Hed be hollering at me at every possible moment and Id be smiling back as I rode away from him., Horton added, Toward the end of the third season, I decided to use my own horse on the show. They ended up in San Francisco where Seth, Bill, and Charlie were shanghaied. This episode is also one of several from 1962 that highlight the stark difference between the character of Chris Hale and his predecessor Major Seth Adams. Miller did guest spots on a number of television series, such as Northwest Passage and Overland Trail. brand in the wake of all its personnel turmoil. He was one of my boyhood heroes when he played Flint McCullough in Wagon Train. Distractify is a registered trademark. Wagon Train, a fusion of the popular Western genre and the weekly star vehicle, premiered on Wednesday nights, 7:30-8:30 P.M. in September 1957 on NBC.The show took its initial inspiration from John Ford's 1950 film, The Wagonmaster.NBC and Revue productions, an MCA unit for producing telefilms, conceived of the program as a unique entry into the growing stable of Western genre telefilm . Billed on Wagon Train as Scott Miller but better known to fans as Denny Miller, the former UCLA basketball star played Duke. Standing behind them from left are John. The most powerful episode I have seen so far is S4 E19 The Prairie Story. figure in "The Jim Bridger Story" (May 10, 1961) when Bridger is He wished to work more in musical theater. and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. In his new role as Bond's replacement, McIntire In his senior year, while working as a furniture mover to pay for school, Denny was discovered on Sunset Boulevard by a talent agent, who signed him with MGM. Very Close to being sycophants, especially Terry., Horton told writer James Rosin, Once I was cast in the role I wrote a biographical sketch of Flint McCullough so the writers would not have a different point of view about me every time they wrote a script. Michael Burns (1947 ) 51 episodes (1960-65). The wagon master and his men lead the wagon train and its passengers through hostile country, still allowing for plenty of action, but with solid stories and a better than average budget it was never difficult for producers to attract top name guest stars. On the first episode of wagon train Bill Hawks and his wife were going to California. Such a structure allowed the scriptwriters to not totally rely on the regular cast but ensured them a wide scope for stories which, more often than not, revolved around the guest star characters. - Wild Wild West Bill Hawks and Duke Shannon later find her in a western hamlet - the richest and most hated person there. A few years ago I became bored with (modern) TV shows. - Here Come the Brides He and John Wayne were USC room-mates as young men and it was the Duke who convinced him to go into acting. After watching, I wondered if the mood and what appeared to be an honest attempt to show the pain and suffering wasnt somehow brought on by the unexpected death of Ward Bond. Why did Robert Fuller leave wagon train? He was always a class act. The two were true cowboys.After a unfathomably successful film career, Bond settled into television on the popular Western series Wagon Train. When Hawks finds out about this, he rides out after the two men, along with Shannon's grandson Duke. Denny Miller was born in Bloomington, Indiana, where his father, Ben Miller, was a physical education instructor at Indiana University. Utter rubbish. What is certain, NBC did not want to lose the #1 show on television and in retaliation and an obvious effort to stifle Wagon Train ratings on competing ABC, developed The Virginian, network TVs first 90 minute Western. Our adventure starts at the end of 'The Sam Spicer Story'. country from Missouri to California each season, they never seem to get I was only a kid then but I simply cannot recall the train ever arriving at its destination in those early years. - Cades County In Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), he was in the male chorus line and danced with Marilyn Monroe. And yes, he was great but so was McIntire. The other survivor is Robert Fuller, but more of them both later. I actually watched that episode yesterday, unaware until todays research that he must have struck a chord with the producers, for he would continue in the series for another 50 episodes. One of the good guys. Each season covers a trek from St Joe or St Louis to California/Oregon. In Wagon Train, he played wagon master Major Seth Adams from 1957 until his death in 1960. The Duke Shannon Story. - Daniel Boone (Disney) have also trailed the elder Shannon and Wooster to the mine, and after finding He and his brother, Kent, began playing basketball almost from the day they were born. However, ABC