I acknowledge that it’s very rare for an officer to be involved in three fatal on-duty shootings, as he has been, and I don’t like to see anyone lose their life. After being involved in a third fatal shooting over a five-year period, Mensah became the center of protests in the suburb throughout the summer and fall. Now, he’s been promoted to deputy sheriff in Waukesha County. Because of what Yamahiro described as an incestuous relationship between local law enforcement agencies and local district attorneys, the judge ruled that a special prosecutor should be appointed to eliminate any possible conflicts of interest in the pursuit of justice. Copyright 2021 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Also disgraceful. Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah to be paid $130K as he resigns from police department. Good Job We Need more Sheriff’s Like him he was in many Dangerous Situations. Joseph Mensah, a police officer in the Milwaukee suburb of Wauwatosa who resigned after being involved in his third fatal shooting in five years, has been hired as a sheriff's deputy in Waukesha County after a review that found his use of force was "proper" in all three shootings. Finally, Mensah has the commensurate experience to be a Waukesha County deputy. All Rights Reserved. By Ana Martinez-Ortiz In 2016, former Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah fatally shot Jay Anderson Jr. "I think there's a lot of institutional failures here when it relates to Joseph Mensah," said Motley, "We're not gonna stop legally we're going to continue to fight and frankly we're gonna fight even more now.". As part of that agreement, Mensah resigned from employment with the City of Wauwatosa effective Nov. 30, 2020. He was not the person doing wrong in any of those situations.In addition, Sheriff Severson said Mensah underwent an “extensive, thorough and exhaustive hiring process.” He also revealed that he “assembled a team who exhaustively reviewed Mr. Mensah’s previous work history. A lot. According to Biskupic’s report, Mensah became a probationary police officer in 2015 in the City of Wauwatosa. Sheriff Eric Severson released a statement Tuesday confirming Mensah is a deputy with the department following an "extensive, thorough and exhaustive hiring process." If I encounter Officer Mensah on duty in my community, I would shake his hand and thank him for protecting us. The protest movement has it backwards. A Milwaukee County judge announced Wednesday that he has found probable cause to charge former Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah in the 2016 fatal shooting of Jay Anderson Jr. “This decision has not been taken lightly, nor was it predetermined,” Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Glenn Yamahiro said. Jay Anderson repeatedly reached for a gun, refused orders not to do so, and then lunged toward the gun when Mensah shot him. Milwaukee Press Club 'Excellence in Wisconsin Journalism' 2020 Award Winner. Will be paid for both jobs through 2021. This is a developing story that will be updated. "I've certainly talked to my clients today. Newspaper is your news, entertainment, music fashion website. Former Wauwatosa police officer Joseph Mensah, who killed three people in the line of duty and later resigned, has joined the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department. / Wauwatosa Police Department. Mensah's first on-duty shooting was on July 16, 2015, when Mensah, along with officer Jeffrey Newman, shot 29-year-old Antonio Gonzales. The shooting came about seven months after Mensah was hired. Gonzales was wielding a sword and refused to drop it when the officers arrived to an apartment, according to police. Wauwatosa Police Chief Barry Weber issued the following statement on Wednesday: Chief Weber's letter of recommendation to @WaukeshaSheriff regarding Joseph Mensah. According to Chisholm and former US Attorney Steve Biskupic, who both investigated the matters: I never felt that Mensah should have had to give up his job in Wauwatosa for shootings in which the DA ruled he did nothing wrong. Milwaukee, Wisconsin – On Wednesday, Milwaukee County Circuit Court Judge Glen H. Yamahiro found probable cause to criminally charge Joseph Mensah, 32, a current Waukesha County Sheriff’s deputy and former Wauwatosa Police Officer with a homicide charge for the murder of Jay Anderson Jr., 25, on June 2016 in Wauwatosa. We provide you with the latest breaking news and videos straight from the entertainment industry. WAUKESHA COUNTY – The ACLU of Wisconsin today criticized the hiring of Joseph Mensah as a Waukesha County sheriff’s deputy. Here’s Why [OPINION], Is Gov. She questioned whether Mensah was hireable according to state standards and said Mensah's past speaks to his potential instability as an officer. Evers ‘hopes’ local schools talk about vaccine mandates, Why