gard is the highest of all Roman aqueducts and built without mortar. If you like the idea of taking a walking tour of Nice, here are several ideas. , a small bed and breakfast in the Alpes-Maritimes. If youre not interested in seeing Paris on this trip, Id definitely recommend checking flights to Nice as well, as that will save you time. We are doing the River Rhine cruise and decided to visit southern France after the cruise. Sure, the Luberon Valley also has stunning fields, and theyre definitely worth seeingbut in Valensole, be ready to pull your car over nearly constantly, because every field seems to be more gorgeous than the last. , We havent stayed in La Ciotat, but it looks darling (its reputation is for being a bit quieter, which can make a nice base) and is fairly close to Cassis, which we love: https://www.ourescapeclause.com/things-to-do-in-cassis-france/. This is a small town and it does not take long to walk all of it. After lunch, take another uber or taxi to Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild located on Cap Ferrat. Thanks and much Appreciated for your help! Sadly I dont have a printable version of our itineraries yet, but I hope to create them in the future! stretch as far as the eyes can see, hillside towns and villages boast an uninterrupted charm, rocky beaches bring feelings of tranquility, and quaint farmhouses offer simple, yet stunning beauty. Parking is at the bottom of the village and a good 15 minute walk. The sun-drenched regions are blessed with charming towns, diverse natural beauty, vibrant markets, and endless Mediterranean coastline. Weve structured this South of France itinerary with the assumption that youll be spending roughly 2 weeks in the region, and the number of days noted by each city is the minimum number of full days that we recommend spending in each spot. The wonderful thing about coming to Provence in June is that it isnt unbearably hot just yet (a nice mix of 75-90 degree weather) and the days are long. This is a popular tourist attraction so expect large crowds of people. Obviously not enough time to see both in detail, but thought we could get a basic overview & know if there was somewhere we want to return with more time. France sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate both. Along the way, you have the option to make a detour to St. Tropez, if you so desire. ), Paris Bucket List: 50 Fun Attractions + Things to Do in Paris, How to Plan an Epic 2 Week Europe Trip (+ Europe Itinerary Ideas! So helpful! We were thinking of flying in to Paris (assuming cheapest, easiest), only staying1-2 night there. , a gorgeous pink villa from the early 1900s. ), 25+ Magical Things to Do in Montmartre, Paris (+ Map & Tips!). Spend the day exploring the town, hitting up the impressive Papal Palace, the Pont dAvignon, and the Les Halles Market in between wandering the streets and marveling that youre finally in southern France! Yes, that would absolutely be possible, and in fact is a great way to see the area. With 18 days you have some flexibility. Youll want one base there, and the one base on the coast. see our FAQ. If you are here on a Wednesday or Saturday, you can go shopping at the market, which is amazing. So much to see, so little time. Other favorites include Lacoste for its picturesque views, Menerbes for its delightful charm (if you ever read A Year in Provence, this is the town! As a silver lining, if the lavender is gone some of the crowds will disperse also. Consider having a home base rental home on your trip instead of, spending time checking in and out of hotels. Second question, it sounds like we may miss the lavender fields in bloom! French Riviera & Provence Itinerary. The Essential Road Trip Itinerary for the French Riviera and Aix-en-Provence By Christina Liao May 2, 2018 The French Riviera is renowned for its sensational beauty and alluring. Take a minivan tour or a taxi (or, in summer, a bus) to Les Baux and have breakfast with a view. From the Pont du Gard drive 40 minutes south to Arles. Travel Insurance We dont ever suggest traveling without insuranceanything can happen anywhere, and this is definitely a case of better safe than sorry. I wish I could offer some 2020 specific advice, but everything has been developing and changing so quickly that its hard to predict from one day to the next! If your group is comfortable with it, Id look into potentially taking a train from Paris to Aix-en-Provence or Avignon and then hiring a driver for the Provence portion. Your itinerary will leave you tired at the end, but its definitely realistic. Take a joyride through the Camargue (but if it's summer, when flamingos are scarce and mosquitoes aren't, skip it and visit Les Baux instead). We typically find and save on the map way more than we can possibly visit in a single trip. We didnt realize it ahead of time, but its a completely gluten free restaurant. Getting Around During Your Trip to Southern France. End your day with gelato from Fenocchio Glacier in Old Nice. Take a morning bus back to Orange (bag check available near