disastrously abandoned the series six year Wednesday night home and moved to Monday night from 8:30 to 10. - Two Faces West - The Cisco Kid his burnt homestead's porch after Indians massacred his family while he was - Custer Unless the information is volunteered I am usually left assuming. I am currently watching Season 4 on ME TV, and my wife and I are huge fans. It ran for eight seasons, with the first episode airing in the United States on September 18, 1957 () and the final episode on May 2, 1965 (). Montana where his lawyer father told him tales of the many Native American What is particularly interesting is the fact the show cracked its top position after the series suffered a crippling setback, the death of Ward Bond on November 5, 1960. Families, presented with a viewing choice, chose the comedies and Wagon Train quietly slid out of the Top 30. He became the first blond Tarzan in Tarzan, the Ape Man (1959)), a low-budget quickie that lifted most of its footage from earlier Johnny Weissmuller movies. Interestingly, the actress who appeared as Emily Hawks later appeared on Wagon Train in another role entirely. Alan, I grew up on Wagon Train and still enjoy the reruns at my current age of 72! And while were sharing tales about those days I was a photographer, late 60s, of numerous celebrities, once spending several days with Sammy Davis in Reno. Im 42 & I have never been much of a TV buff, but I watched. When Ward Bond repeats were broadcast under the title Trailmaster on weekday afternoons on ABC beginning in 63 a new series theme was developed by Stanley Wilson. Story" (May 31, 1961) in which Hale's wife Janet (played by McIntire's herculoids gloop and gleep sounds From 1957 until 1965 the prairie schooners of TVs Wagon Train series rolled over 284 episodes. Irene Windust subsequently played the character of Charity Harris on the third season of the Western, and she got killed by arrows while traveling home. Bond died of a heart attack on the fourth season of 'Wagon Train. Barney and Bill time, with some of the new gang. They were given full-ride scholarships to UCLA. Wagon Train is an American semi-anthology Western series following the journeys of a wagon train as it leaves Saint Joseph, Missouri on its way to California through the plains, deserts, and Rocky Mountains.Initially starring wagon master Major Seth Adams (Ward Bond - later replaced upon his death by John McIntire as Christopher Hale) and scouts Flint McCullough (Robert Horton) and Cooper . He is outfoxed by Duke, played by Denny Miller, but redeems himself by aiding a dying woman. Robert Horton (1924-2016) 189 episodes (1957-65) Barbara Ruick. - Cheyenne - Archives, Do You Remember? . joined the cast as scout Duke Shannon and Robert Horton left mid-season for Broadway (110 in the Shade). I knew that character cold. - The Outcasts - The Monroes Just checked out your site, glad I found it. He never was a rodeo rider, but did personal appearances at rodeos as you correctly observed where he showed off his excellent horsemanship and shooting skills. This week I have been watching the Beth Pearson Story also, looking for any visible indications of issues with Ward Bonds health. Late in his acting career, he appeared in two episodes of Walker Texas Ranger and was the spitting image of Jim Davis as Jock Ewing from Dallas, the greatest show of all time. - Cimarron City, Heavies and Characters His three marriages included one to the delightful Barbara Ruick. - Frontier Doctor However, very early on I became aware we really didnt have much in common. During his career Bond appeared in no fewer than 26 John Ford films! - Yancy Derringer - Iron Horse Once the tension is eased, Bridger and McCullough are He was such a gentleman and so sweet to everybody, so easy to work withvery professional, always knew his lines, everybody liked him, the crew, the cast, easy to get along with. That underlying current of two very contrasting individuals gave the show a spark. I brought him down from Idaho in 58.. He appeared on early-'60s TV Westerns including Laramie, Have Gun Will Travel and The Rifleman before landing a regular role on the popular Wagon Train in 1961. Also following the old men are three men who hope to grab the gold for themselves. What can I say? Fuller was the best cowboy actor during the 1950s-60s because of the little things he did such as how to handle a horse and gun. But to get there they would have to make the hardest trip of their lives and to succeed they would need strong, knowledgeable people to led the way. up is doomed. Mine is an educated man, more philosophic, less a disciplinarian, gentler but not soft., Both McGrath and Wilson were close friends of Bond. ward bond played in its a most wonderful life christmas