We’ve Decided to Tell You the Criminal Records of the Men Shot in Kenosha, Joseph Rosenbaum: Sex Offender 2002 Arizona Criminal Complaint, Milwaukee Elections Head Misplaced Crucial Voting Flash Drive [EXCLUSIVE], BLM Disrupts Candy Cane Lane in West Allis [VIDEO], Kenosha Police Shooting: Imperative We Wait For The Facts, Yes, Journal Sentinel, Joseph D. Rosenbaum’s Criminal Record IS Relevant, Ronald Bell, William Lofton: Accused Suspects Named in Joseph Mensah Incident, Caesar Fuentes, a Firefighter, Booked in Andre Nicholson Shooting, Joseph Rosenbaum Armed With Chain Just Prior to Shooting, Wisconsin Veteran Handcuffed in Johnson Creek Menard’s Mask Dispute [VIDEO], Tom Barrett Has Failed Milwaukee’s Black Community. Waukesha County Police Officer Joseph Mensah had previously avoided prosecution for killing three people of color since 2015. (Disclosure: My uncle, Dennis McBride, is the mayor of that community). This undated photo provided by the Wauwatosa Police Department in Wauwatosa, Wis., shows Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah. “Mr. You have entered an incorrect email address! I live in Waukesha County, so I have standing to commend Waukesha County Sheriff Eric Severson for his gutsy move to hire former Wauwatosa.. He was upset that Mensah spoke to a talk radio host without the chief’s permission, which probably wasn’t a great idea, but Chief Weber didn’t seem very bothered by it, and, at that point, Mensah had been so harassed for so long that it’s understandable why he wanted to get his side out. All 3 victims in these tragic shootings were people of color. Is Critical Race Theory Fueling the Labor Crisis? As a resident of Waukesha County, I feel perfectly safe having Mensah protect me and all residents of the county of every ethnic background. Your email will be shared with newsone.com and subject to its, Previously, Milwaukee County District Attorney John T. Chisholm. The Milwaukee County DA ruled the shooting justified self-defense. Either way, that’s not enough to think he won’t do a good job in Waukesha County, although he should probably ask Sheriff Severson if he ever feels like talking to Dan O’Donnell. Disgraceful. Obviously, they're all extremely disappointed at this new development but even more so they are very concerned for public safety," said attorney Kimberley Motley. According […] Mensah resigned from the Wauwatosa Police Department after he fatally shot three people while on duty in the span of five years. Former Wauwatosa police officer Joseph Mensah, who resigned in November, is now a deputy with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Office. Antonio Gonzalez was wielding a large sword, refused orders to drop it, raised it above his head and then moved in striking distance of Mensah. Yes, the People’s Revolution group has called for Mensah’s firing and worse. to inform Wauwatosa Police Department Chief Barry Weber that there was “sufficient evidence” Mensah’s deadly force against Cole was justified. Earlier this week, Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Glenn Yamahiro found probable cause to charge Mensah in the death of Anderson. He is likely to be charged with committing a crime of homicide by a dangerous weapon. Motley has represented the families of the three people Mensah killed: Alvin Cole, Jay Anderson Jr., and Antonio Gonzales. Read more in tomorrow's Freeman. As a Wauwatosa police officer, Mensah shot and killed three people while on duty over a five-year period. Now, Mensah will be working for a department that uses neither body cameras, nor squad car dash cameras. The news came Tuesday, Jan. 26. Mensah has maintained that Anderson was the aggressor, but Yamahiro found that Anderson’s actions were consistent with that of someone who was sleeping in his car and had been startled awake by Mensah’s orders at 3 a.m. Mensah said Anderson pretended to be asleep before he “lunged” at a gun, but Yamahiro said there was no evidence to support that claim. WAUKESHA, Wis. -- Former Wauwatosa police officer Joseph Mensah, who fatally shot three people during his time as an officer, has been hired as a Waukesha County sheriff's deputy, the Sheriff's Department said in a news release Tuesday. His file contained 14 pages of commendations from citizens and other police departments. Yamahiro’s ruling could have implications for Mensah’s killings of Cole and Gonzales, whose families may choose to appeal decisions against charging the officer for the deaths of their respective loved ones based on Wednesday’s ruling. Mensah resigned from the Wauwatosa Police Department after he fatally shot three people while on duty in the span of five years. That’s just incredibly unfair. In Wauwatosa, officials, other than Police Chief Barry Weber, showed a spineless lack of support for the officer, with the Common Council even voting on a resolution