the train station), visit the Roman theater, then hop a train to Arles and explore the city in the afternoon (sleep in Arles; big Saturday morning market), Day 11: Les Baux and Arles. ALSACE WINE REGION: Learn how to plan your visit in our 3 Day Alsace Wine Region itinerary. We spent the morning at the beach, explored the colorful town and then had a wonderful lunch on the shores of the water. Visit Nmes (Roman amphitheater) in the morning and the Pont du Gard in the afternoon. With more time in southern France, you cant go wrong with spending a lot more time along the French Riviera, especially if youre visiting during the high season. And, whether you want to go for a hike or simply take a boat tour past the beautiful calanques, visiting this stunning part of the French coastline is a must! Spend your day sampling hill towns in the Luberon taste a village market, then drive over the hills to the valley of the Ctes du Rhne. Planning a trip to France? If youre only planning on visiting the city of Bordeaux, you may want to consider taking the fast train from Paris to Bordeaux and then from Bordeaux to Montpellier to speed things up, and then only rent a car in the southeast. : Compared to the countryside of Provence where we spent most of our time on country roads, there are numerous toll roads along the French Riviera, and they are pretty much unavoidable; therefore, make sure you have plenty of Euro coins in your car. Rooms are small, but customer service is wonderful! Be sure to at least make time for a quick stroll along the Promenade des Anglais, admiring the view from Castle Hill, and lunch spent diving into a plate of Nicoise salad. Youll be so glad you brought a Swiss Army Knife along for your south of France vacation! While we were in the French Riviera, we saw so many yachts we almost get used to it. Splitting 2 weeks up between Provence and Barcelona (a little of each) thx. Last, how many days would you choose for France & how many for Sicily? I know Aix-en-Provence and Avignon are supposed to have lovely ones, and Im sure the smaller cities and towns will have plenty too. Itd be a busy itinerary, but the Luberon Valley has a high concentration of darling Provencal villages so you can see several in quick succession. Take a bus to Vaison-la-Romaine or ride a morning train to Orange (frequent departures), then connect to a less frequent bus to Vaison-la-Romaine, then explore the town's upper medieval village and lower Roman city in the afternoon (sleep in Vaison-la-Romaine; market day is Tuesday, so a Monday arrival is ideal), Day 9: Ctes du Rhne Villages. Several questions. is probably the most striking and most famous, but these other towns were some of our favorites as well: At the end of the day after exploring the. you could ever want. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for PROVENCE & THE FRENCH RIVIERA FOR TRAVELERS. ), 19 Sun-Soaked Summer Destinations in Europe, French Breakfast Guide: How to Enjoy Breakfast in France, 19 Best Things to Do in Strasbourg, France, The Many Charms of Cassis, France: Things to Do + Guide, The Ultimate Packing List for Europe: Summer Edition, The Ultimate Europe Bucket List: 75 Fun Things to Do in Europe, Sublime Saint-Emilion, France: Things to Do + Travel Guide, Paris in August is Actually Pretty Wonderful, One Day in Paris: How to See Paris in a Day, 35 Best Cities to Visit in Europe (Bucket List for City Lovers! in Valensole. Tour little Crestet and take a walk above Gigondas (sleep in or near Vaison-la-Romaine), Day 8: Orange and Chteauneuf-du-Pape. The information is easily discoverable. Hello, What a great source of information-so very helpful in planning our trip which begins in Avignon on July 31. In 5 Days: Pick One Region - Provence or the French Riviera Pont d'Avignon Provence A perfect cocktail of history, culture, and wine-tasting, plus sunset by the sea Combine the top towns, from Aix-en-Provence and Avignon to Marseilles Add a Rhne Valley wine tour, including renowned Chteauneuf du Pape After lunch, catch the train from Nice to Monaco, a journey that takes about 20 minutes (for more information on the trains to Monaco, visit the Trainline Europe website). You have now given me a starting point in planning my trip! Provence, anyway, other than an endless collection of photos of blooming lavender fields? Do you have any 2020 specific tips or anything you think might be closed or different? If the weather's good, bring your swimsuit and float on your back for views of the 2,000-year-old aqueduct. Republishing this article and/or any of its contents (text, photography, etc. Theyre not particularly charming, and the vibe is very could be a modern hotel anywhere in the world, but they absolutely get the job done for a budget or even mid-range traveler visiting Aix-en-Provence. Rolling hills, vineyards, tiny French townsjust breathtaking! Ellen. In other words, when you pull into town at 7:00 PM, that doesnt count as a day in the destination on this suggested route.

Cerner Oracle Latest News, Carrons Funeral Home Obituaries, Articles P