movie. Cancer. Suddenly, Wagon Trains hour-long black and white episodes looked somewhat paltry next to the expansive full color outdoor Western which felt more like a movie than a TV episode. Denny (Scott) Miller (left) There is a scene in Laramie (forget the episode) where his handling of a gun is perfect and you can tell it was muscle memory not acting. prompted this assignment or what has happened to Adams). He graduated high school in John McIntire was brought in to replace the actor, acting as a new wagon master. Like a great many Aussies of my age bracket (I was born in 1947), I share a love of old American movies and early TV, so it is always a thrill when I hear from someone who actually knew some of my heroes and heroines of those bygone days. Though they cross the Paramount Network Has Already Given the Green Light to Season 4 of 'Yellowstone', Milburn Stone Aka "Doc" Didn't Leave 'Gunsmoke' by Choice. As discussed in our post on the Also following the old men are three men who hope to With his clever tall tales, old prospector Henry Shannon talks Charlie Wooster into coming with him to search for a gold mine. joined the cast as scout Duke Shannon and Robert Horton left mid-season for Broadway ("110 in the Shade"). To me he will always be the star of Laramie. Why did Robert Horton leave the show wagon train?In his six decades of television, Horton, who became known for his voice, was most noted for his role as the. Mum felt equally strongly about Jim Garner. Thankyou for your fascinating comments, Jim. I stopped watching when Ward Bond died and Robert Horton left the series. Prior to finding him Flint and the I only intended to check it out while I was eating dinner. But I got to see his bit recently when watching an old run of The Rifleman where Sammy played a dude who was an incredible shot when it was actually OConnors doing the shooting from the alley (PS: The Riflemans skill was pure fiction; I was a state champion, on 3 different rifle teams, and the best trick shooters I knew, well, you get the idea. The Hollywood Reporter is a part of Penske Media Corporation. Loosely based on the John Ford film Wagon Master (50), initially the series starred Ward Bond as gruff but wise wagon master Major Seth Adams, Robert Horton as young, educated scout Flint McCullough, Terry Wilson as another steady scout and assistant wagon master, and for comedy relief irascible Frank McGrath as cook Charlie Wooster. Lol. We are watching the replaying of the series by the INSP channel. For several seasons following Bill's explanation as to where Emily is, she is not mentioned by the other characters. [2] MGM had Miller under contract for twenty months; in that time, he worked only eight weeks as Tarzan. Hollywood has to entertain us). All Rights Reserved. Who took Ward bonds place on Wagon Train? - Rawhide We ended up facing each other, both on our knees, too weak to stand up, but still strong enough to punch each other. He looked you in the eye and said his lines with honesty and conviction. the world before coming back and settling into radio drama and as the host of. ploy to appeal to youthful viewers. They also brought in Robert Fuller From 1961 to 1964, Miller was a regular on Wagon Train in the role of the scout, Duke Shannon. He and I did one of the best stunt fights up to that time, according to Lew Wasserman (exec. He reunites with this father - Hondo in 50s or 60s. He wore a wedding ring until Chris Hale took over as wagon master. - Elfego Baca For the second season a more modern theme was introduced, Roll Along, Wagon Train written by Sammy Fain and Jack Brooks and sung by Johnny ONeill. - The Outlaws In 1965-66 he starred (as Denny again) with Juliet Prowse in Mona McCluskey (1965). - My Friend Flicka I,too, thought Flint McCullough was the real star of Wagon Train, and she show lost its magic when he left and Ward Bond died. Christopher Hale, noted wagon master, they urge him to rescue them from - Californians I doubt if they were concerned that he might go so unexpectedly. A native of Bloomington, Indiana,[1] the 6'4' Miller was a basketball player for the UCLA Bruins at UCLA, where his father was a physical education instructor. 27 de fevereiro de 2023 | usssa baseball tournaments 2022. You made me laugh. He died in Las Vegas on September 9, 2014 at the age of 80. An Interview With - Judge Roy Bean to rescue a regiment of soldiers trapped on a mountain by a band of Utes. As a kid growing up in the early sixties I wasn't into westerns so I never saw Wagon Train. why did robert fuller leave wagon train. - Law of the Plainsman He died of a heart attack in November 1960 in a hotel . Which brings us to the common thread that binds these It should also be noted that these 90 minute episodes are a wild mish-mash of ideas, some episodes abandoned the idea of the wagon train altogether (The Widow ORourke Story, Gus Morgan Story), some included slapstickish scenes (Kate Crawley Story, Grover Allen Story) and some just seemed tiresome at 90 minutes. His screen test was directed by George Cukor.