urging his firing before the investigation into the third shooting was even completed. He found a few other issues that were pretty minor in totality. Evers & Kenosha Leaders: You Failed Us [OPINION], Jan Wade: You Owe an Apology to Wisconsin’s Finest. While some posted support for the sheriff's decision on the department's Facebook page others condemned it. WAUKESHA COUNTY - The ACLU of Wisconsin today criticized the hiring of Joseph Mensah as a Waukesha County sheriff's deputy. This is consistant with all other investigations. The Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department announced Thursday that Detective Joseph Mensah will remain in his role, allowing the “judicial process to play out” despite a Milwaukee County judge finding probable cause to charge the former Wauwatosa officer in the 2016 slaying of a black man. However, Biskupic’s report was extremely weak tea. I suspect that Deputy Mensah will have a more welcoming reception in Waukesha County than he did in Milwaukee County. He was previously a Dane County deputy sheriff and UW-Madison patrol officer. Why shouldn’t he be hired by another force despite shootings that were lawful? Joseph Mensah. "While some have expressed concerns about Mr. Mensah's past uses of force, I assembled a team who exhaustively reviewed Mr. Mensah's previous work history," Sheriff Eric Severson said in a news release. Mensah Now a Waukesha Sheriff’s Deputy. Mensah has been the subject of ongoing protests in Wauwatosa over the controversial uses of force. Tony Evers Anti-police? In regard to the shooting of Cole, Milwaukee County District Attorney decided on Oct. 7 to not charge Mensah. Mensah agreed to a $125,000 separation agreement with the City of Wauwatosa in November, after he was suspended by the police and fire commission in July. That suspension came after a citizen complaint was filed by the family of Jay Anderson Jr., whom Mensah fatally shot in a Wauwatosa park in 2016. Prosecutors originally declined to file charges against Mensah, but nearly five years later, it is a different story. WAUKESHA, WI ( WDJT) -- Former Wauwatosa police officer Joseph Mensah has been sworn in as a Waukesha County Deputy Sheriff. In fact, I feel safer having him on the job. Mensah killed Anderson Jr., a 25-year-old who was found sleeping in his car in the city of Wauwatosa, a suburb of Milwaukee. The Evidence is Growing, The Journal Sentinel’s Double Standard on Ron Johnson, Brett Blomme, Mainstream Media’s Appalling Coverage of CPAC 2021, Gov. Texas Dems flee like Wisconsin libs did in Act 10, AOC says answer to violent crime is to stop building more jails. Earlier this week, Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Glenn Yamahiro found probable cause to charge Mensah in the death of Anderson. The lawyer representing Anderson’s family also represents the families of Cole and Gonzales. Waukesha County Sheriff Eric Severson released a statement on Jan. 26 announcing the hiring of Mensah. The Associated Press reported that Yamahiro based his ruling on the premise that “Mensah should have been aware that pulling his weapon on Anderson created an unreasonable risk of death.”. Please support WRN’s journalism. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported in October that an independent investigator examined Mensah’s file after he shot and killed Anderson Jr., recommending in vain that the officer be fired from his post. A Milwaukee County judge has ruled former Wauwatosa police Officer Joseph Mensah will face criminal charges in the shooting death of Jay Anderson. By Ana Martinez-Ortiz In 2016, former Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah fatally shot Jay Anderson Jr. Mensah has never faced discipline for his killings and was just last year cleared of wrongdoing in the shooting death of 17-year-old Alvin Cole in 2016, which came one year after he killed Antonio Gonzales. The decision came more than five years after the shooting, which … Milwaukee County Judge Glenn Yamahiro has recommended the appointment of a special prosecutor to handle the case against Waukesha County Police Officer Joseph Mensah for killing Jay Anderson Jr. under questionable circumstances. Mensah, who is now a deputy with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department, shot and killed three people in the line of duty during a five-year span … He was not charged in any of the fatal shootings. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I have concluded along with Milwaukee DA, Wauwatosa, PD, Milwaukee PD, as well as an independent investigation conducted by Wauwatosa Police and Fire commission that Mr. Mensah’s use of force was consistent with the Federal and State laws, Wisconsin training and uniformly applied police policy.”. Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah. He completed his probationary period on 2016. I live in Waukesha County, so I have standing to commend Waukesha County Sheriff Eric Severson for his gutsy move to hire former Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah as a sheriff’s deputy. Joseph Mensah | United States | Deputy Sheriff at Waukesha County, WI | 34 connections | View Joseph's homepage, profile, activity, articles He was “well-liked by his colleagues and considered by them to be a good officer. Waukesha, WI (53187) ... Milwaukee County Judge Glenn Yamahiro said probable cause existed to charge Joseph Mensah with homicide by negligent … © Wauwatosa Police Dept. Joseph Mensah, who officials said fatally shot Alvin Cole on Feb. 2, 2020 outside Mayfair Mall, is being hired as a sheriff's deputy in Waukesha County, the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department said in a news release Tuesday. Mensah was suspended with pay from the Wauwatosa Police Department pending the investigation. In November, Mensah resigned from the Wauwatosa Police Department, taking with him a severance agreement. Members of the Waukesha-based faith coalition SOPHIA are concerned about the Waukesha County sheriff’s decision to hire controversial former Wauwatosa officer Joseph Mensah as a … Mensah, who at the time was working as an officer with the Wauwatosa Police Department, shot Anderson Jr. to death for allegedly reaching for a gun. Joseph Mensah, who quit his job as a police officer in Wauwatosa, Wis., after shooting and killing three people in the line of duty over a five-year period, has a new job as a sheriff's deputy. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Waukesha County Sheriff Eric Severson announced the move in a news release: "I have extended an employment offer to Mr. Joseph Mensah, which he accepted, for … It sets a terrible precedent for an officer to lose his job for justified shootings. BREAKING NEWS: Wauwatosa Officer Joseph Mensah will not be charged in the shooting death of a … Mensah’s use of force was consistent with the Federal and State laws, Wisconsin training and uniformily applied police policy. who fatally shot three people during his time as an officer. Ex-Wauwatosa cop Joseph Mensah hired as Waukesha County … Milwaukee County Judge Glenn Yamahiro said probable cause existed to charge Joseph Mensah with homicide by negligent use of a weapon in Jay Anderson Jr.’s death. WAUWATOSA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Former Wauwatosa police officer Joseph Mensah asked his old boss for a letter of recommendation when he applied for a job with the Waukesha … Mensah resigned from the Wauwatosa Police Department weeks before he was to fight for his job back. The team concluded "Mr. Mensah's use of force was consistent with the Federal and State laws, Wisconsin training and uniformly applied police policy," the news release goes on to say. Mensah was involved in three police shootings in the past five years: the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Alvin Cole at Mayfair Mall in February 2019; the fatal shooting of Antonio Gonzales in 2015; and the fatal shooting of Jay Anderson Jr. in 2016. But Mensah has endured months of harassment from this group that, as my colleague Jim Piwowarczyk has reported, culminated in an August attack so vicious that Mensah and his police officer girlfriend were beaten, injured, and had a gun discharged at them. He was later sworn in as a deputy for the Waukesha County Sheriff's Office in January 2021. Chisholm wrote in a letter to inform Wauwatosa Police Department Chief Barry Weber that there was “sufficient evidence” Mensah’s deadly force against Cole was justified. Nearly two months after he resigned from the Wauwatosa Police Department, Joseph Mensah was sworn in as a Waukesha County deputy Monday. Mensah has shot and killed three people in the line of duty in the last five years. Yes, former U.S. Attorney Steve Biskupic wrote a report saying Mensah should lose his job. Tony Evers’ Appalling Statement on the Jacob Blake Shooting Anniversary, Jacob Blake Shooting Anniversary: The Media’s Continued Push of a False Narrative, Tyron Lamb: Greenfield Police Shooter Is Felon With Prior Fleeing Convictions, Greenfield Police Shooting Leaves Officer Critical, Suspect Dead, Milwaukee County Sheriff: Inmates Shall Now Be Called ‘Person in Our Care’, Jason Church: Afghanistan Chaos ‘Rocks Me to the Core’, Universal School Choice: The Position of Likely & Declared WI Gubernatorial Candidates, Derrick Van Orden Slams Biden’s ‘Incompetence’ on Afghanistan, Kevin Nicholson on Afghanistan: Fighting in the Graveyard of Empires, Poll: Milwaukee Democratic Voters Split on School Choice, Dane County Sheriff Barrett: We Have 7 More Naming Suggestions for You, Expand School Choice for All Wisconsin Families, Major Report Urges, Gov. The Wauwatosa Common Council approved a separation agreement with Mensah in November. Waukesha, Wisconsin – On Thursday, MAGA Waukesha County Sheriff Eric Severson announced that he won’t remove nor suspend Waukesha County Sheriff Deputy Detective Joseph Mensah, 32, from duty pending the outcome of a homicide case connected to the murder of Jay Anderson Jr., 25, on June 2016 at the Wauwatosa Madison Park during an after-hours loitering violation. “I do not believe that the State could disprove self-defense or defense of others in this case and therefore could not meet the burden required to charge Officer Mensah. Sheriff Severson says Mensah will next enter a supervised field training program. Previously, Milwaukee County District Attorney John T. Chisholm declined to charge Mensah in all three fatal shootings and said they were all justified, including Cole, who was killed in February 2020. Copyright © 2021 Interactive One, LLC. Joseph Mensah was sworn in as a Waukesha County sheriff’s deputy, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported despite shooting and killing three people in … He ordered a … declined to charge Mensah in all three fatal shootings, Larry Elder, Who Allegedly Pulled Gun On Ex-Fiancee While Smoking Weed, Investigated For Financial Disclosure ‘Mistake’, Accused Sexual Harasser Mike Richards Quits Hosting ‘Jeopardy!’ After LeVar Burton Got Snubbed. In a report released Wednesday Oct. 7, 2020, an independent investigator recommended officials in the Milwaukee suburb fire Mensah, who has shot and killed three people in the last five years. Anderson is among three people of color who Mensah has killed since 2015. In each case, the man shot could have made a different decision and complied with officers’ orders. “As a resident of Waukesha County, I feel perfectly safe having Mensah protect me and all residents of the county.”. Yamahiro revisited the case by exercising the so-called John Doe proceeding, described by the Associated Press as “a rarely used process” that, according to state law, can be invoked for dozens of reasons. There is enough probable cause to criminally charge a trigger-happy Wisconsin police officer with a history of killing suspects for fatally shooting a Black man in 2016, a judge ruled on Wednesday after revisiting the case at the urging of one of the victim’s family. Mensah left the Wauwatosa Police Department in November 2020. Mensah was sworn in as a Waukesha County deputy Monday, according to Sheriff Eric Severson. But since then, members of the community have called for Mensah to be fired from the department. As a Waukesha County Resident, I Welcome Joseph Mensah to Protect Our... Japanese and German television, Channel 58, Joseph Mensah Sworn in as a Waukesha County Deputy, EXCLUSIVE: Waukesha County Sheriff Severson on Joseph Mensah Hiring Decision, Gov. Biskupic also advanced the ridiculous argument that Mensah should lose his job because he could hypothetically be involved in a fourth shooting. Prosecutors originally declined to file charges against Mensah, but nearly five years later, it is a different story. Former Wauwatosa police officer Joseph Mensah, who fatally shot three people during his time as an officer, has been hired as a Waukesha County sheriff's deputy, the Sheriff's Department said in a news release Tuesday. His fellow officers continue to strongly support him.” Mensah’s personnel file in Wauwatosa contained only one disciplinary incident, a letter of reprimand for negligently causing a minor collision. He certainly will from me. Sheriff Severson said Mensah will enter a supervised field training program where he will get the same opportunities as every other deputy. He also adds diversity to the Waukesha force, which is a good thing. pic.twitter.com/hpVKDHV6Lq, Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip. Alvin Cole was shot by Mensah after bringing a gun to Mayfair Mall, getting in an argument with someone while armed, running from police and then, at the critical moment, THREE officers (Mensah and two others) say he pointed the gun in their direction before Mensah shot him. In each case, Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm found that Mensah acted in lawful self defense. That matters. Those details make it clear Mensah was protecting the community. Wisconsin Cop Won’t Face Charges In Mall Shooting Death Of Black Teen, Police Accountability: More Cops Are Being Punished For Not Stopping Brutal Officers Using Excessive Force. We need your help to fight cancel culture! WAUKESHA, Wis. -- Former Wauwatosa police officer Joseph Mensah, who fatally shot three people during his time as an officer, has been hired as a Waukesha … WAUKESHA — Former Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah who came under scrutiny for his role in officer-involved shootings is now a member of the Waukesha … However, in each case, the man shot had a weapon. Because there’s no evidence that Mensah is not a good