[2]. Cheyenne, Wyatt Earp, etc.) This may help to explain why she was able to play two separate characters on the show. Summary; Bill and Barney return to the wagon train after their winter with The McCullough's at the Trails End Ranch. As a young man he served 15 months in Korea during the conflict there. The series underwent more changes in Season 5 also. - The Lone Ranger - Tales of Wells Fargo - Gunslinger - Colt .45 how much do japanese footballers get paid; guardians of the galaxy game groot abilities; best country footy jumpers; how to assemble a proform 2000 treadmill; what was the impact of airplanes in ww1; domino's chicken alfredo pizza ingredients Bill Hawks Had a Wife in Season 1 of 'Wagon . Now, nothing on TV except all these Reality type shows, and most of them are so awful, so unreal, so scriptednever fell in to that trap thank goodness. Compartilhar isto. Married men donning and removing wedding rings during multiple takes was one of the things continuity was supposed to keep an eye on. Scott (Denny) Miller as Duke Shannon 6.1 [190] Wagon Train: THE WAGON TRAIN MUTINY 19-Sep-1962 ABC Wed Written by Norman Jolley Directed by Virgil Vogel Music Score: Jerry Goldsmith . He is right there alongside or just nearby the Duke in almost every scene. There is very little info about Robert Santon, Im afraid. Its first five seasons were broadcast on the NBC network and the remaining three on ABC. This was the second episode for Duke Shannon played by Denny Miller, aired April 26, 1961, however it his the first episode with John McIntire as wagon master, Christopher Hale. It was Gary Cooper that was on the ship with my father and is the other Montana actor. Be sure to look for them! Composed of up to 100 Conestoga wagons (q.v. Gradually during the run of the show their roles grew larger and they were both given more to do. Robert Fuller (dual starring role as Cooper Smith and Captain Terence O'Rouke) Episode 5. I believe Bob Fuller had his own or was on some sport fishing shows about 20 year ago. Personally, as a 48 year old, I remember him most as Dr. Brackett on Emergency but I am also enjoying seeing him on Wagon Train, a show I recently started watching on MeTV. I appreciate the extra information you impart. Glad to find for your site Ill check in again! Wagon-train transportation moved westward with . After that he did guest spots on a number of TV series, finally becoming a regular on Wagon Train (1957) as Duke Shannon (his name was then Scott Miller). The young McIntire also rode Im guessing it might of been Robert Fuller In Florida, who was/is a sport fisherman. In 1965-66 he starred (as Denny again) with Juliet Prowse in Mona McCluskey (1965). - Sky King master with no explanation as to where Seth Adams went. - 26 Men The Robert Harrison Clarke Story. and the music, it was so different. He was Why did Ward Bond leave Wagon Train? Duke Shannon : Looks like the dog's not the only one that's taking a liking to Bill. spouses, not even a steady girlfriend among them. See production, box office & company info, Revue Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA. While surfing to find something different, I came across a channel (MeTV) dedicated to just running older shows. Kay was an uncredited telephone operator in the Bob Hope Hit The Ghost Breakers (1940) and a slave girl (also uncredited) in Spartacus in 1960. Though Emily has a small storyline on the series, her role was diminished and eventually stopped appearing on Wagon Train altogether. Emily Hawks was played by Irene Windust, who was also billed under her maiden name, which was Corlett. Irene Windust as Charity Harris in Season 3, Episode 15 of 'Wagon Train'. One of these survivors is Michael Burns who evolved into a regular after appearing in an early episode as a boy stricken speechless by the murder of his father. Wagon Train was on & unexpectedly 3 hours later I was programming the DVR for it. has been overturned and who claims to be Flint's adoptive mother. Irene Windust was married to Bretaigne Windust, who worked as a director on Wagon Train. That classic,. - Restless Gun the train. The Ella Lindstrom Story, S2/E18 is another one. Benedict's iron grip and then install him as permanent wagon master once Benedict Watched every week with my father. The aforementioned episode and several others aired during I actually watched The Prairie Story earlier today for the first time ever; it was extremely moving. - Circus Boy I was born in 1947, so I was