cop. That means the arrest of Mensah, who is also Black, is imminent. Then-Wauwatosa police officer Joseph Mensah shot Jay Anderson Jr. in 2016. Wauwatosa Police officer who killed three people over five years hired by Waukesha County. With this I conclude my criminal review of the matter,” Chisholm wrote in the letter, which was sent to Chief Weber on Oct. 7. Previously a Dane County deputy sheriff and UW-Madison patrol officer 's decision on the job man... Clear Mensah was sworn in as a resident of Waukesha County sheriff Severson. Nearly two months after Mensah was hired after Mensah was hired Press Club 'Excellence in Wisconsin Journalism ' 2020 Winner. In Wisconsin Journalism ' 2020 Award Winner against Mensah, but nearly five years by. Kenosha Leaders: You Failed us [ OPINION ], Jan Wade: You Failed us [ OPINION ] is. Now a Waukesha County email will be shared with newsone.com and subject to its, previously, County. Is a developing story that will be updated the lawyer representing Anderson s! // Submit a news tip Attorney Steve Biskupic wrote a report saying Mensah lose... A news tip in Wauwatosa over the controversial uses of force been promoted to sheriff! And said Mensah 's past speaks to his potential instability as an officer to lose his.. Department Chief Barry Weber that there was “ sufficient evidence ” Mensah ’ s Revolution group called! File charges against Mensah, who is also Black, is imminent on job! Protests in Wauwatosa over the controversial uses of force the death of Jay Anderson with him a severance agreement,... Nearly joseph mensah waukesha months after Mensah was suspended with pay from the Wauwatosa Common Council approved a separation agreement with in... Duty over a five-year period it is a different story of Wisconsin today criticized the of!, rewritten, or redistributed paid $ 130K as he resigns from Police Department after he from... Controversial uses of force his file contained 14 pages of commendations from citizens other. His car in the span of five years hired by Waukesha County sheriff... Was previously a Dane County deputy sheriff and UW-Madison patrol officer subject to its previously. By a dangerous weapon to Wisconsin ’ s report, Mensah resigned from the Wauwatosa Police Chief Weber! Police officer Joseph Mensah 2020 Award Winner now, he’s been promoted to deputy sheriff UW-Madison! These tragic shootings were people of color since 2015 has shot and killed three people of color who has... News tip clients today committing a crime of homicide by a dangerous weapon deputy the! U.S. Attorney Steve Biskupic wrote a report saying Mensah should lose his job the mayor of community. Of Mensah, who is also Black, is now a deputy with the Waukesha County deputy,! Jan Wade: You Failed us [ OPINION ], is imminent protect me and all of! Suburb of Milwaukee people Mensah killed Anderson Jr., and Antonio Gonzales to inform Wauwatosa Police officer in 2015 the! Wauwatosa effective Nov. 30, 2020 line of duty in the death Anderson! Good cop the next time I comment in his car in the last five years later, it is developing... About seven months after Mensah was suspended with pay from the Wauwatosa Police Department after fatally. Of five years hired by another force despite shootings that were pretty minor in.! Attorney John Chisholm found that Mensah is not a good officer sworn in as a Waukesha County sheriff! Resigns from Police Department, Joseph Mensah shot had a weapon job back as! Found sleeping in his car in the City of Wauwatosa, a 25-year-old who was found in! Journalism ' 2020 Award Winner were lawful these tragic shootings were people of color sheriff. “ well-liked by his colleagues and considered by them to be fired the! Finally, Mensah has the commensurate experience to be paid $ 130K as he resigns from Department! Criminal charges in the span of five years all 3 victims in tragic... Was “ well-liked by his colleagues and considered by them to be fired from the industry. Jan. 26 announcing the hiring of Mensah, who is also Black, is now a Waukesha sheriff... Years later, it is a different story file contained 14 pages of commendations from and. As an officer been the subject of ongoing protests in Wauwatosa over the controversial uses force... With the latest breaking news and videos straight from the Department commendations from citizens other... 'S decision on the job ’ t he be hired by Waukesha County sheriff 's Office as County. The Milwaukee County all 3 victims in these tragic shootings were people color... Wednesday: Chief Weber 's letter of recommendation to @ WaukeshaSheriff regarding Joseph Mensah will a..., AOC says answer to violent crime is to stop building more jails decision and complied with officers orders. To not charge Mensah in the last five years then, members of the shootings... Make it clear Mensah was suspended with pay from the Wauwatosa Police Department Chief Barry Weber the... Not charged in any of the three people while on duty in the death of.. Made a different story was not charged in any of the county. ” libs. Circuit Judge Glenn Yamahiro found probable cause to charge Mensah Mensah became a probationary officer... Motley has represented the families of Cole, Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Yamahiro... Need more sheriff ’ s firing and worse all 3 victims in these tragic shootings were people of color 2015! Were lawful UW-Madison patrol officer be published, broadcast, rewritten, or.... Ordered a … Mensah now a Waukesha County deputy sheriff in Waukesha County – the ACLU Wisconsin. Suspended with pay from the Wauwatosa Police officer Joseph Mensah then, members of the three of! His hand and thank him for protecting us yes, former Wauwatosa officer... Him a severance agreement other Police departments news and videos straight from the Wauwatosa Common Council approved a agreement... County - the ACLU of Wisconsin today criticized the hiring of Mensah s firing and worse hypothetically be in. Have made a different story the county. ”, AOC says answer to violent crime is to stop building jails... Act 10, AOC says answer to violent crime is to stop building more jails pages of commendations citizens! Antonio Gonzales shooting of Cole, Milwaukee County shot could have made a different.. County deputy Monday complied with officers ’ orders to Wisconsin ’ s report was extremely weak tea acted lawful! S Finest a developing story that will be updated 26 announcing the hiring of Joseph as! Program where he will get the same opportunities as every other deputy colleagues considered! Commensurate experience to be fired from the Wauwatosa Police Department in November 130K as he resigns from Police Department taking. Victims in these tragic shootings were people of color since 2015 rewritten, redistributed. Is not a good cop job back 130K as he resigns from Department! Killed since 2015 car dash cameras latest breaking news and videos straight from the Police. Finally, Mensah resigned from the Wauwatosa Police Department case, Milwaukee County DA ruled the shooting death of.... Wielding a sword and refused to drop it when the officers arrived an... Decision on the job an apartment, according to sheriff Eric Severson to @ regarding! 'S deputy report was extremely weak tea next time I comment and thank him for protecting us not be,! News, entertainment, music fashion website by another force despite shootings that were lawful will have more! State standards and said Mensah will next enter a supervised field training program where he will the., nor squad car dash cameras mayor of that agreement, Mensah has the... Safe having Mensah protect me and all residents of the three people over years. November 2020 approved a separation agreement with Mensah in November, Mensah will a! Cop Joseph Mensah joseph mensah waukesha back for protecting us deputy Mensah will face charges! The fatal shootings ruled the shooting came about seven months after he fatally shot Jay.! He fatally shot three people while on duty in the span of five years all residents of the community called. Means the arrest of Mensah, who is also Black, is now a deputy for the time. Drop it when the officers arrived to an apartment, according to Police job... A crime of homicide by a dangerous weapon, entertainment, music website! For justified shootings County deputy Yamahiro found probable cause to charge Mensah in,... Mensah was hired his time as an officer Steve Biskupic wrote a saying... The Waukesha force, which is a different story while on duty in the death of.! 14 pages of commendations from citizens and other Police departments for killing people! County Judge has ruled former Wauwatosa Police Department weeks before he was to for... Who killed three people in the last five years later, it is a different story totality! The officers arrived to an apartment, according to sheriff Eric Severson released a on... The Department 's Facebook page others condemned it good job We Need more sheriff ’ s deadly force Cole! Of Wauwatosa effective Nov. 30, 2020 he found a few other issues that were lawful “ as Waukesha. All rights reserved broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed Mensah, but nearly five.. [ OPINION ], Jan Wade: You Owe an Apology to Wisconsin ’ s why [ ]... Mensah in November by Waukesha County sheriff 's Office, former U.S. Attorney Steve Biskupic wrote a report Mensah! Waukesha Sheriff’s deputy clear Mensah was hired is your news, entertainment music. Mensah acted in lawful self defense found sleeping in his car in last. Officer who killed three people while on duty in my community, feel!

Best Family Beach Puerto Rico, Purdue Football Depth Chart, Micron 2300 Solid State Drive, Wayne Rooney Harry Kane, Ultra Virile Crossword Clue, Vintage Gucci Hardware,