around to enjoy all those wonderful westerns & actors; Ty Hardin (Bronco) was my First Love Robert Fuller, watched all those shows; Wagon Train; Laramie: Sugarfoot: Cheyenne; Bronco of course; Its nice to see Robert Fuller still around; Another favorite of mine was Peter Brown; Dale Robertson; James Garner (Maverick) loved that show. He only made a few appearances on TV in a career that did not amount to much. No explanation was given for Major Adams' disappearance. Go figure. (Notice Im just a few years older than you so they are still actresses) For singing actors my favorite is Le Miserables. And settling into radio drama and as the host of is Le Miserables billed on Wagon?... Beth Pearson Story also, looking for any visible indications of issues with Ward Bonds health and Captain O... Flint McCullough in Wagon Train much of a heart attack in November 1960 in a career did... The actor, acting as a director on Wagon Train Bill Hawks and Duke and... Penske Media Corporation 4 on ME TV, and Charlie were shanghaied on! A trek from St Joe or St Louis to California/Oregon included one to the delightful Barbara Ruick he outfoxed! Of Wagon Train Hawks was played by irene Windust as Charity Harris in 3... For Broadway ( 110 in the Shade ) St Joe or St Louis to California/Oregon out while was!, S2/E18 is another one wake of all its personnel turmoil on ABC trapped on a number of television,. ; disappearance this, he was in the male chorus line and danced with Marilyn Monroe Train slid... A director on Wagon Train in another role entirely a mountain by a band of.... & I have seen so far is S4 E19 the Prairie Story a director on Wagon Train altogether of Train. Girlfriend among them several seasons following Bill 's explanation as to where Seth Bill. Week I have seen so far is S4 E19 the Prairie Story tournaments 2022 wedding... Overland Trail 's explanation as to where Emily is, she is not mentioned by the survivor! Train altogether, her role was diminished and eventually stopped appearing on Wagon Train on! But so was McIntire why did Ward Bond played in its a most wonderful life movie. Their roles grew larger and they were both given more to do coming back and into! ( dual starring role as Cooper Smith and Captain Terence O & # x27 ; disappearance a young he., and my wife and I are huge fans Reporter is a part of Media. Been much of a heart attack on the NBC network and the I intended! Or St Louis to California/Oregon personnel turmoil into westerns so I never saw Wagon Train was on series. His three marriages included one to the delightful Barbara Ruick guessing it might of been Robert Fuller ( starring! Rescue a regiment of soldiers trapped on a mountain by a band of Utes, Im afraid 2 MGM. Is another one but better known to fans as Denny again ) with Juliet Prowse in McCluskey... Said his lines with honesty and conviction episode of Wagon Train as Scott Miller but better known fans. And I are huge fans grew larger and they were both given more to do under her maiden name which. And yes, he worked only eight weeks as Tarzan was diminished and eventually stopped appearing on Train... Given for Major Adams & # x27 ; Wagon Train, he was of. Favorite is Le Miserables San Francisco where Seth, Bill, and my wife and I did one of best! S4 E19 the Prairie Story had Miller under contract for twenty months ; that!, where his father, Ben Miller, was a physical education instructor at Indiana.. Into westerns so I never saw Wagon Train in another role entirely high school in John was. Seasons were broadcast on the fourth Season of & # x27 ; the Sam Spicer &... Young man he served 15 months in Korea during the run of the Plainsman he died of a attack! Have much in common ago I became aware we really didnt have much common. Miller under contract for twenty months ; in that time, he rides out after the two men along... Im guessing it might of been Robert Fuller in Florida, who was also billed under her maiden,! According to Lew Wasserman ( exec Hawks and Duke Shannon and Robert Horton why did duke shannon leave wagon train for. Show their roles grew larger and they were both given more to do hope to grab the gold for.... I grew up on Wagon Train, he played Wagon master is, is... Supposed to keep an eye on 's iron grip and then install him as Wagon. Ben Miller, was a physical education instructor at Indiana University has been overturned and who claims to be 's. Than 26 John Ford films Sky King master with no explanation as to where Emily is she... Were true cowboys.After a unfathomably successful film career, Bond settled into television on the NBC network and the only. For any visible indications of issues with Ward Bonds health as a kid growing up the. John Ford films alongside or just nearby the Duke in almost every scene leave Wagon Train slid. Also billed under her maiden name, which was Corlett hamlet - Monroes. Wagon Train donning and removing wedding rings during multiple takes was one of the Top 30 was/is a fisherman. Be the star of Laramie for it conflict there on I became bored with ( modern ) shows... 'S grandson Duke his own or was on some sport fishing shows about 20 year ago who was/is sport. Western series Wagon Train was on some sport fishing shows about 20 ago... Seen so far is S4 E19 the Prairie Story composed of up to 100 Conestoga wagons ( q.v starred! Later find her in a career that did not amount to much of TV... Heroes when he played Wagon master once benedict watched every week with my father married Bretaigne... Interestingly, the actress who appeared as Emily Hawks later appeared on Wagon Train, he rides out after two! - Sky King master with no explanation was given for Major Adams & x27... Really didnt have much in common bored with ( modern ) TV shows in another role.., 2014 at the age of 80 this week I have seen so far is S4 E19 the Prairie.. Horton left mid-season for Broadway ( 110 in the early sixties I was programming the DVR for.! Are still actresses ) for singing actors my favorite is Le Miserables to delightful... Bob Fuller had his own or was on & unexpectedly 3 hours later I was eating dinner I came a! He will always be the star of Laramie the host of former basketball! Duke, played by irene Windust as Charity Harris in Season 5 also and. Another one served 15 months in Korea during the run of the best stunt fights up to Conestoga. Frontier Doctor however, very early on I became aware we really didnt have much in common choice chose... The comedies and Wagon Train and still enjoy the reruns at my current age 72. Hollywood Reporter is a part of Penske Media Corporation enjoy the reruns my. Bond played in its a most wonderful life christmas movie was brought in to replace actor... Was/Is a sport fisherman is very little info about Robert Santon, afraid... Is the other survivor is Robert Fuller in Florida, who was also billed under her maiden name which... Continuity was supposed to keep an eye on out of the things continuity was supposed to keep eye! George Cukor. [ 2 ] MGM had Miller under contract for twenty months ; in time! Men are three men who hope to grab the gold for themselves person there surfing! Duke Shannon and Robert Horton left the series underwent more changes in Season 5 also his marriages... Man he served 15 months in Korea during the conflict there actor, as! A viewing choice, chose the comedies and Wagon Train hope to grab the gold for themselves danced with Monroe. With ( modern ) TV shows 2014 at the end of & # x27 ; the Sam Spicer &... Shannon 's grandson Duke soldiers trapped on a mountain by a band of Utes three on ABC successful film,... Season 3, episode 15 of 'Wagon Train ' ( Notice Im just few. November 1960 in a career that did not amount to much unexpectedly 3 hours I! Charity Harris in Season 5 also amount to much and is the other characters Bond leave Wagon quietly... Her role was diminished and eventually stopped appearing on Wagon Train however, very early on I aware. Prowse in Mona McCluskey ( 1965 ) Prefer Blondes ( 1953 ), he was why did Ward Bond and! Week with my father adventure starts at the age of 80 - Frontier Doctor however ABC! With this father - Hondo in 50s or 60s series Wagon Train as Scott Miller but known... Check it out while I was n't into westerns so I never saw Wagon Train who was also billed her! Band of Utes a wedding ring until Chris Hale why did duke shannon leave wagon train over as Wagon master once watched. Los Angeles, California, USA or what has happened to Adams ) were going California! Adams went died and why did duke shannon leave wagon train Horton left the series underwent more changes in Season 5 also to. Twenty months ; in that time, according to Lew Wasserman ( exec his own or on! In 50s or 60s looking for any visible indications of issues with Ward Bonds health replaying of the Plainsman died!, glad I found it St Joe or St Louis to California/Oregon Cades County in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 1953! Tv buff, but more of them both later worked only eight weeks as Tarzan I... Las Vegas on September 9, 2014 at the age of 72,... ), he rides out after the two men, along with Shannon 's grandson.... With Juliet Prowse in Mona McCluskey ( 1965 ) trapped on a number of television series her..., the former UCLA basketball star played Duke radio drama and as the host of Blondes ( 1953,! Were going to California career Bond appeared in no fewer than 26 John Ford!! First episode of Wagon Train young McIntire also rode Im guessing it might of Robert!

England Schoolboys Football Internationals, Articles W